Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2021, 06:17 AM - 3 Likes   #85171
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Why is F and C so far apart until it gets damn cold?
-37C is -34.6F, according to my online conversion gadget.
But as my sister keeps telling me it’s a dry cold ..... otoh last night she said looks like no long dog walks along the River this week .... good thing they have a yard for the pooch and a couple of fireplaces to supplement the furnace

02-08-2021, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #85172
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I read somewhere that our body temperature is, on average, lower than it used to be
Mine runs around 97, or lower, unless I'm mad.
02-08-2021, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #85173
Veteran Member

Mine runs around 97, or lower, unless I'm mad.
never paid much attention until recently, I seem to be pretty consistent at 36.6 (a number of places I have been .. Dentist etc) take read when you go in and I have an instant-read one at work now too
02-08-2021, 07:56 AM - 4 Likes   #85174
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey #2, I know you're a GM lover, so here ya go, in case you missed it:

02-08-2021, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #85175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
But as my sister keeps telling me it’s a dry cold ..... otoh last night she said looks like no long dog walks along the River this week .... good thing they have a yard for the pooch and a couple of fireplaces to supplement the furnace
Dry cold isn't as cold as the cold around here. (I lived in Timmins for 6 year and came home in -40 a couple of times.) Hint, don't take your mitts off to try and manage an exterior door knob that you are having trouble opening unless you have good supply of urine built up in your bladder. I have no clue what the ladies do.

Last edited by normhead; 02-08-2021 at 08:43 AM.
02-08-2021, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #85176
Pentaxian

Same type of weather we have here (although not nearly as cold here on the coast!). Average mean for the last week is around -10 here.

Further inland it's more like the Peg:
It's days like this when I wonder why people live in climates where it gets this cold. Although, my ancestors have been here since 1879, when they moved from southern Ontario (warmer winters) to farm unbroken prairie land here. The farm land is really good out here. I guess that's why people moved out here.

I don't care for the cold, once it gets down to -35 to -40 or colder. Metal things like outdoor door hinges, etc, get brittle and break. I had to go out this morning and plug in our SUV for the first time, since we got it a year ago. Finally found the block heater cord tucked in the engine frame, but then it was held tightly by a HD zip tie. Went back into the house for clamshell scissors, cut and plugged in.
02-08-2021, 08:34 AM   #85177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Dry cold isn't as cold as the cold around here. (I lived in Timmins for 6 year and came home in -40 a couple o times.) Hint, don't take your mitts off to try and manage an exterior door knob that you are having trouble opening unless you have good supply of urine built up in your bladder. I have no clue what the ladies do.
Yeah, yeah that's what we hear. Right. When it gets to -35 or colder, cold is cold, it can be punishing. Although my daughter says that in Vancouver she wouldn't want to live there as by the ocean, even though it doesn't get near as cold, the damp cold goes to your bone and she prefers a prairie cold. Although in Vancouver, things don't snap from the cold,

02-08-2021, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #85178
Pentaxian

Hey #2, I know you're a GM lover, so here ya go, in case you missed it:

https://youtu.be/mdsPvbSpB2Y
#1, I did miss it. Thx for posting. Those Super Bowl commercials are always good. Thing that puzzles me, is why can't they make good, humorous commercials all year round ?
02-08-2021, 08:47 AM   #85179
Pentaxian

What, another Canadian bacon hater?!

Riiiight.....
No, no I really do like Bacon, but the back (Canadian) variety. We did try some low fat, low salt or low something bacon on Xmas day, but we didn't care for that. Whatever it was low in, it tasted like the old Diet Coke, compared to the real Coke.

For some foods, it has to be the real thing. I think that was a Coke advertising slogan way back, but they were right.

So will stick with traditional bacon.
02-08-2021, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #85180
Pentaxian

Why is F and C so far apart until it gets damn cold?
-37C is -34.6F, according to my online conversion gadget.
I don't know, To me it doesn't make any sense. I'd ask my wife for an explanation, she's the science teacher, but I'd probably just glaze over after the first detailed sentence or two. I'd start thinking about bacon.

Late breaking news. She says the scales come together at -40 f and -40 C, but by then you're too damned cold to care, as you start to just want to lie down and sleep in a snow bank.
02-08-2021, 08:57 AM   #85181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
She is right. If I was just in the house, with no thermometers, TV, Radio or other way of knowing how cold it was outside here, I can always tell when it's frigid , by how the many people are out there on the streets walking fido. The number plunges when it gets extremely cold.
02-08-2021, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #85182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I don't know, To me it doesn't make any sense. I'd ask my wife for an explanation, she's the science teacher, but I'd probably just glaze over after the first detailed sentence or two. I'd start thinking about bacon.

Late breaking news. She says the scales come together at -40 f and -40 C, but by then you're too damned cold to care, as you start to just want to lie down and sleep in a snow bank.
I remember being sent out to play in -55f at recess when we lived in Winnipeg. wonder if they still do that to kids (took more time to get bundled up than recess lasted lol)
02-08-2021, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #85183
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
No, no I really do like Bacon, but the back (Canadian) variety. We did try some low fat, low salt or low something bacon on Xmas day, but we didn't care for that.
Well, of course. Who likes low taste bacon?
02-08-2021, 09:00 AM   #85184
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Not damn cold here this morning; just cold. -6. It's starting to get Wintry.
North Dakota, your northern neighbour is around -33 F, at least in Grand Forks which is not too far from here.
02-08-2021, 09:02 AM - 3 Likes   #85185
Veteran Member

could be worse... the coldest day in Canadian history -81.4F !!!!!!

The Coldest Day in Canadian History | Our Canada

makes my basement chilly office seem like mexico