Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2021, 05:19 AM - 2 Likes   #89236
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Nah, it was a no-brand IIRC... I should still have it somewhere... the saw was quite good in fact
If the saw was the same design as on the SAK it probably was good. One of the best features of the design is that they can be sharpened just by running each side flat on a sharpening stone for a few passes. I've sharpened the one on my original Champion more than once over the years.

06-05-2021, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #89237
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Okay, so at least I know I'm not totally senile. I was sure it had been in the news here about the government wanting to ban pointed kitchen knives and that in a survey of several professional chefs determined that there was no need for a point.
06-05-2021, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #89238
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
It's hard to beat the quality, for the money, of Victorinox kitchen knives, I have a few.
Cooks Country/America's Test Kitchen highly recommend them year after year.

Testing: 10-Inch Chef's Knife | Cook's Illustrated
For kitchen knives all I have of theirs is a bread knife, a paring knife and a set of steak knives.

Victorinox has been around since 1884. For years they've been buying their blade steel from Bonpertuis in France. They've been in business for nearly 700 600 years.
Between the two of them they have the experience to know how to make a good knife.

Last edited by Parallax; 06-05-2021 at 02:12 PM.
06-05-2021, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #89239
Veteran Member

No wonder the USPS is bleeding money.
I ordered some bbq rubs from a company here in MO, They're located a little NE of Kansas City.
June 1 it went to KC, then across state to St Louis. June 2 it went to Springfield, Illinois.
This morning it left Springfield headed to St Louis again. Expected delivery this Friday. I'm not holding my breath.
Finally out for delivery today, only took all week to cross the state, about 250 miles.
It did come back to StL from Springfield, IL, then yesterday it left the distribution center, an hour later it arrived back at the same center, according to tracking.
Glad it wasn't an emergency medical supply.

06-05-2021, 06:37 AM - 2 Likes   #89240
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
My recent flashlight purchase came in a blister pack that almost defied opening. Bad words were flying out of my mouth.
Not my pic:
I am retired, but did a lot of business travel by commercial air over the years. I only took essential items with me on such trips, and if essential I did not trust checking bags and hoping they made it to the same destination at the same time. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) frowned on any edge with a point in carry-on bags. Such blister packs were a bane to my travel. I did finally figure out that children's short rounded nose scissors were permissible. On one trip I stopped at an office supply store and purchased a pair. After paying the clerk, I asked to borrow a pair of scissors. The clerk looked down at the scissors in my hand, and looked at me like I was crazy. I pointed out that I had no means of opening the bloody blister pack. After the little lightbulb went on over her head, she loaned me the counter pair of scissors.

For the record, the edge on those Frisker children's scissors or the point on my ball point pen could do just as much damage to flesh as the pocket knife I usually carry when not travelling by air...
06-05-2021, 07:33 AM - 2 Likes   #89241
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
When Mrs. Racer and I took the grandson’s car to North Carolina last month I knew we would be flying back, so I was sure to leave my pocket knife at home.

For the four days we were gone I felt nekkid without it.

The first thing I did when we walked in the door at home was put my knife back in my pocket.

It is one of these:

06-05-2021, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #89242
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My recent flashlight purchase came in a blister pack that almost defied opening. Bad words were flying out of my mouth.
This is not a new problem: decades ago I read a complaint that fragile, impact-sensitive commodities like eggs are sold in flimsy cardboard boxes, while a cold chisel comes in packaging fit to defy all attempts at opening.

And processed cheez was sliced, stacked with plastic film between each slice and finally passed through a laminating press before packing for sale...

Last edited by StiffLegged; 06-05-2021 at 09:43 AM.
06-05-2021, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #89243
Pentaxian

This is my daily carry , multi tool. Small but mighty, as they used to say about cartoon character Mighty Mouse. Mine is green. I have another ...non colour...Micra .

Micra Multi-Tool | Leatherman
06-05-2021, 09:53 AM   #89244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I did finally figure out that children's short rounded nose scissors were permissible.
A few years ago, on a return trip from CO Springs, Mrs Bob was pulled aside while security went through her purse.
They had a reading, but trouble finding the item. Then I saw tears welling up in her eyes. It seems the item was a tiny pair of sewing scissors she had forgotten were in there. The tears came because the confiscated scissors had belonged to her late mother.
06-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #89245
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few years ago, on a return trip from CO Springs, Mrs Bob was pulled aside while security went through her purse.
They had a reading, but trouble finding the item. Then I saw tears welling up in her eyes. It seems the item was a tiny pair of sewing scissors she had forgotten were in there. The tears came because the confiscated scissors had belonged to her late mother.
Oh no.

I think I would have missed my flight to save them from my forgetfulness.
06-05-2021, 11:08 AM   #89246
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Not my pic:
I got some batteries last week, CR2025, about the size of a quarter of a USD. The childproof packing put the battery in a fully sealed plastic package attacked to the card. Only possible to open using scissors. Not like the good old days when it was a plastic bubble stuck the the card.
06-05-2021, 11:13 AM   #89247
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
For kitchen knives all I have of theirs is a bread knife, a paring knife and a set of steak knives.

Victorinox has been around since 1884. For years they've been buying their blade steel from Bonpertuis in France. They've been in business for nearly 700 years.
Between the two of them they have the experience to know how to make a good knife.
So they supplied the steel for the swords used by the French at Agincourt, where Henry V archers did the French over most severely.

Argincourt, 1415, and Waterloo, 1815, 400 years apart.
06-05-2021, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #89248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
So they supplied the steel for the swords used by the French at Agincourt, where Henry V archers did the French over most severely.

Agincourt, 1415, and Waterloo, 1815, 400 years apart.

Desolé, mon brave...
06-05-2021, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #89249
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote

Argincourt, 1415, and Waterloo, 1815, 400 years apart.
They started in 1434, so, no.
06-05-2021, 01:11 PM   #89250
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
They started in 1434, so, no.
That means they have been around nearly 600 years, not the 700 mentioned above.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »