Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108794 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2021, 01:20 PM - 7 Likes   #88096
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I had my shoulder replacement back in October, 2020. If you don't mind me asking, did you have a knee joint replacement ?

I took Hydromorphone and extra strength Tylenol for a couple weeks. Then just extra strength Tylenol for a month or so, but mostly just before I went to bed at night. Pain wasn't as bad as I expected, but still painful of course and things are always different for different people, depending on the operation, etc.

I don't like taking unnecessary pills, like the 'whoopie' pills as prescribed to you, but for the shoulder I did. Best wishes for a fast recovery.

Les
No, a replacement comes next. This operation was to remove the plate and screws used to put everything back together from the accident 4 years ago. That will need to heal for about 6 weeks before the replacement.
The incision for the initial repair, and thus to remove the hardware, was lateral. The incision to replace the joint needs to be anterior. The surgeon wouldn't do both in one operation for fear the narrow strip of tissue between the incisions wouldn't have sufficient blood flow to survive.

On a side note, on narcotic pain pill bottles there's a warning that says you're not supposed to drink alcohol while taking them.
I've always wondered why they say that because they work REALLY well together.

(just kidding)

Last edited by Parallax; 05-07-2021 at 01:27 PM.
05-07-2021, 02:31 PM - 2 Likes   #88097
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Today Racer begins a new chapter at The Big Shed.

No more tankers and freighters. No more wings.

The powers that be have decided .....

....Lunacy.
Managers have to justify their existence, y'know!
05-07-2021, 02:56 PM - 2 Likes   #88098
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Managers have to justify their existence, y'know!
"From experience", there are possibly "several" explanations" for this "approach, e.g.:
- "We need to get younger people suitably upskilled and experienced to take on the roles of those about to retire"
- "Younger staff are cheaper than old guys with experience!"
- "Maybe this will encourage the old guys to retire early and save the company money!"
- "Don't give a flying f*** about people with relevant experience &/or about to retire - I just need to justify my existence here by doing something that will impress my managers"

...and then, I'm sure, there are quite a few more suggestions that people can mention!

Last edited by jeallen01; 05-07-2021 at 03:02 PM.
05-07-2021, 03:18 PM   #88099
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No, a replacement comes next. This operation was to remove the plate and screws used to put everything back together from the accident 4 years ago. That will need to heal for about 6 weeks before the replacement.
The incision for the initial repair, and thus to remove the hardware, was lateral. The incision to replace the joint needs to be anterior. The surgeon wouldn't do both in one operation for fear the narrow strip of tissue between the incisions wouldn't have sufficient blood flow to survive.

On a side note, on narcotic pain pill bottles there's a warning that says you're not supposed to drink alcohol while taking them.

(just kidding)

However, when it comes to operations, I'm the kind of guy, who would rather just have the operation without the details. That's my 'squeamish' talking.

But then, my wife is the type of gal who wants the details, as she likes to understand the procedure beforehand.

After my shoulder replacement, I spent the night in the hospital. I shared a room with a fellow, who had a knee replacement and I was surprised how quickly he seemed to recover. I'm a lay person, with no medical training, and I'm astounded what the medical community can do, in fixing up the human body.

05-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #88100
Pentaxian

Today Racer begins a new chapter at The Big Shed.

No more tankers and freighters. No more wings.

The powers that be have decided that an experienced and skilled airframe structures machinist would be better utilized in kitting, cutting foam to shadow tools for the dumbest idea ever.

They are taking toolboxes off the factory floor and replacing them with soft packs for each and every IP (installation plan).

Each bar line has from 2 to 6 IPs each day and had a toolbox outfitted with all the tools needed, so the mechanic never had to leave the airplane.

There are thousands of bar lines for each airplane program.

With the new system, each time a mechanic signs into an IP, he or she wil then need to go to a tool room and check the tool kit for that job. When finished, the toolkit is returned. Then the mechanic signs into another IP, goes back to the tool room and checks out another toolkit.

Oh, and should there be a need for rework, well, there isn’t a toolkit for that. Nope. Then the mechanic needs to determine what tools will be required, go to a different tool room, and check out the needed tools, perform the rework, then return the tools.

Lunacy.

3 months.

3 weeks.
Seems odd. Was there a concern about tool loss ? This new procedure seems to add a lot of time and expense (for example- skilled people not working directly at their task as much , but spending time returning/getting tools) to the process.
05-07-2021, 03:37 PM   #88101
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
They gave you a steroid to make you ineligible for the olympics, to reduce the competition.
Different steroid.
05-07-2021, 03:48 PM - 2 Likes   #88102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote

(just kidding)
Actually they DO work well together. Following a knee replacement my wife was issued a codeine-based pain med. The doc told her that if the recommended dose just wasn't doing the job, to drink a small amount of wine. It would likely put her to sleep, but more important, a little bit of wine was safer than compressing the medication schedule.

I've heard some docs are using a new wonder drug for knee replacement. It is a nerve block that lasts several weeks. As I understand it, the procedure (injection) is done several days before surgery. While the the block is still effective, physical therapy can be and is on the aggressive side, so when the block starts wearing off, a lot of the range of motion has already been recovered and the duration of physical therapy reduced.

