Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108794 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2021, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #87376
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I wonder if there is crocodile 'bacon' ? Probably not.....I'm thinking (again) .

When it comes to the top smells of food, I don't think there is anything quite as nice as the smell of bacon cooking over the campfire and coffee brewing...both in the great outdoors.

Turkey roasting is also in this bracket, but in the house. CharlieLac would probably add the smell of fresh bread and I would agree.

Odd thing is that in my last years of working, the building I worked out of was right next to a Wonder Bread factory bakery. In my 8 years working next door to this large factory bakery, I never once smelled the lovely aroma that I associate with baking bread . Don't know why, or maybe I do.....
Completely unrelated, but when I was a kid, ostridge biltong was much cheaper than beef or other game biltong. And then there was the whole bird flu epidemic which hit ostridge farms particularly hard. I don't think it's a thing anymore.

04-18-2021, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #87377
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Completely unrelated, but when I was a kid, ostridge biltong was much cheaper than beef or other game biltong. And then there was the whole bird flu epidemic which hit ostridge farms particularly hard. I don't think it's a thing anymore.
I sort of recall Ostrich farms out here, there may still be some, but I haven't heard of any lately. I did find one Emu farm though.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...XlAc8LP7j0ibvE
04-18-2021, 02:46 PM - 6 Likes   #87378
Pentaxian

I suspect our idea of "cold" and your idea of "cold" are two different things!
I suspect our idea of cold in Winterpeg and your (NZ) idea of cold and Bob#1's idea of cold (Missouri) are three different things.
04-18-2021, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #87379
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I all but gave up on more advanced photography when Kodak pulled the plug on Ektachrome. My Super Program kit sat in a box in the closet. I bought a couple Olympus P&S for snapshots. My spouse wanted me to do better and purchased a new K-r for me. Terrible, terrible mistake. It whet my apatite for the glory of my Super Program. I had multiple lenses for the Super Program. LBA set in. I sold most of my Super Program kit (retaining a couple favorite KA's and flash units). The K-r's controls still felt restrictive. My wife was aghast when I sold the still almost new K-r for a used K-30 and the 18-135 from a desperate college student who needed cash. Happier, not happy. I drooled over the K-5II, no more money. And along came an opportunity to pick up a relatively young K-3 from a wedding photographer drooling over the K-1. I sold the K-30 to a cousin who was happy for the upgrade to her K-x. LBA continued, but as I had my primary DA lenses, I looked for good buys on decent F & FA lenses. I just jumped for a well-used K-1 ... well-used meaning only 2/3rds of its life left. I have some plans for that body, but like Mr. Norm, there are many situations where the K-3 will be a better choice - - especially if I have to travel light yet need an off-camera flash. The K-3's popup flash as a P-TTL wireless controller has just been way too valuable. There doesn't seem to be any truly small flash available for the K-3II/III or K-1/II to fill exactly that function. DO YOU HEAR ME flash manufacturers?

By the way, after the re-introduction of Ektachrome, I have rebuilt my Super Program kit. Now that I have the K-1, I can easily make 1:1 digital copies of my best stuff using my Pentax K bellows, 50 macro and slide copy attachment.
I was strictly film from '68 to 2007, wasn't impressed with my earlier experiences with digital.

It took me quite awhile to transfer my affections from film to digital. First digital I used was in the late '90's. I didn't like it...the focus lag was abysmal. Around 2005 my wife bought me a Panasonic Lumix, can't recall the model. Focus lag not much improved and the image quality not great in my opinion. But I did like how I could see the image quickly. I really liked that feature.

In 2007, I bought my first DSLR digital, a K10D. Focus lag not an issue, image quality great. A wonderful camera and with this camera I was sold on digital SLR.

04-18-2021, 02:57 PM   #87380
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Nice recovery after all the photo gear talk.

Yes, but it's a bit chewy.
Yep, I find myself sliding back to my old ways, every so often talking about photography. Bob#1, I admit it's a struggle.

