Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2021, 10:44 AM - 5 Likes   #89446
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Heading to a near record for the date, they say 96F. The humidity is down, so it's not too terrible.
Yesterday I bbq-ed a pork butt for pulled fork. Along with some potato salad, it was a great summertime meal.

Looks delicious Bob!

The wife and I headed out early Sunday morning in the SxS to collect some wood from a downed maple. on the way back home, I offered to buy us lunch at a local newly opened restaurant. Not wanting to be in nap mode when I got home, I avoided the burger and fries. Instead I got the "Greek Bowl" and my wife got the "Mexican bowl". Both having chunks f chicken as the protein but with a load of veggies. I was very full after eating it but figured hey, it's mostly veggies, I'll be hungry in an hour. Not so. I was so full I did not even eat supper nor could I enjoy a cold beer at the end of my day. That said, a frosty cold G&T came to the rescue as a nice sit down and enjoy drink.

Attached Images

06-14-2021, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #89447
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
29C (~88F) in the UK today, phew!
I think it was cooler here. Now much cooler.
06-14-2021, 01:04 PM   #89448
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I began to think that Scandinavian influenced , Northern Minnesota speech was normal.
It isn't?
06-14-2021, 01:05 PM - 4 Likes   #89449
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Sorry, but you're both wrong. It's spelled with a d, not a t, and it's two words. Uff da.
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
You could be right. I sort of remember that Minnesotans saying this...usually said it as two words.
Two words, but contracted to one when spoken. And I guess it should be "Uff, da" if we're to be strict. That unstressed "da" at the end doesn't really mean anything, but it has a function. Or a lot of functions, depending on the context. "Bob, da!" could mean something like "Bob, what on earth are you doing?!" or "Bob, that wasn't very smart, was it?" - depending on the tone of voice. "Bob, da?" - "what about Bob?" In other settings "da" can mean something like "of course". Like when you're discussing whome to invite: "ikke Bob, da" - "not Bob, of course"

06-14-2021, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #89450
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Any one miss Bert's bagpipes?
Me neither.
Hope our son is faring well at summer camp.
Want me to post some Badpiper videos?
06-14-2021, 01:06 PM - 2 Likes   #89451
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I doubt they will ever come up with an electric powered truck that will haul this much weight very far.

I think they will - eventually.

Hard to prove me wrong, too
06-14-2021, 01:18 PM - 3 Likes   #89452
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Want me to post some Badpiper videos?
Surely you can't be serious.

06-14-2021, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #89453
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Looks delicious Bob!

The wife and I headed out early Sunday morning in the SxS to collect some wood from a downed maple. on the way back home, I offered to buy us lunch at a local newly opened restaurant. Not wanting to be in nap mode when I got home, I avoided the burger and fries. Instead I got the "Greek Bowl" and my wife got the "Mexican bowl". Both having chunks f chicken as the protein but with a load of veggies. I was very full after eating it but figured hey, it's mostly veggies, I'll be hungry in an hour. Not so. I was so full I did not even eat supper nor could I enjoy a cold beer at the end of my day. That said, a frosty cold G&T came to the rescue as a nice sit down and enjoy drink.
That is a nice looking ATV. Big, comfortable, has a roof, one of my favourite vehicle makes (Yamaha- I've had this firm's motorcycles), a roof over your head, looks like good payload and go anywhere 4WD. I've never had one (ATV), don't have an area where I could drive one, but I still like them.

Sounds like a very nice day, you and your better half had....the wife always seems to be our better half...for some reason, don't they.
06-14-2021, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #89454
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He is serious, but don't call him Shirley!
06-14-2021, 02:28 PM - 4 Likes   #89455
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
He’s not.

He is Savoche.
06-14-2021, 02:41 PM - 2 Likes   #89456
Pentaxian

Two words, but contracted to one when spoken. And I guess it should be "Uff, da" if we're to be strict. That unstressed "da" at the end doesn't really mean anything, but it has a function. Or a lot of functions, depending on the context. "Bob, da!" could mean something like "Bob, what on earth are you doing?!" or "Bob, that wasn't very smart, was it?" - depending on the tone of voice. "Bob, da?" - "what about Bob?" In other settings "da" can mean something like "of course". Like when you're discussing whome to invite: "ikke Bob, da" - "not Bob, of course"
Would you call this a polyseme ? **

You sir, are this thread's resident linguist. You explain words, language and the use of..... in vivid detail, provide exceptional examples to reinforce your explanations.

Over the years, being the 'example' has always been my lot in life....

** In the interests of full disclosure, I had to look that word up and I'm still not sure if I got it right.
06-14-2021, 02:53 PM - 3 Likes   #89457
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bob da!
06-14-2021, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #89458
Pentaxian

I think they will - eventually.

Hard to prove me wrong, too
I think it will take a decade or two, at the very least, to prove one way or the other.

My concern with electric motors, boils down to two simple concerns.

1) Range....that is not adversely affected by cold temperatures and driving conditions.

2) Rapidity of providing the electric motors 'fuel'...the batteries.... a full charge at a competitive time, compared to the time, at which fueling an internal combustion engine powered vehicle.

I have no doubt, due to my respect for the incredible abilities of engineers and technologists, that these issues will be will eventually resolved . But the question is when.
06-14-2021, 04:23 PM - 3 Likes   #89459
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are a number of reasons why we'll struggle to see electric trucks do long distance as well as diesel trucks.
Most large semis will do 1,500 to 2,000 miles on a tank of Diesel. The best an electrical semi will do is 200 miles on a charge (Tesla claims 400 miles but they're not in production yet) and for every 200 miles you have a minimum 90 minute stop for recharging. Assuming there's chargers when and where you need them, that's 900 minutes charging for 2,000 miles, so 37.5 hours charging time vs less than a half-hour filling up time for the Diesel.

Now, given that there's a lot less servicing for an electric semi, compared with a Diesel semi, there may be some savings against that 37 hour loss but I somehow doubt it. Consider too the fact that truck payload is governed by overall axle and truck weight limits so any electric semi is going to haul less freight than a Diesel semi truck.

So, for short-haul depot to end-user deliveries, electric trucks may stack up in the short-term, but for long distance hauling it's going to be a hard task to beat Diesel as an energy source.
06-14-2021, 04:35 PM - 3 Likes   #89460
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the things I pondered this morning as I took out the wheelie-bin to the verge for "bin day" is how we have effectively been conned on the issue of so-called "single use plastic bags".
It used to be that we would do our grocery shopping and have the check-out staff pack everything into "free" plastic shopping bags which we then took home and unpacked into the pantry.

We then used those "free" plastic bags as bin liners for all the various bins in the house, most notably the bins in the bathrooms and kitchen. Come rubbish day, I emptied all those bins into the wheelie-bin (except for the Kitchen one which is emptied probably daily) and I'd take it all out to the grass verge for collection. The "Single use plastic bags" were not single use, of course, having been used for a number of different uses before ending up in the trash.

Now, in the aim of being clean and green (supposedly), our grocery stores no longer supplies "single use plastic bags" and if we want our groceries bagged, we either have to buy paper bags or buy reusable fabric bags which we have to take to and from the shops.
Of course, unless we want the bins to be a soggy mess and constantly wash out the bins, we need bin liners. The paper bags are no good as the bottoms fall out of them quick smart. So, we buy plastic bin liners and clearly we're not the only ones as the shops have a whole stack of shelves devoted to the sale of various plastic bag options in a plethora of sizes, shapes, colours and options such as biodegradable or not.

And all these bags end up in the trash, exactly the same as the good old "single use" bags used to. Except, we now buy these bags. Progress!