Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108814 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2021, 01:13 PM   #85876
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I only knew of Oshkosh (B'gosh) being a brand of kids clothes, and a city in WI, didn't know about the vehicles.
I only know about the air show and the vehicles, not the clothes! LOL

02-26-2021, 01:44 PM   #85877
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The Oshkosh air show is world famous.

I read that wrong!
02-26-2021, 01:56 PM - 3 Likes   #85878
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice little plane. How did your mom get into flying and become a pilot. Had she been in the military, as I know up here, that a lot of times is the route people follow to get into flying. For example, my son's friend who was in the Royal Canadian Air Force- Cadets (as was my son) and got his pilot's license through that organization. The Cadets are a military organization for people from I think, age 12 to 18 and is run by Canadian military personnel. Very good organization and young people can learn a lot about life there.

A story. Back in the early 2000's when my son was 13-14 years old, just before having to have a passport to cross back and forth the international US/Canada border became the rule, the two of us, one afternoon went to Grand Forks, North Dakota to watch the sprint car races at the local track. He didn't have a passport so the US customs official asked if he had two sources of ID, which was good enough at that time. He had his school ID card, with pix and he had his RCAF Cadet ID card with pix.

The border guy looked at his school ID card , but was impressed with his RCAF Cadet card, due to the fact that it military and waved us through.

On the way back after we saw the races (very good, competitive) we stopped at the McDonald's just by the exit to the northern part of the interstate back to Canada.

We ordered our food and the clerk asked if we had any military affiliation...10 % discount....and I remembered my son's RCAF Cadet card, mentioned that, our son showed the clerk and we got our food and discount. I was impressed with the support the Americans had for the military.
Mom was a kept woman until I was in my early teens, as dad was old school and didn’t approve of women working outside the home. She worked a few jobs in agriculture when we lived in Oregon, then when we moved back to Washington she got a secretarial job at the local flight school. By the time I was 18 she had started taking flying lessons, and got a private pilot’s license. At some point she partnered up with three other people and they bought this little yellow plane. One by one the other partners sold out to the remaining ones, until it was only her.

I went up with her many times, always taking the controls. I was going to get a license myself, but life happened and I never did.

But I know how to do preflight inspections, and how to take off, fly and land an airplane, I even know how to navigate, calculate fuel consumption and all the other details required to safely fly an airplane.

And of course I also have right seat time in a Mitchell B25 bomber.

Mom sold that Yankee to a guy in California. He decided that he was going to fly to Oshkosh in it. Got somewhere over Kansas, was running low on fuel, and became fearful of running out. He decided to land in a field, and chose a freshly plowed one over one that had only been harvested. The loose soil of the freshly turned earth wasn’t a good choice. The landing gear sank into the soil, and the plane did a ground loop, destroying the airframe.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 02-26-2021 at 08:15 PM.
02-26-2021, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #85879
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I only know about the air show and the vehicles, not the clothes! LOL
Not only do the make kids clothes, they make stuff for adults too.

Union made even.

Look for the union label,

Live better, work union.

Attached Images

02-26-2021, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #85880
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lest I say something unkind, I'll just say: "Interesting designs they have there!"
02-26-2021, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #85881
Pentaxian

Lest I say something unkind, I'll just say: "Interesting designs they have there!"
To paraphrase Lord Palmerston, you are the soul of diplomacy.
02-26-2021, 02:40 PM - 2 Likes   #85882
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Mom was a kept woman until I was in my early teens, as dad was old school and didn’t approve of women working outside the home. She worked a few jobs in agriculture when we lived in Oregon, then when we moved back to Washington she got a secretarial job at the local flight school. By the time I was 18 she had started taking flying lessons, and got a private pilot’s license. At some point she partnered up with three other people and they bought this little yellow plane. One by one the other partners sold out to the remaining ones, until it was only her.

I went up with her many times, always taking the controls. I was going to get a license myself, but life happened and I never did.

But I know how to do preflight inspections, and how to take off, fly and land an airplane, I even know how to navigate, calculate fuel consumption and all the other details required to safely fly an airplane.

And of course I also have right seat time in a Mitchell B25 bomber.

Mom sold that Yankee to a guy in California. He decided that he was going to fly to Oshkosh in it. Got somewhere over Kansas, was running low on fuel, and became fearful of running out. He decided to land in a field, and chose a freshly plowed one over one that had only been harvested. The loose soil of the freshly turned earth wasn’t a good choice. The landing gear sank into the soul, and the plane did a ground loop, destroying the airframe.
I had a buddy in the '70's who had a private pilot's license and he had to get so many hours flying time to keep his license valid. I went flying with him every so often. I would kick in about $ 25 , he would pay the other $ 25 and that would pay for the plane rental for an hour or so. I remember taking my camera ...a Pentax ES ll and my one and only telephoto at the time a Pentax Takumar 135mm F 3.5 ...all of which I still have...and snap some pix. He flew over my place of work and I snapped a pix or two of the roof. It was Sunday, so no one was at work.

