Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2020, 07:03 AM - 2 Likes   #82006
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
In the fall, I would have to put on inside frost shields on the inside of the windshield of my '61 V dub, because of the extreme cold and the VW's poor defrosting and heating system....I didn't have a gas heater in the '61, had one in my '69 Beetle and what a difference it made.
I have never seen frost shields anywhere in the Lower 48, but they were a necessity on the side windows when I was in Alaska. VWs, Jeeps, and Scouts could use them on the windshield as well.
One of the guys I worked with had a bug with a gas heater, It worked so well that it could get uncomfortably warm at -50.

11-14-2020, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #82007
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
My favourite man in black, in history ......a toss up between Johnny Cash and Dale Earnhardt.
Definitely.
11-14-2020, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #82008
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.”

— James D. Nicoll, Usenet, 1990, rec.arts.sf.composition newsgroup.
Yes, my favourite language quote

I miss Usenet. At one point I had a complete archive of the rec.travel.africa newsgroup... I know, Usenet still exists, sort of, but I doubt there is much of interest there any more.
11-14-2020, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #82009
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

It's quite true. Out here we talk about the merits of having a big block (420cc) snowblower vs the easier maneuverability of a small block (208cc) snowblower engine. Do you really need a big engined snowblower unless you get more than the averages blizzards per year, which leads to big, hard crusted snow drifts. I tell you, it's a quandary !

Now, I could get into a discussion about why I have and more importantly..... need.....6 different types of snow shovels, one WORX snowplow which attaches to our 2 wheeled wheel barrow and an 5 hp (208cc)/ 24 inch dual stage snowblower. ....but non Canucks would drift off after the first 5 minutes of my explanation. As you say, it's a Canadian thing.
You will find lots of kindred spirits in Scandinavia and Finland, more the further north you go. That and snowmobiles. Snowmobiles are the main religion in those parts

11-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #82010
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
You might enjoy this one too ...

Dinner With the Russians | Cockburn's - YouTube

I have a bottle of Cockburn's Ruby. A tad too fruity for my taste, though.
11-14-2020, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #82011
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Somehow this use of words from other languages does not make English easier for foreigners to learn.
Whichever word is imported will be easily understood only by those speaking a language in the same family. (Unless you butcher the spelling and pronunciation in the process.) For everybody else it's just another foreign word.
11-14-2020, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #82012
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
On the up-side, there's always Dominoes'.
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I used to play dominoes with my brother when I was a kid.
I think they would be pretty hard on the teeth an the gut.
Memo Racer; don't try dominoes.
I think he is referring to the pizza delivery chain (a pizza I have only had once or twice in my life, it sucks).

I much prefer a local pizza place, if I order delivery, Sahara Pizza. Awesome pizza.

And they have a hydroplane.

11-14-2020, 09:04 AM - 4 Likes   #82013
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

It's quite true. Out here we talk about the merits of having a big block (420cc) snowblower vs the easier maneuverability of a small block (208cc) snowblower engine. Do you really need a big engined snowblower unless you get more than the averages blizzards per year, which leads to big, hard crusted snow drifts. I tell you, it's a quandary !

Now, I could get into a discussion about why I have and more importantly..... need.....6 different types of snow shovels, one WORX snowplow which attaches to our 2 wheeled wheel barrow and an 5 hp (208cc)/ 24 inch dual stage snowblower. ....but non Canucks would drift off after the first 5 minutes of my explanation. As you say, it's a Canadian thing.
Everyone needs a 454 cubic inch engine on their snowblower.

This baby can throw snow at your neighbour's neighbour.

I want one.
11-14-2020, 10:18 AM - 2 Likes   #82014
Pentaxian

I have never seen frost shields anywhere in the Lower 48, but they were a necessity on the side windows when I was in Alaska. VWs, Jeeps, and Scouts could use them on the windshield as well.
One of the guys I worked with had a bug with a gas heater, It worked so well that it could get uncomfortably warm at -50.
Two things it is said, were invented in Winterpeg. One was frost shields, another was the block heater. Some say.....necessity is the mother of invention. and given Winnipeg's extremely cold winters, I would agree.

My '69 VW with it's gas heater worked very well, but it could eat gas as if I had a big block Chevy V8...the 454 cubic inch variety, instead of the 96 cubic inch VW engine I had. The gas heaters could be thirsty little devils, but boy could they warm up the cabin of a VW. My girl friend of the time, really liked the gas engine...why I do know ?

---------- Post added 11-14-20 at 11:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Everyone needs a 454 cubic inch engine on their snowblower.

Firing up my Chevy V8 snow blower - YouTube

This baby can throw snow at your neighbour's neighbour.

V8 snowblower 2010 - YouTube

I want one.
I would like one too, Rat motor and all. I also want a small Kubota tractor with a 3 cylinder diesel and a front end loader on the front for my probably 45 feet of sidewalk, two car parking lot. My wife says no, she says that my 22 year old snowblower...MTD...with 208 cc flathead Tecumseh engine is just fine, which it is, but I would love to have that Kubota. Wonder if I can convince her that it would make a fine second car ?

