Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2021, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #85306
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I avoid that problem by using 6 point sockets instead of 12 point.
On bicycles there are a few nuts that are very large across the flats but very thin and require fairly substantial torque, so they're easily rounded off. The best tool for them is a large adjustable wrench. Play can be completely eliminated before applying any force.
I have a few Crescent wrenches too. They are handy. I also have a couple of good sets of double ended wrenches with a wide range of size, in Metric, Imperial and Whitworth. As you are, I'm very careful to choose the right tool and size, before I start working. I have found that if I don't, I usually cause myself a whole heap of unnecessary work.

I've learned a thing or two about tools in my life, which I could of learned from my grandfather or father much earlier, if I only listened to them, when I was a kid. But I didn't. I had to go and find out myself ....usually by trial and error.

When I've bought either hand or power tools, in about the last 30 years, I've always bought the best I can afford.

Before that I bought the cheapest I could find, and from poor experience using the cheapies, I determined I wasn't getting any bargains, just a lot of frustration and literally 'screwed' up work.

02-10-2021, 03:10 PM - 9 Likes   #85307
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I had to go and find out myself ....usually by trial and error.
People learn differently.
Some learn by listening.
Some learn by reading.
Some learn by watching.
There are some, though, that just have to pee on the electric fence to see for themselves.
02-10-2021, 03:12 PM - 2 Likes   #85308
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
yyyy/mm/dd is what I use. It's equally incremental.

I store my files in folders by the year. It makes no sense to put the month or day first.
For years I've used yyyy/mm/dd for emails & files in my electronic "filing system" because that puts the emails/files in reverse order in relevant folders - makes it very easy to track down a particular email/file (as long as I know the year in question - I generally do because I became an "obsessive" about keeping track of "useful information")

PS: I try to put the date coding as the first part of a file name which makes the system even more straihtforward.

Last edited by jeallen01; 02-10-2021 at 03:17 PM.
02-10-2021, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #85309
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
People learn differently.
Some learn by listening.
Some learn by reading.
Some learn by watching.
There are some, though, that just have to pee on the electric fence to see for themselves.
My learning has been eclectic...I have learned from all of the above, although there has been one exception....and that is learning from peeing on a plugged in, fully charged fence.

In that case, that would have to be classified as 'electric'.

02-10-2021, 05:14 PM - 3 Likes   #85310
Veteran Member

Just registered at the 6th place for the vaccine.
As always, they wanted my birth date in the form of mm/dd/yyy, the way it should be.
Some sites have a list of years to choose from, that's when I feel really old scrolling back so far.
02-10-2021, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #85311
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
mm/dd/yyyy makes no sense, but yyyy/mm/dd does?
That's a head scratcher.
Hi Bob

re read your statement ..... carefully..

That is what the rest of the world is saying
02-10-2021, 05:39 PM - 2 Likes   #85312
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a Happy anniversary for me

I just realized it's been 50 years since I started using a "real" camera (a speed graphic vs an instamatic).

I haven't yet decided how much I should celebrate or save the money for another lens or something else camera related. I'll definitely go take some pictures (when the temperatures get over 25 deg F here).

02-10-2021, 06:14 PM - 2 Likes   #85313
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Bob
re read your statement ..... carefully..
That is what the rest of the world is saying
Now you're trying to confuse me #2.
I was referring to Tim's post when he said:
"It makes no sense to do mm dd yyyy.
What makes sense is to choose dd mm yyyy, like most western countries"
See the ? at the end of my statement, as in that makes sense?

Let's get back to common ground, bacon, back or belly it doesn't matter!
02-10-2021, 06:41 PM   #85314
dbs
Pentaxian

Now you're trying to confuse me #2.
I was referring to Tim's post when he said:
"It makes no sense to do mm dd yyyy.
What makes sense is to choose dd mm yyyy, like most western countries"
See the ? at the end of my statement, as in that makes sense?

Let's get back to common ground, bacon, back or belly it doesn't matter!
If it makes no sense then why use it ?

It makes lots of sense to have BACON though
02-10-2021, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #85315
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Great story, interesting character development and a fascinating (to me) look at Sutton Hoo.

In the last 20 years or so, I've become very interested in archeology. With so much new equipment, such as ground penetrating radar, seemingly ever improving metal detecting machines, etc. now being employed more by archeologists , to assist in their discoveries, more ancient stuff seems to be uncovered. A lot of this equipment comes from industrial uses and then is used by those in the history and archeology fields .

There are a lot of interesting books out there that examine and provide historical interpretation of some of the archeological findings.

Also some TV shows, such as The Curse of Oak Island that look at a North American mystery. I like the show, although I do think the title incorporating the words 'The Curse' smacks of overt media marketing a bit. But aside from that some of the stuff they are picking up....appears to have very old, pre settlement European origin. Makes me raise an eyebrow (my right one) as to why some of this stuff would be on an isolated island on the Atlantic, off the coast of Nova Scotia.
That metal detector guy from Grimsby does find some "bobby dazzlers".
02-10-2021, 07:38 PM   #85316
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
That metal detector guy from Grimsby does find some "bobby dazzlers".
02-10-2021, 07:47 PM   #85317
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I like the metric system too.

But I work for a company that refuses to change. We build large commercial airliners to the nearest thousandth of an inch. We use fasteners that are sized by 1/64” increments in diameter, and 1/32” increments in length.

*sigh*

It would be so much easier to do it with a base 10 measurement system.
You might think that, but I was the last generation taught Imperial measurement in Canada and worked much of my trade career in metric, starting 50 years ago, and I still have to convert to inches to understand how much snow 20 cm is.

It might be easier for the next generation, but probably not for you.
02-10-2021, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #85318
Pentaxian

You might think that, but I was the last generation taught Imperial measurement in Canada and worked much of my trade career in metric, starting 50 years ago, and I still have to convert to inches to understand how much snow 20 cm is.
I do too. Snow measured in cm is something that I have to convert in my mind to 'picture' in my mind how much actual snow that is....about 8 inches.

My wife tells me that 30 cms is a foot, so 20 cms. is 2/3rds and that would be 8 inches. But the thing is, I have to ask her every single time ....how much snow 20 cms is in inches. It does not compute in my mind.
02-10-2021, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #85319
Pentaxian

mm/dd/yyyy makes no sense, but yyyy/mm/dd does?
That's a head scratcher.
yyyymmdd makes it easy to sort dates in the database, whether you use numeric or alpha (‘yyyymmdd’).
02-10-2021, 08:39 PM   #85320
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

It might be easier for the next generation, but probably not for you.
I can tell you that 20 cm of snow isn't enough to go skiing.

Need at least 75 to 100. Otherwise the slopes will have bare spots.