Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #87002
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That's easy.

The kiwi.
Geez....I knew that too. Why didn't I think of it ?
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #87003
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Edit: I am fibbing...what we catch is Walleye but everyone calls them Pickerel...so confusing. And up here, the Walleye are delicious
Confusing names here too. A sauger is a walleye relative and sometimes called Jack salmon.
I've also heard walleye called Jack salmon. Neither whiting, sauger, nor walleye are true Jack salmon.
Walleye & Sauger | MDC Hunting and Fishing
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #87004
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Hate to shatter old memories, but I'm sure that needs filing under folklore.
Way down the line I found this:
"Turtles with arrowheads and Civil War musket balls in their shells? I don’t believe it. I’ve heard those stories from many people. Think about it. How is someone going to catch a turtle that big in those days? That was before hoop nets. Shoot it? How would they have seen it? They are nocturnal animals. They don’t even move during the day. They might come up for air once or twice a day, but all you’re going to see is the tip of the snout. You’re not going to have anything to shoot at. I’ve heard of arrowheads in these things, musket balls in their shells, and I 'm sorry. Now that’s a great story and that authenticates the fact that these animals get really old, and we know that anyway. But I just don’t buy the fact that the Indians or the Civil War soldiers or whatever are gong to run into these things."
turtleman

Snappers aren't just nocturnal. I've seen plenty of them eating floating dead fish and other carrion, at the surface of the water, during the day. They do bask in the sun, as they, like all turtles, need the UV for their shells. They also have lungs, they could not survive being under water coming up, once or twice during 24 hours as he says. You can see snapping turtles walk on the floor of the body of water, if the water is clear enough.

I've caught a few snapping turtles in my time, always released them. You grab them by the tail and you have to be careful of course. I didn't use a gun, bow and arrow or hoop net and I was a young teenager. When catching a turtle...painted or common snapper, I would always approach them from the back. Turtles have limited vision and can only move their head in a limited arc...hard for them to see you, if you come up directly behind them. I'd grab the few snapping turtles by the tail, they have a relatively larger turtle than a painted turtle, which I would grab by the sides of the shell. You never approach a turtle from the front, that head can lunge out incredibly quickly and their beak and jaw strength, very strong for the size of the animal.

They (Snappers) come ashore , usually to bask on a regular basis, or to lay their eggs, which are laid and buried in the ground, usually sandy soil.

I'm sure many an experienced fisherman/ outdoorsman in northern Minnesota, Wisconsin, Manitoba , etc. who has spent a lot of time out on the water, would debate pretty well everything he has said in that article .

I do have to disagree .

Last edited by lesmore49; 5 Days Ago at 07:09 AM.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #87005
Pentaxian

Up here, many folk mistakenly go Walleye fishing but what they are really catching (if so lucky) are Pickerel. Not a rice cake they are. They are one of the most delicious fish on the planet IMHO.

Edit: I am fibbing...what we catch is Walleye but everyone calls them Pickerel...so confusing. And up here, the Walleye are delicious
When I was young, in northern Ontario and Manitoba we called walleye pickerel too. It wasn't till the '70's that we shifted to calling them walleye.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #87006
Pentaxian

Got this from Wikipedia:

"Common Snapping turtles have a life-history strategy characterized by high and variable mortality of embryos and hatchlings, delayed sexual maturity, extended adult longevity, and iteroparity (repeated reproductive events) with low reproductive success per reproductive event. Females, and presumably also males, in more northern populations mature later (at 15–20 years) and at a larger size than in more southern populations (about 12 years). Lifespan in the wild is poorly known, but long-term mark-recapture data from Algonquin Park in Ontario, Canada, suggest a maximum age over 100 years."
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #87007
Pentaxian

Bob #2, please go back and read my post at 86996 about the two different types of snappers.
Yes, common snapping turtles are, well, common. We hated seeing a twisted nylon line when we ran our limb lines on the river,
it usually meant a snapper had taken the bait meant for catfish. Rather than mess with them, we just cut the line.
5 Days Ago - 5 Likes   #87008
Pentaxian

They're pretty common crossing roads here too.
This one is from 2015 in Illinois.

5 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #87009
Pentaxian

Bob #2, please go back and read my post at 86996 about the two different types of snappers.
Yes, common snapping turtles are, well, common. We hated seeing a twisted nylon line when we ran our limb lines on the river,
it usually meant a snapper had taken the bait meant for catfish. Rather than mess with them, we just cut the line.
Bob#1, yes you're right, there are two types of snapping turtles in North America. The Common and the Alligator. The Alligator I understand is in the southern states where the Common is relatively widely distributed in NA.

My experience is with the Common, although I did see one Alligator Snapper in the Mall of America aquarium 'zoo' in Minneapolis about 20 odd years ago. It was huge and billed as over 200 pounds, don't know whether it was or not...but it was certainly XXXL. Well fed too, they had all sorts of plump fish swimming around in the large tank with it.
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #87010
Pentaxian

Great pix of a Common Snapping Turtle crossing the road.
5 Days Ago - 4 Likes   #87011
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Busy busy days starting last Friday. After building offices for my wife and I all winter, and doing finishing work in our master bedroom, I finally got back to the kitchen and completed the flooring out to the front door. Wow, it looks so much better!

And then there was my side by side. The bigger tires, although smoother and quieter, have robbed the snap that the throttle used to have so I ordering clutch tuning bits. To get at the CVT, much bodywork has to be removed as the engine sits mid chassis. It's fantastic for weight distribution but hell to work on. Luckily we had a beautiful weekend so I got the the primary and secondary clutches out, new weights in the primary and a new spring in the secondary. And then reassemble.

Next was a front axle I broke in the deep snow a couple weeks back. This was far easier. Axle nut off with the ugga ugga gun, wheel off, caliper off, disk assembly off, pop out the upper and lower ball joints, slide out the broken axle, in with the new and reverse.

Today will be an oil change if I can get to it.
5 Days Ago - 4 Likes   #87012
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A big one down by the river back in 2010 with the K3*2+1
Attached Images

5 Days Ago   #87013
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Axle nut off with the ugga ugga gun, wheel off, caliper off, disk assembly off, pop out the upper and lower ball joints, slide out the broken ......
Ugga ugga gun?

Is that French for impact gun?
5 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #87014
Pentaxian

Axle nut off with the ugga ugga gun,
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Ugga ugga gun?

Is that French for impact gun?

Just don't give one ugga ugga too many, or you'll snap something.
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #87015
Pentaxian

Crows are very smart too yet I find myself eating crow constantly
I like that!!

Ravens are really smart, photographers trying for images of ravens on the nest tried the usual trick of three people walk to the hide and two walk away to fool the birds that there’s nobody in there. The birds stayed away. They tried four go in and three walk out. No dice. They finally succeeded with eight in and seven out. Smart birds!