Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2021, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #87211
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
...and I must say, bikes can handle a load, too.

Actually, that is a trike, not a bike.

That one extra wheel makes all the difference.

04-14-2021, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #87212
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've never had a pickup truck, driven plenty of them though. We bought our vehicle last year, it's not a pickup, but it is a good sized SUV.

I checked our SUV's rated payload and it's not bad, in my humble opinion, it is rated at 1612 pounds, total payload, according to the GM towing/payload sticker, in the door frame.

But I realize it's not a pickup truck. I believe they have higher rated payloads...in terms of what the vehicle can carry, in terms of total weight.

I saw this picture , looked at the load the guy in his Ford F 150 is carrying, and thought to myself...my SUV cannot...definitely cannot carry a load like this...and I would say this pickup truck featured in the article, must have a humongous 'payload'....that I can only dream about.

I know there are some guys on this thread that have pickup trucks. I would ask them, if they routinely carry loads like this in their pickup beds ?
My 2001 Dodge Ram 3500is rated for 22,000lbs GCVW (gross combined vehicle weight), which if the total weight of the truck, trailer and load. The heaviest I have run is 21,500lbs, while loaded with the 8 foot camper, a full water tank, food, personal stuff, my 32 foot enclosed race trailer, the race car, two sets of extra tires and wheels, tools, a 50 gallon barrel of race fuel, etc.

I tried moving our 16 foot wide 75 foot trailer house with it before we built our house. The ball on my hitch was the same size as the tongue on the mobile, so after jacking the trailer up, installing the wheels that had been thoughtfully left under the thing, removing the blocks and setting it on the ground I backed the truck up and began letting the tongue of the house down. It settled down on the ball, and the back of the truck began to sink under the weight. I kept letting it down, the truck kept getting closer to the ground.

Lower.

And lower.

Still lower.

Eventually the rear bumper of the Dodge was on the ground, and my jacks were still not free.

So, I got the phone book (remember those?) out and found a mobile home mover who was hungry and looking to make a fast buck. He came right out with a proper mobile home moving truck (a modified semi tractor), hooked up, and moved the trailer for me. I wanted to build my house right where the trailer was sitting, so I needed to move it about 30 feet south from where it was.

He did it in about 30 minutes.

Cost me $200.

Then I jacked it back up, reset all the blocks, leveled it, set it down, reconnected the power, phone and water line from the well. moved the steps from the back door to the front door (the porch was dismantled and scrapped), and we began building our new home.
04-14-2021, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #87213
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Which Sync version? Sync 1 was a bit of a dog, Sync 2 was better and Sync 3 and 4 are great. Certainly, with Sync 3 and 4 getting it to communicate with your phone is super easy. You simply set it up once and then, whenever you get into the car with that phone the Sync system hooks up to it no problem. It will play Spotify etc real easily and you can even do updates over the air.

The only irritation I have found is that it will not allow you to put in a new route into the navigation system without the car standing still. A safety feature as they don't want you to type in an address while you're driving, but it also prevents your passenger from typing in an address while you're driving. Of course, you can do most everything with voice commands but I always forget that's possible.
I have no idea what version it is. I tried to look it up in the settings menu, and found a long string of numbers and letters, which didn't describe it as Sync 1, 2, 3, or 4.

I did have troubles with it reconnecting sometimes after a stop for fuel or to eat, when restarting the car. And if I forgot to plug my phone back inbefore starting the car, it refused to connect at all, so I had to shut the car off, plug my phone in, and then restart the car.

Also, I was using the navigation mapping on my phone at the same time I was playing music through the car (the Sync version on this car doesn't have navigation) and the battery wouldn't stay charged. We worked around that by using Mrs. Racer's phone for navigation, and my phone for music.
04-14-2021, 11:21 AM - 3 Likes   #87214
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed. I need to learn how to do the voice command thing. I'm not very good at that. (Either that, or the car is not very good at understanding me!)
Its that Saffer/Kiwi accent.

You gotta use either Saffer, or Kiwi, not both, eh?

04-14-2021, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #87215
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not a conventional auto. It's basically a manual with two dry clutches and it shifts itself. The reason there's no tranny dipstick is because there's no ATF and no torque converter. If serviced correctly, it's a pretty clever auto with near instant gear changes as it pre-selects for it's next change - that's why it has the two clutches. It also gives better fuel economy in an auto than the manual does, and that's pretty unusual. Having said that, Ford did struggle with that technology at first so there were a number of recalls relating to that gearbox.
I don't know if it is the 6 speed dual clutch abortion you mention here, or the real automatic abortion with a torque converter.