---------- Post added 11-14-20 at 11:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
You will find lots of kindred spirits in Scandinavia and Finland, more the further north you go. That and snowmobiles. Snowmobiles are the main religion in those parts
Here too. Our neighbour has a ATV, snowmobile, 4WD Ram Truck, , but used to have a small Toyota pickup mounted on a '70's Chevy Blazer frame with a hotted up,350 V8, HD 4WD, 37 inch tires. He could almost use what he called his 'Toy Let' (Toyota-Chevrolet'=) as a snowmobile. Almost, but not quite.

---------- Post added 11-14-20 at 11:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I would say it's a Northern Norwegian thing. .

Our neighbour for example, has a ATV, snowmobile, 4WD Ram Truck, , but used to have a small Toyota pickup mounted on a '70's Chevy Blazer frame with a hotted up,350 V8, HD 4WD, 37 inch tires. He could almost use what he called his 'Toy Let' (Toyota-Chevrolet') as a snowmobile. Almost, but not quite.

Our son has a pickup truck with the HD off road package, 4WD, large all terrain tires, a BMW G/S...on/off road motorcycle and is looking at snowmobiles now. Winter is long, enjoy it with machines that can get you out on the road less taken, which I believe is also known as off the beaten path.

---------- Post added 11-14-20 at 11:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
We could let pharmaceutical companies create our universal language, they sure can make up some strange sounding words.

Safe travels come Monday Les!
Thanks Bob, I just wish the medical supply company was about 125 miles away through lovely back country.

Last edited by lesmore49; 11-14-2020 at 10:26 AM.
11-14-2020, 10:50 AM - 3 Likes   #82015
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

From a local NPR radio station story a few years ago.

QuoteQuote:
A woman, a new resident of the huge Snoqualmie Ridge development, had called in for pizza.

It was the first pie order for one of those new shiny houses, and Harold Nesland III, owner of Sahara Pizza, drove it over.

The woman was moving furniture into her brand new home. She was kind, Nesland said, and she had a little dog. Three days later, he delivered her another pizza. This time, she was moving her furniture out.

“She had taken her dog on a walk the very first day that she lived there,” Nesland said. “A cougar had jumped out of the bushes and ate her dog. And of course she wanted the police to go hunt the cougar. And the police said, ‘Ma’am, you moved into their home. Why would we hunt the cougar? It was just hungry.’

“And she moved back to New York.”
Citiots invading the wilderness East of Seattle, in an area that used to be great for hiking, camping, hunting. A lot of the people moving into the rampant, cancer like development are from other parts of the country, even the world.

And many have similar stories.

But hey, great pizza, from Sahara.
11-14-2020, 11:10 AM - 4 Likes   #82016
Pentaxian

From a local NPR radio station story a few years ago.

Citiots invading the wilderness East of Seattle, in an area that used to be great for hiking, camping, hunting. A lot of the people moving into the rampant, cancer like development are from other parts of the country, even the world.

And many have similar stories.

But hey, great pizza, from Sahara.
Reminds me of a conversation I had, 30 odd years ago with an old farmer. Where I was at, at that time was a big river that was flooding once again in the springtime. I was a part of the crew that had volunteered to sandbag around houses in a beautiful newer development.

An old guy came out to watch the action and we started up a conversation, He was a retired farmer and said this was all my land once. I was looking to retire and a developer came out and said I'd like to buy your riverbank farmland. I said well you should think about what I'm going to tell you and then he said to the developer...this is great farmland, every couple of years the soil is renewed because of flooding.

Y'see it's on a river flood plain and although that situation makes for wonderfully fertile farmland...it will flood out the houses you plan to build here, on a regular basis. So it's not good for a housing development. The developer said let me worry about that and paid him a very good price, enough for the farmer to retire comfortably.

The farmer said to me, I come out to see what is happening in this development every few years, during spring flooding, which is as regular as clockwork and has been since this area was first farmed in the 1820's. I've never surprised.

Fast forward a bit. Over the past few years, I notice that some of the people in the development have banded together and are calling for the government (your taxes and mine) to compensate them for the regular flooding...because of climate change. Well no, this flooding has been the situation in that flood plain location for eons before even farmers started farming it...200 years ago. Farmers loved the regular flooding because it renewed their farmlands and they knew it was....not... a place to put housing.

This area should never been used for housing .
11-14-2020, 11:20 AM - 2 Likes   #82017
Pentaxian

Yup, there’s a reason they call it the flood plain...
11-14-2020, 11:29 AM - 2 Likes   #82018
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Sahara.

Gonna splurge and order one up today.

If Mark lived a bit closer I'd buy the ingredients, head over to his place, and make one.

Oh, wait, quarantine.

Never mind.
11-14-2020, 12:03 PM - 2 Likes   #82019
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Oh, wait, quarantine.

Never mind.
Right. Go to your room!
11-14-2020, 12:32 PM - 3 Likes   #82020
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Right. Go to your room!
Gimme a minute.

......................................................................................

OK, I'm there.

Now what?
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »