Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2021, 12:46 PM - 3 Likes   #87511
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Fun fun. The university has got a sky diving club, maybe I should jump in and join them.
Some tips if things don't go quite according to plan:

And always remember: If at first you fail, skydiving might not be for you.

04-21-2021, 12:50 PM - 2 Likes   #87512
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Another motivational video

04-21-2021, 04:07 PM - 2 Likes   #87513
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Our son did that. Parachute jump.

He wanted a sky diving experience for his 20th birthday, so we got it for him. The entire hour or so, that it involved and friends, relatives and mom and dad were there. My heart was in my throat the whole time and and I was very happy when he landed safely on terra firma.

As a parent I don't want to go through that again....even though.... I know the odds were in his favour to have a safe experience.
A tandem jump? They're good fun and you don't have to learn how to do it. Also, because the canopy is enormous, you get quite a bit if flying time which is nice.
04-21-2021, 04:31 PM - 3 Likes   #87514
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fun fun. The university has got a sky diving club, maybe I should jump in and join them.
It's a lot of fun. When Annie and I were younger we joined a skydiving club. As we already had Annabelle we always made the rule to not go up in the same jump plane. There are a few different freefall courses and I think they do it differently these days to how we learnt, but the basic rules are the same: You need to get yourself in a nice, steady arched back face down position before deploying your shute. Once you've deployed, you need to check to see if you've had a good deployment. If good, then, enjoy the ride down picking where to land. If not good, then you need to decide whether the situation is salvageable, i.e. can you correct the deployment (partial deployment or twisted lines) and you have (for obvious reasons) a very limited time to make those decisions and make those interventions. If you can't correct your problem quickly then you need to abandon that canopy and deploy your second (reserve) canopy. Most deaths occur because people spend too much time trying to fix their problem rather than accepting the inevitable, dumping the main shute and pulling the reserve.

As for things you can do to survive a fall without a parachute: That's bull. Unless you're record books lucky and happen to be over a nice steep soft snow mountain with no trees or rocks or some such or you happen to be over some lovely soft trees with leaves and, miraculously, no branches, you're toast if your reserve does not deploy well. There's no point trying to survive with no shute because you'll spend the rest of your sexless miserable life communicating with blinksof your eyes, assuming you can blink and drinking from a straw and pooping in a bag so you may as well pick someone on the ground that you really dislike and try to land on them and kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

04-21-2021, 05:23 PM - 2 Likes   #87515
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I was watching some sort of documentary some time back and it was mentioned that goat is the most efficient meat protein animal. i.e the meat:feed ratio is the highest.

:suspicious1:
It certainly is not much work keeping goats for meat, milking isn't much of a hassle either. Slaughtering and butchering is probably one of the more tedious tasks...
04-21-2021, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #87516
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It's a lot of fun. When Annie and I were younger we joined a skydiving club. As we already had Annabelle we always made the rule to not go up in the same jump plane. There are a few different freefall courses and I think they do it differently these days to how we learnt, but the basic rules are the same: You need to get yourself in a nice, steady arched back face down position before deploying your shute. Once you've deployed, you need to check to see if you've had a good deployment. If good, then, enjoy the ride down picking where to land. If not good, then you need to decide whether the situation is salvageable, i.e. can you correct the deployment (partial deployment or twisted lines) and you have (for obvious reasons) a very limited time to make those decisions and make those interventions. If you can't correct your problem quickly then you need to abandon that canopy and deploy your second (reserve) canopy. Most deaths occur because people spend too much time trying to fix their problem rather than accepting the inevitable, dumping the main shute and pulling the reserve.

As for things you can do to survive a fall without a parachute: That's bull. Unless you're record books lucky and happen to be over a nice steep soft snow mountain with no trees or rocks or some such or you happen to be over some lovely soft trees with leaves and, miraculously, no branches, you're toast if your reserve does not deploy well. There's no point trying to survive with no shute because you'll spend the rest of your sexless miserable life communicating with blinksof your eyes, assuming you can blink and drinking from a straw and pooping in a bag so you may as well pick someone on the ground that you really dislike and try to land on them and kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.
Interesting interesting, good summation of the sport, especially the outcome of surviving a chuteless landing
04-21-2021, 05:29 PM - 5 Likes   #87517
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I think that first you need to do a little research on how skydiving works. You're supposed to jump out, not in.
It's a new sport, reverse skydiving.