That belt does look a bit chewy, I wonder if they have something in a jerky ?
04-18-2021, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #87381

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdude Quote
I have been waiting for the announcement of the k3 for some time.Now that the camera is out and seeing the pics and seeing "ricoh on the back of the screen turns me off.Only a matter of time before we see Ricoh on the front of the camera.I think ricoh just shot themselves in the foot.My reasoning behind this is I make a living in photography.I shoot lots of weddings and It seems more people ask on what camera I'am using.I have had quite a few people turn me down because I shoot with pentax.They just know canon and nikon.I l was turned down on other major sporting events because I shoot with Pentax.This all happened a few years back and I will admit that some people are starting to recognize that pentax can keep up with the big guys.If Ricoh puts their name in front of the camera I feel it will throw them back to the dark ages..I'am quite happy with my k5s and all my pentax glass and will continue to shoot pentax,but hesitating to by new equiptment because of this matter.I do also own nikon and canon slr's but I'am a pentaxian and as long as it says Pentax on the front of the camera I'am happy.

Mod disclaimer: this thread has turned into a humorous discussion and it no longer reflects facts about the Pentax K-3 DSLR. Enter and post at your own risk, and have fun!
I have the K1ii, it's pretty hard to beat, as with all Pentax DSLR's there something that feels right with on in the palm of your hand.
04-18-2021, 03:04 PM - 2 Likes   #87382
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DRAGONART Quote
I have the K1ii, it's pretty hard to beat, as with all Pentax DSLR's there something that feels right with on in the palm of your hand.
Well, I guess that means you won't be buying a K-3...? Then you're welcome here

04-18-2021, 03:16 PM - 3 Likes   #87383
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if there is crocodile 'bacon' ? Probably not.....I'm thinking (again) .

When it comes to the top smells of food, I don't think there is anything quite as nice as the smell of bacon cooking over the campfire and coffee brewing...both in the great outdoors.

Turkey roasting is also in this bracket, but in the house. CharlieLac would probably add the smell of fresh bread and I would agree.

Odd thing is that in my last years of working, the building I worked out of was right next to a Wonder Bread factory bakery. In my 8 years working next door to this large factory bakery, I never once smelled the lovely aroma that I associate with baking bread . Don't know why, or maybe I do.....
We have a large bread factory on the edge of our town. It always smells of baking bread. Lovely smell. So nice that I have considered a career change!
04-18-2021, 03:21 PM - 3 Likes   #87384
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
We have a large bread factory on the edge of our town. It always smells of baking bread. Lovely smell. So nice that I have considered a career change!
Keep with the romance Mark
The reality is so different ...

I worked in one for 25 yrs
04-18-2021, 03:25 PM - 3 Likes   #87385
Pentaxian

Before you change careers, have you checked into how much a bread smeller can make ?

Or did I get it wrong ?
04-18-2021, 03:45 PM - 5 Likes   #87386
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Before you change careers, have you checked into how much a bread smeller can make ?
I'm sure he did, he's a fart smeller, I mean smart feller.

Last edited by robtcorl; 04-18-2021 at 03:54 PM.
04-18-2021, 05:13 PM - 2 Likes   #87387
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by DRAGONART Quote
Terry!

Welcome back from your slumber. Always a treat when people stop by.

I have the K-1, couldn't be happier. And like you, I find it just feels right.

By the way, have you had your daily rasher of bacon?
04-18-2021, 05:16 PM - 4 Likes   #87388
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'm sure he did, he's a fart smeller, I mean smart feller.
And then we have this bloke, who was not a smart feller.

04-18-2021, 05:19 PM - 3 Likes   #87389
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect our idea of cold in Winterpeg and your (NZ) idea of cold and Bob#1's idea of cold (Missouri) are three different things.
Actually, I suspect my (South African bones) idea of cold is different from NZ's idea of cold, Bob1's idea of cold and your idea of cold!
04-18-2021, 05:22 PM   #87390
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Keep with the romance Mark
The reality is so different ...

I worked in one for 25 yrs
Dang. I suspected that may be the case. (Not you working in one, but the idea of reality vs romance.)
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »