Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2021, 08:01 AM - 5 Likes   #86746
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Among other types of vehicles, the Canadian military also has some military spec Chevy Silverados. An army guy told me they are referred to commonly as Milverados.
Referred to as Milverados yep, though the 'proper' name is LUVW MILCOTS (Light Utility Vehicle Wheeled Military Commercial Off The Shelf)

03-29-2021, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #86747
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow ! That looks really good to me. Sure beats my lunches when I was working, which were usually peanut butter and jam sandwiches on rye, with a couple of oreo cookies and a can of coke to wash it all the way down.

Looking at that and remembering when I was single, the food, I used make for my meals...I think I would come in on my days off...back then,
For lunch there's a hot meal a day (and a veggie option), the soup of the day, a well stocked salad buffet, as well as bread and spreads. And usually some youghurt. And cake on Fridays - we're civilised, after all.

Price for visitors is about $12 a day (which isn't too bad, really), so yes, $40 a month is good.

And yes, if I happen to be nearby around lunchtime on a day off I will still stop by
03-29-2021, 08:35 AM - 2 Likes   #86748
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote

I sure am glad they can’t figure out a way to drill and fill from home. For sure if they did management would hit the Machinist’s union for wage cuts.
03-29-2021, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #86749
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Price for visitors is about $12 a day (which isn't too bad, really), so yes, $40 a month is good.
Math must not be your strength, eh?

Twelve bucks a day is way over forty bucks a month.

03-29-2021, 09:01 AM - 4 Likes   #86750
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Math must not be your strength, eh?

Twelve bucks a day is way over forty bucks a month.
Yes sir, that sort of was the point.
03-29-2021, 10:50 AM - 5 Likes   #86751
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Referred to as Milverados yep, though the 'proper' name is LUVW MILCOTS (Light Utility Vehicle Wheeled Military Commercial Off The Shelf)
Gotta luv military acronyms

But LUV COTS sounds seriously wrong.
03-29-2021, 10:59 AM - 2 Likes   #86752
Pentaxian

For lunch there's a hot meal a day (and a veggie option), the soup of the day, a well stocked salad buffet, as well as bread and spreads. And usually some youghurt. And cake on Fridays - we're civilised, after all.

And yes, if I happen to be nearby around lunchtime on a day off I will still stop by
You got things good in Norway !

03-29-2021, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #86753
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Bert,

I recall back in the '70's or '80's the Canadian Forces also used to have some Chevy square look pickups that were built to Cdn. military specs and were one and a quarter ton, 4WD pickup trucks that were very popular when the military disposed of them via govt. auction. Hunters/ outdoorsmen liked them for their extra HD specs.

Also you being a military guy, would probably have a view on those VW litis the Cdn. Forces had for awhile. To, me being a layman they didn't look too impressive or safe for soldier use, but I was impressed when they were replaced by the Mercedes G wagon, military spec 4WD.

Les

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...i1HbRDX6xtQagI
03-29-2021, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #86754
Pentaxian

Saw this article in a newspaper about a pedestrian bridge in China. Very high bridge, architecturally appealing....but no, nope, no no....I wouldn't want to walk across it. Think my vertigo would cut in.

China's 'bendy' glass bridge that's so extraordinary some didn't believe it was real* | Daily Mail Online
03-29-2021, 11:36 AM - 4 Likes   #86755
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

You got things good in Norway !
Apart from a few select things - "winter" being among them - I have little reason to complain.

Not that I'm reasonable. I'll complain anyway - as you all know
03-29-2021, 11:38 AM - 2 Likes   #86756
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Saw this article in a newspaper about a pedestrian bridge in China. Very high bridge, architecturally appealing....but no, nope, no no....I wouldn't want to walk across it. Think my vertigo would cut in.

China's 'bendy' glass bridge that's so extraordinary some didn't believe it was real* | Daily Mail Online
Cool! I'd like to walk that one

There looks to be a covered strip in the middle for those not liking the glass floor - no reason to dig in your heels!

03-29-2021, 12:41 PM   #86757
Pentaxian

Cool! I'd like to walk that one

There looks to be a covered strip in the middle for those not liking the glass floor - no reason to dig in your heels!

https://youtu.be/72OACa0jdyw
You're a braver man than I....
03-29-2021, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #86758
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like quite the interesting structure visually.

And based on my understanding of structures, quite strong too. As shapes go, the weakest is a box. A parallelogram is stronger, followed by a triangle, which is very strong. In all of these shapes, each has flat sides. The loads applied to each structure are carried along those sides to the corners. Using a bunch of squares to make a structure results in a very weak structure. Parallelograms are better, because the loads are carried to the corners, then redistributed to the next shape with less energy being lost to distortion of the shape as happens with a square or rectangular box. Still not as efficient as the triangle though, which can pick up and transmit loads very efficiently along the structure.

Look at bridges with triangular structures that support them.

But the strongest shape is a circle. The load is carried nearly infinetely around the arc.

Very strong.

And safe.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 03-29-2021 at 12:58 PM.
03-29-2021, 12:55 PM - 3 Likes   #86759
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Looks like quite the interesting structure visually.

And based on my understanding of structures, quite strong too. As shapes go, the weakest is a box. A parallelogram is stronger, followed by a triangle, which is very strong. In all of these shapes, each has flat sides. The loads applied to each structure are carried along those sides to the corners. Using a bunch of squares to make a structure results in a very weak structure. Parallelograms are better, because the loads are carried to the corners, then redistributed to the next shape with less energy being lost to distortion of the shape as happens with a square or rectangular box. Still not as efficient as the triangle though, which can pick up and transmit loads very efficiently along the structure.

Look at bridges with triangular structures that support them.

But the strongest shape is a circle. The load is carried nearly infinetely around the arc.

Very strong.
True. Which is why pizza ovens are domes!
03-29-2021, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #86760
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
True. Which is why pizza ovens are domes!
But do you have a structural engineer's report on your pizza oven, Mark? Building Control would have you in the UK without one sir, you'll have to pull it down and make good sir, we insist sir!