Either way, there should be some means to check the fluid or gear oil level, via a fill plug. I've looked and can't figure out how they fill it even.

And now it is 3,000 mile away, so the next time it fails, the kid is on his own. I even told him so. He has to grow up and take ownership of his car, the maintenance and care of it, all that stuff.

The time for holding his hand is over.

Oh, and while Mrs. Racer was driving through Missouri the other night I was sleeping. Suddenly a loud noise woke me from a deep sleep. I asked her what happened. She wasn't sure, it was raining heavily, dark, and not easy for her to see as she is getting cataracts. We stopped and had a look, didn't find anything amiss, and the car still drove OK.

When we arrived in Fayetteville, I noticed the right front tire had a bulge on the sidewall. So it would appear that she hit a chuckhole in the pavement, and the belts and cords were damaged. Now the kid needs a new tire.

Again, he is on his own now.
04-14-2021, 11:39 AM - 2 Likes   #87216
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
We arrived at Seattle around 1 pm local time, picked up a rental car
Considering where we live, and the length of time we've lived here, that sounds very strange to me.
In Pierre, if you need a ride home from the airport you call a friend when the plane lands and by the time you get through baggage claim (usually 10-15 minutes from the time the wheels are chocked) your ride has made it there even from the farthest edge of town.
04-14-2021, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #87217
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, that is a trike, not a bike.
That made me wonder, is there a similar shortening of quadricycle? Other than the rather illogical "quad bike"?

04-14-2021, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #87218
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Talking about logic; you shorten "pound" to "lb" because the Romans had a weight unit called libra, right? And you have another unit called "ounce" - because the Romans had one, too (a bit differently spelt in Latin, I believe). But an ounce is 1/16th of a pound, isn't it? Yet "ounce" quite literally means "a twelfth"
04-14-2021, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #87219
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Yup. You have to provide proof of a parking space which in Japan can sell for as much as a small apartment.

Interestingly, the Nissan 350Z (Z33) and 370Z (Z34) are also called a Nissan Fairlady in Japan. I don't know if they have a different engine size as well but I suspect not.

The next model, first called the Nissan Z Proto and now called the Nissan 400Z is due for release toward the end of 2022 as a 2023 model. It's very pretty:
Someone leaked pictures of one being shipped tot he US.

And a member of the Classic Z Car forum from Texas was invited by Nissan to bring his 240Z to be part of the first press event in the US.

04-14-2021, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #87220
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, had to look it up. "Ounce" is shortened oz because it's "onze" in Italian (but "uncia" in Latin).

Oh, and 1 troy pound is 12 troy ounces, so that, at least, makes sense.
04-14-2021, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #87221
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Considering where we live, and the length of time we've lived here, that sounds very strange to me.
In Pierre, if you need a ride home from the airport you call a friend when the plane lands and by the time you get through baggage claim (usually 10-15 minutes from the time the wheels are chocked) your ride has made it there even from the farthest edge of town.
We live about 65 miles from SeaTac.

All the kids have moved away, one to Hawaii, the other to Floriduh.

My mom is still playing snowbird in Arizona.

All my friends were at work.

So, rent a car for $60, or try and get an Uber or Lyft, or take a cab, for about double that.
04-14-2021, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #87222
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Talking about logic; you shorten "pound" to "lb" because the Romans had a weight unit called libra, right? And you have another unit called "ounce" - because the Romans had one, too (a bit differently spelt in Latin, I believe). But an ounce is 1/16th of a pound, isn't it? Yet "ounce" quite literally means "a twelfth"
Hey, I didn't invent the language, I only have to communicate with it.
04-14-2021, 01:13 PM - 2 Likes   #87223
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yet "ounce" quite literally means "a twelfth"
So, rent a car for $60, or try and get an Uber or Lyft, or take a cab, for about double that.
The economics make perfect sense.
04-14-2021, 01:18 PM - 2 Likes   #87224
Pentaxian

For my birthday my wife got me a couple of history books about the Roman Empire.

One is called 'Pax Romana' and the other 'Legions of Rome'.

Give me about a month or so to read them, then I'll be able to answer your questions...or correct you...as need be... about ancient Rome.
04-14-2021, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #87225
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, I didn't invent the language, I only have to communicate with it.
And there lies the problem: I have to, too