Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2021, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #86851
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

(Sorry, it's the shoe polish talking..)
I didn't know that alcohol was in some shoe polishes, until we had a class presentation, many decades ago.

Back in the 1960's we had an older man who came to our classroom (Gr.12) and spoke to us about the issues of alcoholism. He was a recovered alcoholic and told us that at one time he had been homeless, due to this condition and sometimes during times of desperation, he used to process shoe polish in order to get the alcohol from it and then drink it. It was an effective class visit for a number of us, as he didn't pull any punches about where it had led him in his life.

He mentioned a number of unconventional sources that he used to get alcohol during this time. He also was open to any questions, which he got a lot of from my classmates.

Amazing some of the things I recall from 50 + years ago, when I was in high school. But, nope I don't recall how to solve questions in higher math, anymore.

03-31-2021, 03:45 PM - 2 Likes   #86852
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Could have also hid it in his 'stache, along with a six pack.
I gotta grow me a stache. I can't sneak anything into the house.

My wife watches me like a hawk !
03-31-2021, 04:12 PM - 2 Likes   #86853
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
................. used to process shoe polish in order to get the alcohol from it and then drink it. It was an effective class visit for a number of us, as he didn't pull any punches about where it had led him in his life.

He mentioned a number of unconventional sources that he used to get alcohol during this time. He also was open to any questions, which he got a lot of from my classmates.
Aqua Velva aftershave filtered through a couple of slices of bread was a fairly common "make do".
03-31-2021, 04:42 PM - 3 Likes   #86854
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Aqua Velva aftershave filtered through a couple of slices of bread was a fairly common "make do".
How does that taste, Jim?

03-31-2021, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #86855
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yep, that was another thing he told us about straining after shave lotion and also shoe polish through bread. I had forgotten that.

He mentioned that there were a number of typical household products (this was back in the 1960's) that contained alcohol and if I recall correctly this was one method to filter it out.
03-31-2021, 06:19 PM - 2 Likes   #86856
Pentaxian

I don't think you'd like it, Bob #1.

I haven't tried it, but it never had any appeal to me. Now that you mention it, back in the '60's and before, people would sometimes used old glass, whisky bottles to store antifreeze or wood alcohol in, and store it in their cars, garages, etc. I don't know id f that same kind of thing was also done in the States.

Sometimes other people would break into a car or garage, see the whisky bottle, assume it was the real thing and take a glug or two, with terrible results. Fortunately I haven't heard about that kind of thing much in the past few decades.
03-31-2021, 06:39 PM - 4 Likes   #86857
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to think there were no poisonous spiders in Western Canada, but a caretaker at a place I worked for, was off work for about 50 days, due to a spider bite. Now I do hear occasionally about a South/Central American spider coming in a cargo of bananas , which somehow makes it to a super market and perhaps someone's home....or a pet spider that somehow gets out of it's tank and then gets around the neighbourhood...but these incidents are very rare.

The most unusual spider I've ever seen, was in our backyard, hanging from the roof of the shed. I took a pix of it, then let it go about it's business. It was gone the next morning. I was fine with it, as long as it didn't fiddle with the lock to the shed as my 2 motorcycle collection is in the shed.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...LbEW51LeMV_zFb
If it was an Australian spider, it would have bitten the shed in half if it felt like it.

03-31-2021, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #86858
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
He just needs to do what I do during boring online lectures - open social media (or the forums here) on a second monitor. And for all the people in Zoom know, you're still paying attention.
I used a tablet, on an easel, on the table in the kitchen. Had a window over my shoulder, used the chandelier over the kitchen table dimmed for a face fill, and the light over the kitchen island for a side fill.

All that they could see was my head.

My phone was too the left or right most of the time, although I didn't peruse it constantly, nor was I distracted from the vior dire process by it. It mostly occupied my brain during those mind numbing periods of viore dire when absolutely nothing is happening.
03-31-2021, 07:48 PM - 2 Likes   #86859
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Under the heading of seafood that I've never eaten, which includes a lot, partly because of where I live. I'm out here in the northern part of the Great Plains of North America, and were quite a distance from the ocean. Beef we have a lot of, also chicken and pork.

My question is.... what does jellied eel tastes like ?