You may or may not be a good candidate, but it might be worth asking your doctor?

05-07-2021, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #88103
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Seems odd. Was there a concern about tool loss ? This new procedure seems to add a lot of time and expense (for example- skilled people not working directly at their task as much , but spending time returning/getting tools) to the process.
It is all about tool control. Many mechanics fail to take ownership of the box of tools the company provides, and through carelessness tools get “lost” on the airplane. Anything that isn’t on the drawing is considered FOD (foreign object debris). Customers aren’t paying three hundred million bucks for FOD. FOD also causes damage, like the screwdriver bit that was left in the jet engine inlet cowling, that was ingested on the first engine startup. Destroyed a brand new ten million dollar engine.

So they think this is going to force accountability.

It won’t.

I have worked in areas where this is already implemented. No one checks the kits when they are returned, so tools still get lost. Also, worn out or broken tools aren’t getting exchanged.

Then there is the increased non productive time away from the airplane.

3 months.

3 weeks.
05-07-2021, 04:24 PM - 3 Likes   #88104
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It is all about tool control. Many mechanics fail to take ownership of the box of tools the company provides, and through carelessness tools get “lost” on the airplane. Anything that isn’t on the drawing is considered FOD (foreign object debris). Customers aren’t paying three hundred million bucks for FOD. FOD also causes damage, like the screwdriver bit that was left in the jet engine inlet cowling, that was ingested on the first engine startup. Destroyed a brand new ten million dollar engine.

It won’t.

I have worked in areas where this is already implemented. No one checks the kits when they are returned, so tools still get lost. Also, worn out or broken tools aren’t getting exchanged.

Then there is the increased non productive time away from the airplane.

3 months.

3 weeks.
Hi Racer
Would it be fair to assume the said manager has never had to work with tools ( not the people ones ) or on the ' floor '.

Dave
05-07-2021, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #88105
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Friday! Woop woop! and we finally have a driveway. Another week before we'll park on it, but getting there!
Where's your shrinkage cuts? Don't forget to water your new driveway.
05-07-2021, 06:28 PM - 3 Likes   #88106
Pentaxian

It won’t.

3 months.

3 weeks.
FOD (foreign object debris :......the old empty coke bottle placed by the disgruntled assembly line worker, at the car plant, behind the passenger door panel in the 1950's new car. Once it left the factory, and sold to the customer by the dealer, it drove the customer nuts...trying to figure out where that rattle was coming from.
05-07-2021, 07:16 PM - 5 Likes   #88107
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FOD (foreign object debris :......the old empty coke bottle placed by the disgruntled assembly line worker, at the car plant, behind the passenger door panel in the 1950's new car. Once it left the factory, and sold to the customer by the dealer, it drove the customer nuts...trying to figure out where that rattle was coming from.
My F100 had a door rattle like that. When I removed the inside trim panel and plastic dust sheet, inside the door I found a perfect panelbeaters rubber mallet. In another car, behind the dash, I found a very nice electric continuity tester tool.
05-07-2021, 08:20 PM - 3 Likes   #88108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
My F100 had a door rattle like that. When I removed the inside trim panel and plastic dust sheet, inside the door I found a perfect panelbeaters rubber mallet. In another car, behind the dash, I found a very nice electric continuity tester tool.
Sometimes you never know what you're going to find behind old panels, walls, etc.

I worked at a building that had been built in 1959. In the late '90's some work went into the building, including tearing down some walls, that had suffered water damage. Back in '59 there was not much in the way of insulation but there were some items of interest that had been secreted behind those walls that had nothing to do with insulation.

There were a couple of old newspapers, a playboy magazine all from 1959. Also a couple of empty coke bottles.

Now the printed material wasn't probably of much value, but I'm sure the old coke bottles may have had some dollar value...for as you know, there are people out there...who are always interested in collecting old coke bottles.
05-07-2021, 08:51 PM - 2 Likes   #88109
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Racer
Would it be fair to assume the said manager has never had to work with tools ( not the people ones ) or on the ' floor '.

Dave
Yes it would Dave.

After the merger with McDonnell Douglas management changed dramatically. It used to be managers came from the craft positions, and managed well.

Now they are hired off the street, often right out of university. Some do OK, as they have some degree of mechanical aptitude, but most have no clue, and many of those don't have any people skills, lacking the ability to motivate their subordinates.
05-08-2021, 12:34 AM - 2 Likes   #88110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Things left behind reminds me of the big house being renovated and divided into apartments. The workers were removing a huge fireplace in the entrance hall and having dismantled the mantelpiece, started on the interior. To their surprise the firebricks collapsed revealing a large recess - and a human skeleton. Work stopped immediately as the police were called, who shut down the site and called forensics to investigate. Management groaned, anticipating a long delay to the project, but to their surprise the investigators took just ten minutes to identify the remains, bag and remove them and give the job the all clear. The key find was the medallion still hanging from the skeleton’s neck - “World Hide and Seek Champion 1953”
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »