Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2021, 09:03 AM - 2 Likes   #88756
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
So in order to light up the road, you had to czech that the engine was hitting the high rpm range
It was fairly easy to czech ...usually with my hearing, as it had no tacho...as it was a noisy little job.

Also with a 3 speed manual transmission, 50cc (3 cubic inches), and only a top speed of 41 mph (65.9 kph) ......I pretty well had to wring the Jawa's little neck to stay with faster city traffic and therefore the headlamp was mostly at full bright.

But it was a very durable, small displacement motor scooter. I had two other Czechoslovakian vehicles...CZ motorcycles, back in the '60's. They were , like the Jawa, tough, durable, competent . They had 125cc engines and I didn't have to wring their somewhat larger displacement 'necks' to keep up with traffic.

05-19-2021, 09:06 AM - 4 Likes   #88757
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
You have described NA well.

Where I live in North America ..... the endless prairie.... and it really does seems endless. when we drive south or west.

But because I'm on the edge of the Northern plains, I'm also just east....90 miles away from the dense forests, granite and lakes of the Canadian Shield....the Boreal Hardwood Transition ..... and north about three hours away is another dense forest...the Boreal Softwood Shield....and about two hours west, is good sized desert. And about 90 minutes north.,,,, the world's 10th largest lake is about 90 miles away .

I'm very lucky to live in an area.... so near to all these transition areas . There is such a variety of wildlife, landscapes, flora and all relatively accessible and not too far away.

I do appreciate my fortune.
You know, in most of Europe 90 miles is quite a distance
05-19-2021, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #88758
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Not really relevant, but speaking of Africa and the Americas, I quite like Heyerdahl's theories. Even if they have mostly been disproved and argued against, I at least like his expeditions and his writings of them.
Thor was a good writer and story teller, and some of his expeditions were epic. And really, travelling across the ocean for three months on a balsa wood raft, and then crossing the Atlantic on a reed boat - twice - and the man couldn't swim

But yeah, his theories are mostly nonsense - but refreshing and entertainng.
05-19-2021, 09:52 AM - 3 Likes   #88759
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I have some relatives in Scotland and a few years ago, I was emailing them about our visits to our daughter and her family, who live in Alberta. We live in Manitoba. Both Alberta and Manitoba are part of the three prairie provinces and I was writing about our trip to Alberta, which in non covid times we do about 3-4 times a year. The trip is about 700 miles (1100 + kms) and we usually do it in about a day (11-12 hours) of driving. We use the Trans Canada highway which in the west (prairies) is relatively lightly traveled, mostly rural area, very little urban and we usually travel a bit over the 110 kph (68 mph) speed limit. BT, it is a great trip.*

My Scottish cousin was amazed at the distance we travel in a day, but then corrected himself and said, I keep forgetting how vast Canada is and the travel distances are comparatively enormous. He said he visits his kids (adults) in England and he regards that as a long trip, which is about two hours away.

* Made me think of what the travel would be like back in the 1850's...before the railway (in western Canada) , before the automobile, planes, etc.. Before settled by farmers/ranchers.

It would be travois, drawn by horses, sometimes dogs, canoes in the waterways, York boats (Big Hudson Bay Co, cargo boats), walking, horse back riding, carriages/wagons, Red River Carts, stage coaches, etc. over at best unimproved roads, more commonly over no roads, just long grass/ bald prairie.

Huge changes.

The Red River carts were used out here, because of prairie gumbo, thick, heavy mud (usually after heavy rains/Spring) and the had huge wheels in order to traverse the territories.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...DQ-CsJDQ1RHNj3

I know you have an interest in the horse and wheel. I mention the Red River cart as a regionally developed mode of cargo/people carrying which suits certain conditions of a particularly geographical area. It was used to transport almost everything, including Buffalo meat, hides.

05-19-2021, 09:53 AM - 4 Likes   #88760
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm sure.

05-19-2021, 09:56 AM - 2 Likes   #88761
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'm sure.
Great map. Never seen this before. It is a keeper. A keeper for a digresser.
05-19-2021, 09:58 AM - 4 Likes   #88762
Veteran Member

A keeper for a digresser.
Just don't become a crossdresser like Bert and his skirt.

05-19-2021, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #88763
Pentaxian

Just don't become a crossdresser like Bert and his skirt.
No worry about that. My wardrobe since I've retired, is much like Jay Leno's. He has a closet full of denim shirts and jeans and that is it...says he.

While I have a denim shirt or two, my clothes closet is full of Levi jeans, Mr. B+T, T-shirts and the same make, golf shirts. Also because I'm a dyed in the wool Canuck, I do have a plaid winter shirt or two.

I'm not even sure I would fit my old work clothes anymore. Maybe I need to get in some more exercise to do that.
05-19-2021, 10:38 AM - 3 Likes   #88764
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure.
Indeed. And people tend to forget that Africa is a big "place", too

05-19-2021, 10:44 AM - 4 Likes   #88765
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure.
Btw, if they mean to say that Luxembourg is the size of Alaska...!

Hmm, and Denmark is added including Greenland - which isn't in Europe.

Looking closer, I believe a lot of countries are drawn too big.

I think maybe this is closer to the truth.

05-19-2021, 10:54 AM - 3 Likes   #88766
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not really relevant, but speaking of Africa and the Americas, I quite like Heyerdahl's theories. Even if they have mostly been disproved and argued against, I at least like his expeditions and his writings of them.
By coincidence I’ve come across my ancient battered paperback of the Kon-Tiki Expedition again at the weekend. That’s a keeper, a really good account of an outlandish idea put to the test. Highly recommended!

If you’re thinking of trying the long-distance canoeing again - you’ll probably have to find a different second paddler next time - perhaps it would be prudent to study some wayfaring methods. The Barefoot Navigator by Jack Lagan is a really good read as well as a Polynesian navigation primer of sorts.

Last edited by StiffLegged; 05-19-2021 at 11:01 AM.
05-19-2021, 02:48 PM - 4 Likes   #88767
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed, back in my day, I mean back in David Thompson's day, it was canoes everywhere. Much quicker and vital as a method of transportation.
Yes, but you set fire to yours, remember?
05-19-2021, 02:52 PM - 3 Likes   #88768
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just noticed the addition with my last post.

In my discussions with my wife after a long conversation.....she usually says "....and coming back to the original point of our discussion..."
Glad you like it!

Annie's always telling me off for interrupting.
But, as I learnt from my very old friend Tony (ZR1TT for those of you into ham and military radio) the simplest is just to say "Resuming" and carry on where you let off.
05-19-2021, 03:00 PM - 4 Likes   #88769
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed. And people tend to forget that Africa is a big "place", too
Indeed.

Africa is big. Australia is pretty big too.
New Zealand is not that different from an upside down Italy.
Attached Images

05-19-2021, 03:40 PM - 3 Likes   #88770
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Glad you like it!

Annie's always telling me off for interrupting.
But, as I learnt from my very old friend Tony (ZR1TT for those of you into ham and military radio) the simplest is just to say "Resuming" and carry on where you let off.
I like it. I finally have an aristocratic title, something that has been sorely missing all these years.

My wife also reminds me when I'm interrupting. Geez, women seem so focused on the rules and regs of discussion.