I bet your mom had an adventurous life. Seems like a person who really enjoyed life.

02-26-2021, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #85883
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The EAA Fly In at Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh, every year late July, early August.

My mom flew her little American Yankee AA1A there twice, all the way from Paine Field in Everett, Washington.
Your mom is cool. I have spoken.
02-26-2021, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #85884
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
In the seventies, I lived in Nigeria and made friends with a Dutch couple. The husband was born in Surinam and worked for a US company. He spoke English with a American accent. The wife, born in Holland spoke only a few words of English. We found that if we spoke in our native broad Yorkshire dialect, we would communicate quite well.
It perhaps is a testament to the longevity of linguistic roots that when we use languages or dialects with strong historic roots we are able to communicate with a broader set of people.🙂
02-26-2021, 03:45 PM - 2 Likes   #85885
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not only do the make kids clothes, they make stuff for adults too.
Yes, I remembered the adult bibs and coveralls too.
02-26-2021, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #85886
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Yes, I remembered the adult bibs and coveralls too.
I have some insulated coveralls from a store called Farmer's Supply up here, which I don't think is in business anymore.

These coveralls, are exceedingly warm.

In my younger days when I used to go ice fishing, I would wear these, along with my Stanfields' long johns, XL , X long T shirt, Marks heavy duty zip polar fleece, Mark's below zero socks, Sorel winter boots (good to -74 said the advert), garbage mitts and sheepskin trappers/Mountie winter hat and Carhartt winter Arctic insulated jacket, in long size.

I could stay out in -30 all day in this outfit. Still have all this gear, if I fancy a stroll outside on frigid day.
02-26-2021, 04:39 PM - 6 Likes   #85887
Pentaxian

We are up to two feet of snow on the ground. We came home from 3 days in North Bay and got stuck going up the driveway. 1 hour later with the snow blower and scoops were were able to unload our groceries at the house. 31 cm fell while were gone, the total accumulation is 61 inches. Not a lot for a winter here, but, there hasn't been a melt, so everything that fell is still there.

We have a parking lot big enough for 5 cars, we shovel it with snow scoops. But there was so much snow this time we had to use the snow blower on parts where we usually drag the snow away.

Working on the parking lot.

The back of the wood shed. You can still see a layer for every snow fall this winter.

Measuring the edge.

Last edited by normhead; 02-27-2021 at 06:19 AM.
02-26-2021, 06:34 PM - 2 Likes   #85888
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
That's quite a collection of vintage iron...a little heavy on Fords for my tastes ...but I bet you wished you still had them today.
I really wish I still had the goat and the tr3a. An old friend still has the tr3a (we restored it together he bought me out)
02-26-2021, 08:10 PM - 2 Likes   #85889
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I really wish I still had the goat and the tr3a. An old friend still has the tr3a (we restored it together he bought me out)
When I was in grade 8 ( early 1960's) , in the 'Peg, one of the science teachers had a Triumph 3.

I recall me and my buddy were making the hike home from school, and the night before there had been a snow storm, so the streets had about a foot of snow. Anyway the teacher was stuck and he asked the two of us, to give him a push from a dead stop so he could get momentum to get the thing going.

We did, and I still recall the TR3 fishtailing out of the ruts in the snow. He had some kind of canvas convertible top...but that was the first time I had seen the nicely curved down doors close up. Thought they looked great. He used to rally it and belonged to the local sportscar club.

We considered him 'cool'.

It was sure different from my parent's black with a white stripe, '61 Chevy Nomad wagon (283 V8).
02-26-2021, 08:12 PM   #85890
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We are up to two feet of snow on the ground. We came home from 3 days in North Bay and got stuck going up the driveway. 1 hour later with the snow blower and scoops were were able to unload our groceries iat the house. 31 cm fell while were gone, the total accumulation is 61 inches. Not a lot for a winter here, but, there hasn't been a melt, so everything that fell is still there.

We have a parking lot big enough for 5 cars, we shovel it with snow scoops. But there was so much snow this time we had to use the snow blower on parts where we usually drag the snow away.

Working on the parking lot.

The back of the wood shed. You can still see a layer for every snow fall this winter.

Measuring the edge.

Nice clearing job. How's your shoulder holding up, after the operation. Does the snow shoveling hurt it ?