Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
01-01-2021, 07:43 PM - 3 Likes   #83821
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
If I hit my thumb with a hammer, or a brick falls on my head, any women, children or sensitive types present will be extremely offended by the stream of profanities that spew forth from my pie hole.

And many will learn new words at that moment.

I ain't proud.

But it seems to relieve the discomfort a bit.
I can even swear in Spanish, French and German.

I'm multilingual.

01-01-2021, 08:46 PM - 4 Likes   #83822
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Seven weeks to the Super Bowl of racing, the Daytona 500.
01-01-2021, 09:18 PM - 2 Likes   #83823
Pentaxian

Seven weeks to the Super Bowl of racing, the Daytona 500.
That event is my first signal that winter...ice and snow....maybe over sometime within the next 6 weeks following. Or not.

A buddy and his wife went to the Daytona 500 a number of years ago. They live in the same wintry place I live. They were at the practice sessions, anytime they could get in. It was about 45-50 degrees F. and he was sitting in the stands in jeans, T shirt and plaid Shirt Jac and more than comfortable. There were some Florida residents who were bundled up in parkas, toques and one asked him, geez, aren't you cold dressed so lightly ?

He replied, nope, where I come from this is late April spring weather.

I suppose it is like many other things. People just adjust to whatever conditions are, over an extended period.

He enjoyed the events, race, walking the steeply banked track, etc.

I've never been there, but I would like to see some of the vintage race cars at the museum. Cars like '59 Chevies, the Jr. Johnson '63 Impala (if there) with the 427 'Mystery Motor' that run off and hid from other cars in the qualifying runs.

Lots of stuff to see in Florida.

Wonder what the 2021 race will be like ? Will there be an spectators , etc.? I haven't kept up.
01-01-2021, 10:40 PM   #83824
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Nay, Tim, it’s gone. Virtually uprooted. Not only losing this year’s bumper crop, but will get nothing from a new tree next year and then only small crops for the next few. The new little Pink Lady apple next to it is bearing for the first time and it suffered a bit of damage but survived.
I was afraid that was what you meant. When I was in Adelaide I grew about 20 fruit trees. Apples were not among them because of the codlin moth pest and living close to the Adelaide Hills apple growing areas.

01-02-2021, 06:53 AM - 7 Likes   #83825
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A very nice visit with son and family yesterday. New granddaughter didn't want to be held by anyone other than mom or dad.
Grandson Bobby is a dinosaur nut. He'll only be 3 in April, but can name all of the major dinosaur species.
We had our Christmas gift exchange. I had told my son I wanted a dual sided wooden salt box, he went the extra mile and had it engraved.
One side for kosher salt, the other for Maldon.

01-02-2021, 07:43 AM - 5 Likes   #83826
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
That event is my first signal that winter...ice and snow....maybe over sometime within the next 6 weeks following. Or not.

A buddy and his wife went to the Daytona 500 a number of years ago. They live in the same wintry place I live. They were at the practice sessions, anytime they could get in. It was about 45-50 degrees F. and he was sitting in the stands in jeans, T shirt and plaid Shirt Jac and more than comfortable. There were some Florida residents who were bundled up in parkas, toques and one asked him, geez, aren't you cold dressed so lightly ?

He replied, nope, where I come from this is late April spring weather.

I suppose it is like many other things. People just adjust to whatever conditions are, over an extended period.

He enjoyed the events, race, walking the steeply banked track, etc.

I've never been there, but I would like to see some of the vintage race cars at the museum. Cars like '59 Chevies, the Jr. Johnson '63 Impala (if there) with the 427 'Mystery Motor' that run off and hid from other cars in the qualifying runs.

Lots of stuff to see in Florida.

Wonder what the 2021 race will be like ? Will there be an spectators , etc.? I haven't kept up.
I've been to southern Florida, when it was about 70 degrees, and witnessed the locals wearing parkas, while I went about my business in jeans and T-shirt.. Silly people.

Never been to the speedway at Daytona, but passed by. Looks like my kind of place.

I have been to Talladega though.

Turn 4 at 155 miles an hour. The car we were in had a speed limiter programmed into the ECM, at 156, so 155 was it.

The turn 4 pedestrian tunnels to the infield.