Has anyone ever tried this dish out ?
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Never had jellied eel, but I have eaten freshwater and saltwater eel at sushi bars. Both are very tasty, and served cooked, but at room temperature or somewhat chilled.

It eats like rainbow trout, but without the bones.
The unagi (freshwater eel) I have had was served up like this. (I must correct myself, I have had it served after the meat was lightly toasted in a broiler immediately prior to it being paired with the rice, wrapped with a band of nori and served with a drizzle of thick teriyaki sauce and sprinkled with sesame seeds.

This is how unagi looks just before it is sliced and toasted for serving.

My favorite is hamachi. Not an eel, but a good sized fish. A very tasty fish. Some shots of different grades of hamachi.

From a fellow photographer:

His description that accompanies his picture describes it perfectly:

QuoteQuote:
Hamachi is the Japanese word for Japanese Amberjack. This fish is also commonly referred to as "Yellowtail".

This is always the first fish I order when eating in a sushi restaurant, especially if it's the first time I've eaten in that particular restaurant. If the Hamachi has a "fishy" taste, it's not fresh and is a good indication that every other raw fish you order will likewise not be fresh. In such cases, it's best to ask your waitperson for a hamburger and French fries.

Hamachi is also the first thing I order for people who have never before had sushi, as it has a nice buttery flavor and usually becomes their favorite, as well.

The word "nigiri" roughly means "two kinds", in that this type of sushi is made with two ingredients; a formed finger of rice with a slab of fish (sashimi) or other topping, such as crab (Kani), egg (Tamago) or eel (Unagi and Anago).

Sushi is typically served in pairs. Pictured here are two orders of Hamachi.

The garnish items are pickled ginger (Gari), which is used to cleanse your palette between sushi servings, and Japanese horseradish (Wasabi), which tastes nothing like regular horseradish, but does have a similar short-duration bite. Some say it's "hot". Habanero chili peppers are hot...Wasabi is not.
03-31-2021, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #86860
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If it was an Australian spider, it would have bitten the shed in half if it felt like it.
I've heard them Aussie spiders are tough customers. When our daughter was about 10 years old, I got her a little SAS pocket book, that told you how to survive in the wilderness, watch out for dangerous animals, etc. and if my memory serves me correct it does mention that Australia has most of the top ten of venomous snakes, and spiders in the world. I could be wrong and if I am I offer this pre-apology to Australians .

But my understanding is that they have some heavy duty dangerous animals there....and the odd thing is, New Zealand....has very little in the way of dangerous animals ...save for the odd sandfly or mosquito, etc. Sharks and jellyfish of course can be lethal.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...xI7D-AdDjms4fq

I just know what I read in wikipedia.
03-31-2021, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #86861
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The unagi (freshwater eel) I have had was served up like this. (I must correct myself, I have had it served after the meat was lightly toasted in a broiler immediately prior to it being paired with the rice, wrapped with a band of nori and served with a drizzle of thick teriyaki sauce and sprinkled with sesame seeds.

This is how unagi looks just before it is sliced and toasted for serving.

My favorite is hamachi. Not an eel, but a good sized fish. A very tasty fish. Some shots of different grades of hamachi.

From a fellow photographer:

His description that accompanies his picture describes it perfectly:
Looks good, that food.
03-31-2021, 08:48 PM - 2 Likes   #86862
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We Aussies are tough.
We have to be to survive in our environment.

What is amazing is that when the Pomms came here in 1788 enough of them survived long enough to form a number of colonies which eventually became a nation.
03-31-2021, 08:55 PM   #86863
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
We Aussies are tough.
We have to be to survive in our environment.

What is amazing is that when the Pomms came here in 1788 enough of them survived long enough to form a number of colonies which eventually became a nation.
Thats why they brought convicts with them.
03-31-2021, 10:55 PM   #86864
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just before I read this post...I was going to ask you...which juror best represents you...... in the movie Twelve Angry Men ? Now, I expect you'll say Henry Fonda....but what about Jack Warden or John Fiedler ?
Tsk tsk, you have that bass ackwards: Racer was inspiration for the film! His agent was rubbish though, not a cent in royalties...
04-01-2021, 03:43 AM - 3 Likes   #86865
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Mr Parallax sticks to quality stuff, Bob. He only drinks the finest Jamaica Ginger. Where did you think he got those Jake legs?