Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2021, 10:23 AM   #89266
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yep, the 457 is the current. There was a 455 between the 452 and 457. There are several configurations within the line. The big difference between the 457 the previous is the 457s have a shorter bolt throw and an American type safety.
Long range rimfire has become popular around here. Targets out to 200 yds. The match winner is usually one of 4 or 5 people. All of them shoot either CZ or Tikka. The SK match ammo is one of the most accurate but at over $10.00 a box (of 50) it's one of the most expensive.
Thx for the info. I thought that might be the case regarding the evolution of the 450 series of CZ rifles, but good to have it confirmed.

Match shooting of course is big in Europe. Interesting that you mention it, as when my buddy was looking for a rifle for target shooting, I came across info online which indicated, as you have said that CZ rifles were successful in match shooting...also the CZ pistols. As a result, I recommended he look at CZ rifles', he did and then purchased one.

Since the '60's I have been interested in both the history and current Czech engineering and products. Even when they were behind the Iron Curtain, they always seemed to be able to come up with excellent products.

When I was about 16 and had my first motorcycle...another Czech make...a Jawa...I sent away to the Jawa-CZ-Skoda distributor in Canada and asked if they have any written material on Czechoslovakian machines. A couple weeks later, I received a big box full of brochures of Czech made motorcycles, a factory tuning book that provided instructions on how to modify the ports, carb, exhaust of their 2 stroke engines to increase the power significantly....and a bunch of magazines called Czechoslovakian Life ...which was similar to Life magazine, but in a smaller format. Most of the magazines were in Czech...so I had some difficulty following the stories.

BTW, not many people know that the Czech word for oil is 'olej' . But I do.

The brochures and tuning book were in English.

06-06-2021, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #89267
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I agree, there are a lot of things I like here in UK. But it looks very hung over from medieval ways. (I don’t mean that they drank too much mead following Argincourt, in celebration of the result but that thee is continuity from many things medieval.) But to expand on that is likely to take the thread down a prohibited topic discussion.
06-06-2021, 11:30 AM - 3 Likes   #89268
Pentaxian

Today is the 77th anniversary of D-Day.
06-06-2021, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #89269
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I agree, there are a lot of things I like here in UK. But it looks very hung over from medieval ways. (I don’t mean that they drank too much mead following Argincourt, in celebration of the result but that thee is continuity from many things medieval.) But to expand on that is likely to take the thread down a prohibited topic discussion.
Oi be puzzled and swoggled wot yer mean, arrr. Oi mean, we's so newfangled we cain't see past wur mangel wurzle stooks nowadays, as oi said to t'squire just yester e'en, bless his gracious heart, and he had me expelled from t'stocks afore witching hour lest oi put a hex on 'em. We b'ain't behind times loik them strange folk in furrin parts over t'river, we wears our smocks over our undervestments proper loik. You just arsk Sir Monty of Python if oi'm right, see you do!

06-06-2021, 02:15 PM   #89270
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
...Talking about whippets, we don't have many out here. But a family member has a sled dog type from Northern Canada and the vet said he has Siberian Husky and some Greyhound , along with other breeds as part of his DNA. To watch him run is a treat...he 'explodes' off the line, his speed is exceptional and his endurance to keep on running is phenomenal. Long, strong legs, deep chest, large lungs...all muscle, double coat, and he loves pumpkin flavoured dog biscuits.
Not much whippet or greyhound in there if he has great endurance – apart from some bursts of great speed, they're some of the laziest dogs I know, which makes them really easy to keep. However, I love watching these terrific sprinters when they do let it rip!
06-06-2021, 03:13 PM   #89271
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Not much whippet or greyhound in there if he has great endurance – apart from some bursts of great speed, they're some of the laziest dogs I know, which makes them really easy to keep. However, I love watching these terrific sprinters when they do let it rip!
You're forgetting that he has a lot of Siberian Husky in him, which are known for great endurance. Sled dogs are a mix of different breeds....not just pure husky as some believe. Different breeds are added for their positives...and there is a lot of trial and error in determining what mix works best. If it doesn't work....in the real world of sled pulling...then back to 'tuning' up the breed mix again.

We don't have greyhound racing here in my region...you do in the uk. There at the racing tracks, greyhounds are and have been.... bred for eons.... for one think...fast speed on a short track.

Remember the old saying...different courses for different horses.
06-06-2021, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #89272
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
We don't have greyhound racing here in my region...
When I first came to South Dakota in '78 Rapid City had a greyhound track. I never went to a race but I found it comforting that they had an adoption program for retired dogs. Conventional wisdom was that hey mead wonderful pets..

06-06-2021, 04:00 PM   #89273
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
When I first came to South Dakota in '78 Rapid City had a greyhound track. I never went to a race but I found it comforting that they had an adoption program for retired dogs. Conventional wisdom was that hey mead wonderful pets..
The Vet we used, until she retired, was in addition to being an excellent Vet was a lovely warm hearted individual.

She was a major driving force in running the local greyhound adoption organization. Greyhounds who were past their racing days, would be brought up here, generally from other areas in North America, given a physical by her and then good homes would be found by the local organization.

I recall when she retired about a decade ago, she had two ex racing greyhounds as her pets.
06-06-2021, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #89274
dbs
Pentaxian

So .... you need a gun in the forest areas and out on the plains ... that is reasonable.
But you don't need one if you live in a large to huge city .... yeah I know only in America.
06-06-2021, 07:12 PM   #89275
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
But you don't need one if you live in a large to huge city ....
Well, you're not supposed to need one there.
06-06-2021, 07:16 PM - 6 Likes   #89276
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Today is the 77th anniversary of D-Day.
06-06-2021, 08:31 PM   #89277
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well, you're not supposed to need one there.
Yep .......

but you've got rights with no responsability ....

Anyway its BACON time
06-06-2021, 10:14 PM   #89278
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Oi be puzzled and swoggled wot yer mean, arrr. Oi mean, we's so newfangled we cain't see past wur mangel wurzle stooks nowadays, as oi said to t'squire just yester e'en, bless his gracious heart, and he had me expelled from t'stocks afore witching hour lest oi put a hex on 'em. We b'ain't behind times loik them strange folk in furrin parts over t'river, we wears our smocks over our undervestments proper loik. You just arsk Sir Monty of Python if oi'm right, see you do!
You make me smile.

That is not the only hangover from those times. Enough said for here.
06-07-2021, 03:19 AM - 2 Likes   #89279
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote

but you've got rights with no responsability ....
Everything comes with responsibility.

The good people accept ownership of that responsibility.
06-07-2021, 03:37 AM - 2 Likes   #89280
Veteran Member

Late this afternoon I'm meeting up with a strange woman I met on Facebook at a local Target store parking lot.
Details about how it went later, if I can remember.
Hint, she knows how to make long soft things firm up.