You start on the ground and jump into a flying plane:

04-21-2021, 06:25 PM - 2 Likes   #87518
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
A tandem jump? They're good fun and you don't have to learn how to do it. Also, because the canopy is enormous, you get quite a bit if flying time which is nice.
Nope, I have no intention of ever jumping out of a plane. Odd in a way, as I rode motorcycles for many years, and always loved a fast run on winding roads, on British/Japanese sports motorcycles.

He jumped tandem first time, then went on his own. It was in the summer and he was over a large, untilled, black farm field and the heat emanating from the black soil...managed to keep on getting him to float upward a few times. He enjoyed it and he does have a sense of adventure. Hid great grandfather (mother's side) was an early Canadian bush pilot...over a lot of...at the time.....unexplored territory. He had a very exciting life, started flying in the 1920's. I read his early flying logs and I can tell you, there was a lot of stuff in there that would make great movie scenes....Come to think of it, in his early flying they didn't have parachutes...they had to ride the plane to the end and hope for the best.

Both my wife and I think that he inherited his great grandfather's sense of adventure.
04-21-2021, 06:52 PM - 3 Likes   #87519
Veteran Member

He jumped tandem first time, then went on his own. It was in the summer and he was over a large, untilled, black farm field and the heat emanating from the black soil...managed to keep on getting him to float upward a few times. He enjoyed it and he does have a sense of adventure. Hid great grandfather (mother's side) was an early Canadian bush pilot...over a lot of...at the time.....unexplored territory. He had a very exciting life, started flying in the 1920's. I read his early flying logs and I can tell you, there was a lot of stuff in there that would make great movie scenes....Come to think of it, in his early flying they didn't have parachutes...they had to ride the plane to the end and hope for the best.
I remember reading somewhere that though parachutes existed back then, World War 1 pilots were not issued them as it was feared they'd abandon the planes as soon as danger hit, rather than trying to save the planes. Maybe slightly true, maybe complete BS, who knows...
04-21-2021, 06:57 PM - 4 Likes   #87520
Veteran Member

In fact, that makes me think of a joke...

A pilot, a schoolboy and <insert the name of your most disliked politician here> were flying in a small plane when the plane caught fire and they had to jump out to survive. Problem was, there were only two parachutes!

<Insert the name of your most disliked politician here> said "I don't know about you lot, but I'm a survivor". They promptly strapped a bag on their back and jumped out.

The pilot then sighed, and told the schoolboy to take the other bag, as the pilot had at least lived some life whereas the boy had his all ahead of him.

The schoolboy then piped up "No no, it's okay Mr Pilot, we can both go, <insert the name of your most disliked politician here> grabbed my schoolbag!"
04-21-2021, 10:17 PM - 2 Likes   #87521
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In fact, that makes me think of a joke...

A pilot, a schoolboy and <insert the name of your most disliked politician here> were flying in a small plane when the plane caught fire and they had to jump out to survive. Problem was, there were only two parachutes!

<Insert the name of your most disliked politician here> said "I don't know about you lot, but I'm a survivor". They promptly strapped a bag on their back and jumped out.

The pilot then sighed, and told the schoolboy to take the other bag, as the pilot had at least lived some life whereas the boy had his all ahead of him.

The schoolboy then piped up "No no, it's okay Mr Pilot, we can both go, <insert the name of your most disliked politician here> grabbed my schoolbag!"
Lovely. That reminded me of the tale of the two priests who took two school boys fishing on a lake when the boat starts to take on water and they discover there are only two lifejackets.
On second thought, I won't tell that here.
04-21-2021, 10:18 PM   #87522
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a new sport, reverse skydiving.

You start on the ground and jump into a flying plane:

2 Wingsuit Flyers BASE Jump Into a Plane In Mid-Air | A Door In The Sky - YouTube
Love it! Reverse skydiving! Brilliant!
04-21-2021, 10:19 PM - 3 Likes   #87523
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nope, I have no intention of ever jumping out of a plane. Odd in a way, as I rode motorcycles for many years, and always loved a fast run on winding roads, on British/Japanese sports motorcycles.

Both my wife and I think that he inherited his great grandfather's sense of adventure.
Ah, don't knock it till you've tried it Les! It's good fun. I can recommend it. I might add that I'm a little heavy for that sport now.
04-21-2021, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #87524
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I love the ground.
It is solid, reliable.
I don't mind skydiving, parachuting, base jumping, etc. - as long as someone else is doing it.
04-21-2021, 10:31 PM - 2 Likes   #87525
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ah Bertie that jokes as old as ... well ... we won't mention names