The Camaro pace car I rode in, my chauffeur Jeffery Earnhardt (Dale senior's grandson), and a fat Racer.

I don't know how things will play out this year, but all racing organizations are gearing up for the coming season. It would appear that everyone is going to continue taking proper precautions, maintain social distancing, etc. Who knows?

Last edited by Racer X 69; 01-02-2021 at 07:49 AM.
01-02-2021, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #83827
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
A very nice visit with son and family yesterday. New granddaughter didn't want to be held by anyone other than mom or dad.
Grandson Bobby is a dinosaur nut. He'll only be 3 in April, but can name all of the major dinosaur species.

Our only grandchild will be three in late January and his biggest fascination is dinosaurs. One of his names is Robert. He goes by another name, but Robert is in there.

Now I know we have the Bob list on this august thread, and I'm #2 and you're # 1. But it may behoove us sometime in the future, to add these two new Bob's, perhaps at first as just merely honorable Bob's, with a view to eventually making them full fledged Bob's.

I humbly submit this proposal to you, as Bob #1 for further consideration and possibly remarks.

BTW, I like that Xmas gift. So well named.

01-02-2021, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #83828
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
One side for kosher salt, the other for Maldon.

Maldon.

Is that some sort of dinosaur salt?
01-02-2021, 07:52 AM - 2 Likes   #83829
Veteran Member

Looks like a beautiful sunny morning out , better get my act together and get out before it disappears
But first tea....

---------- Post added 2nd Jan 2021 at 09:53 ----------

Maldon.

Is that some sort of dinosaur salt?
It is fantastic finishing salt (the smoked maldon is too ... but Bob can smoke his own ..)
01-02-2021, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #83830
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
( ... but Bob can smoke his own ..)
Isn't that still illegal in most places?
01-02-2021, 08:01 AM - 2 Likes   #83831
Veteran Member

Isn't that still illegal in most places?
I say smoke em if ya got em
01-02-2021, 08:03 AM - 3 Likes   #83832
Pentaxian

I've been to southern Florida, when it was about 70 degrees, and witnessed the locals wearing parkas, while I went about my business in jeans and T-shirt.. Silly people.

Never been to the speedway at Daytona, but passed by. Looks like my kind of place.

I have been to Talladega though.

Turn 4 at 155 miles an hour.

The turn 4 pedestrian tunnels to the infield.

The Camaro pace car I rode in, my chauffeur Jeffery Earnhardt (Dale senior's grandson), and a fat Racer.

I like to think of myself as an enthusiastic driver, but hitting that corner...banked or not...at 155 mph...geez Louise. Of course the only time I've traveled at a speed of 155 mph or more, was in a 747.

It would be quite something to ride with an Earnhardt . I would imagine Jeffrey didn't just doddle around the track in that Camaro.

If I ever get to Germany I would want to go for a ride around the Nurburgring track with Sabine Schmitz in the BMW ring taxi.

sabine schmitz - Bing video
01-02-2021, 08:09 AM - 3 Likes   #83833
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
If I ever get to Germany I would want to go for a ride around the Nurburgring track with Sabine Schmitz in the BMW ring taxi.

sabine schmitz - Bing video
That looks like fun.

But if I were to find myself at the Nurburgring, I would rent a Porsche and take a few laps on my own.
01-02-2021, 09:21 AM - 2 Likes   #83834
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

If I hit my thumb with a hammer, or a brick falls on my head, any women, children or sensitive types present will be extremely offended by the stream of profanities that spew forth from my pie hole.

And many will learn new words at that moment.

I ain't proud.

But it seems to relieve the discomfort a bit.
It does help. Intelligent people have a broader repertoir of swearing words, too. Read, swear, and be proud.

Swearing Is Actually a Sign of More Intelligence - Not Less - Say Scientists

Swearing: The Fastest Acting Pain Reliever Of Them All.
01-02-2021, 09:35 AM - 5 Likes   #83835
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
It does help. Intelligent people have a broader repertoir of swearing words, too. Read, swear, and be proud.

Swearing Is Actually a Sign of More Intelligence - Not Less - Say Scientists

Swearing: The Fastest Acting Pain Reliever Of Them All.
Interesting.

Still, I maintain that profanity is the linguistic tool of the inarticulate.