Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2021, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #87016
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I like that!!

Ravens are really smart, photographers trying for images of ravens on the nest tried the usual trick of three people walk to the hide and two walk away to fool the birds that there’s nobody in there. The birds stayed away. They tried four go in and three walk out. No dice. They finally succeeded with eight in and seven out. Smart birds!
So ravens can’t count past 7 then?

04-08-2021, 12:42 PM   #87017
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Busy busy days starting last Friday. After building offices for my wife and I all winter, and doing finishing work in our master bedroom, I finally got back to the kitchen and completed the flooring out to the front door. Wow, it looks so much better!

And then there was my side by side. The bigger tires, although smoother and quieter, have robbed the snap that the throttle used to have so I ordering clutch tuning bits. To get at the CVT, much bodywork has to be removed as the engine sits mid chassis. It's fantastic for weight distribution but hell to work on. Luckily we had a beautiful weekend so I got the the primary and secondary clutches out, new weights in the primary and a new spring in the secondary. And then reassemble.

Next was a front axle I broke in the deep snow a couple weeks back. This was far easier. Axle nut off with the ugga ugga gun, wheel off, caliper off, disk assembly off, pop out the upper and lower ball joints, slide out the broken axle, in with the new and reverse.

Today will be an oil change if I can get to it.
Do you like the CVT transmission ?

I've never had an ATV, but one of our neighbours does, an older, single cylinder Yamaha. He fits a snowplow on the front and does his driveway and also he would plow part of our street after a heavy snowfall, which was appreciated, although our burg is pretty good at getting the streets plowed. They use large front end loaders and graders and usually plow down to the concrete, as out here, if the snow is left, it packs hard and becomes a thick layer of ice, that won't go away till early spring.
04-08-2021, 02:20 PM - 2 Likes   #87018
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In 2012 I had a Can-Am with a CVT. Later I had a Chevy Spark with a CVT. I've been told that CVTs are not as strong as a traditional automatic tranny, I don't know if that's true or not, but both the ATV and the Chevy worked flawlessly. The thing that was really strange was to hear (and see on the tac) the RPMs decrease while accelerating.
04-08-2021, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #87019
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
In 2012 I had a Can-Am with a CVT. Later I had a Chevy Spark with a CVT. I've been told that CVTs are not as strong as a traditional automatic tranny, I don't know if that's true or not, but both the ATV and the Chevy worked flawlessly. The thing that was really strange was to hear (and see on the tac) the RPMs decrease while accelerating.
I have heard the same thing about CVT transmissions. Our daughter and her partner have two cars, a Nissan Rogue and a Nissan Kicks, both have CVT transmissions. So far, no issues (touch wood as I always do ) and the Rogue has plenty of miles on the odometer.

One thing I have noted about modern day vehicles, is that mechanically they seem quite sound, but what worries me, is the electronics. Now I haven't really encountered very much problem in the way of electronics, but although I can understand how an internal combustion engine and a manual transmission work....when it comes to anything with electrickery , I don't have a clue, it has always been a mystery to me.

04-08-2021, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #87020
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So ravens can’t count past 7 then?
No, they’re smart enough to not waste valuable effort on it!
04-08-2021, 03:08 PM - 3 Likes   #87021
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not buying the original K3, most likely getting the new K3 III because I can.
Meanwhile, finally got me a new steed. Slim pickings in the bicycle shops due to pandemic.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
04-08-2021, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #87022
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Not buying the original K3, most likely getting the new K3 III because I can.
Meanwhile, finally got me a new steed. Slim pickings in the bicycle shops due to pandemic.
After I got hurt I sold my bike shop to my brother in law. Good timing {for me). He could do many times the sales if he could get bikes or parts.

04-08-2021, 04:47 PM - 5 Likes   #87023
Veteran Member

Had my bi-annual dental appointment today, got to meet our new dentist.
She's former Navy and has been in private practice for several years.
I had read on her bio that one of her hobbies is nature photography, so I told her that is one of my hobbies too.
Then I said, "Let me guess, you shoot a Nikon." She said yes and asked me what I shoot, I said "Maybe you've heard of Pentax?"
She said yes, her mom uses one and had told her she should use one too.
There was a large print in the room, she said it was hers of the Yellowstone river. It was very good!

bacon bacon bacon
04-08-2021, 04:48 PM - 3 Likes   #87024
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Let Mark give you advice on lycra.
04-08-2021, 04:50 PM - 3 Likes   #87025
Veteran Member

What's all this photo-talk drivel? "Pentax" "Nikon" "K-3 III" (a couple posts up)

Don't think you can hide with just a couple repetitions of Bacon there Bob!
04-08-2021, 04:52 PM - 4 Likes   #87026
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Just don't give one ugga ugga too many, or you'll snap something.
Are we still talking about National Beaver Day?
04-08-2021, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #87027
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
After I got hurt I sold my bike shop to my brother in law. Good timing {for me). He could do many times the sales if he could get bikes or parts.
Indeed. Our local bike shops complain about the same thing. Huge shortage everywhere. Hard to get parts as well as whole bicycles.
04-08-2021, 06:00 PM - 3 Likes   #87028
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Let Mark give you advice on lycra.
That`s OK. I manage on my own.
04-09-2021, 01:55 AM - 4 Likes   #87029
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
although I can understand how an internal combustion engine and a manual transmission work....when it comes to anything with electrickery , I don't have a clue, it has always been a mystery to me.
And even if you did have the knowledge, I believe by now it's standard procedure for the software to just display a flipping bird (of the featherless variety) unless you're an authorized repair center.

The amount of stuff we actually own keeps decreasing -.-
04-09-2021, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #87030
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
And even if you did have the knowledge, I believe by now it's standard procedure for the software to just display a flipping bird (of the featherless variety) unless you're an authorized repair center.

The amount of stuff we actually own keeps decreasing -.-
Do you mean like the bird mark used by the Twitter that is used by Twits.