Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2021, 08:35 AM - 6 Likes   #89656
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tim60's mention of Stonehenge makes me post this photo from last summer. It's about 40 minutes' drive from where I live.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
06-20-2021, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #89657
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We'd usually be at Center Parcs Longleat soon, which is also within 40 mins of Stonehenge, except in these times we've booked for elsewhere in the UK this summer. Can't wait to get away at last! Remember to buy your solstice virgin for tomorrow before Waitrose closes; there's been quite a run on them this year. Rumour has it the toilet paper tycoons have been buying up stock.
06-20-2021, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #89658
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Tim60's mention of Stonehenge makes me post this photo from last summer. It's about 40 minutes' drive from where I live.
I've been there a number of time, three at last count over the years. I recall in 1974, we were able to go straight to the site, no fences, etc. The history of Stonehenge and a number of other sites in Britain have had a fascination for me.

At my age, it is not likely that I will travel again overseas. Too bad in a way, as with ancestry.ca I have been able to trace where my English ancestors came from...Kings Lynn, Norfolk,
Northhamptonshire, etc. Also Scotland, the Isle of Skye where my Scottish ancestors lived. Also, Holland where my Dutch ancestors lived.

Would be of interest to see these places.
06-20-2021, 10:29 AM - 3 Likes   #89659
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have been there twice. The first time I took two Canadians. We drove past and they decided not to go in. We went on to Bath for lunch. Had a nice pub meal.

A few months later, in December, I took my family there. Cold and windy day.

06-20-2021, 12:46 PM - 3 Likes   #89660
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Thanks for the advice Jim.
My plan is to find a spot where it will be passing. I would not want to fight the crowd when it's stationary, especially in August heat.
The 18-135 was already my lens choice for my KP.
That's why you need a K-1 and a DFA70-200. Name it Mjölnir and wield it with Thor's wrath, and the crowds will bother you no more.

QuoteQuote:
Bacon coming right up!
Hail bacon!
06-20-2021, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #89661
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I have been there twice. The first time I took two Canadians. We drove past and they decided not to go .

The two Canadians must be wimps. Odds are they're from Toronto.
06-20-2021, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #89662
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yesterday at 5:48 am shift start they told us that two weeks after we get vaccinated we can lose the mask.

First thing I did was have a look at the options here. Found my local pharmacy had appointments. I scheduled one, and since we get 2 hours paid to go get it, left early.

Johnson & Johnson, one and done.

In two weeks time Racer will be invincible.
Good news, #69! They don't distribute the Johnson&Johnson (nor the AstraZeneca) here, only Pfizer and Moderna.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I get my 2nd vaccination, this Sunday. Pfizer, both 1 and 2. Wife got second shot yesterday. Most of my family/extended family have got their shots, both 1 and 2. So in about 2 weeks plus, I will be able to return to some semblance of normalcy.
Moderna for me. Don't know yet when I'll have the second shot, probably in August.

06-20-2021, 01:15 PM - 3 Likes   #89663
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I received my first Pfizer vaccine on Thursday. Sadly, I can't transmit 5G yet.
Patience, my friend. 4G 2-3 weeks after the first shot, then 5G a week or so after the second.

The latest Covid anti-vaxxer nonsense being spread here is that it makes you magnetic. That's right folks. I'll be able to hang off a big magnet soon. Can't wait!
If I wasn't eager to get the vaccine already this would definitely turn me around
06-20-2021, 01:17 PM - 3 Likes   #89664
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oops, I only checked on NZ for the 1st day of winter, and it said June 21.
Just another reason to doubt that Australia is real.

I see you're getting double posts too.
It's been bucketing down for days. Rivers up everywhere, some bridges under water down South. A tornado Saturday morning in South Auckland caused havoc, ripped the roofs of several houses, tossed shipping containers about and killed one unlucky guy.
So, yes, it's winter.
06-20-2021, 01:17 PM - 2 Likes   #89665
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
At least we are on the map! It's NZ that is not real.
Hey!
06-20-2021, 02:19 PM - 3 Likes   #89666
Veteran Member

A nickname for St louis is Mound City because it was built on several ceremonial Native American mounds.
Right across the Mississippi, in Illinois, is Cahokia mounds, aka Cahokia Woodhenge.
Not nearly as old as Stonehenge, but impressive none the less. The accomplishments of some early cultures amazes me.
06-20-2021, 02:49 PM - 4 Likes   #89667
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Good news, #69! They don't distribute the Johnson&Johnson (nor the AstraZeneca) here, only Pfizer and Moderna.

Moderna for me. Don't know yet when I'll have the second shot, probably in August.
Just (this afternoon) had my second vaccination, Pfizer. Got my first vac April 5/21, also Pfizer. Hopefully your 2nd vac will be moved up. When I got Vac #1 in early April, I assumed I wouldn't get vac # 2 till July/August. But supplies of vaccines are coming in quicker than thought back then.

After I got my second shot, I had to sit and wait for 15 minutes to see if I didn't get any ill effects. While sitting, a young lady came by and reviewed how I might feel, for the next couple of days. She was quite knowledgeable, able to answer any questions quickly, concisely. I asked her if she was a nurse, she replied, no, I'm a dentist. Medical professionals have been volunteering , in my province , to assist with the vaccination process.

I was quite impressed with this young dentist volunteering her time on a Sunday, to provide detailed, valuable information to people getting their vaccinations. Nice to see the younger generation providing volunteer service to their community.
06-20-2021, 04:02 PM - 3 Likes   #89668
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A nickname for St louis is Mound City because it was built on several ceremonial Native American mounds.
Right across the Mississippi, in Illinois, is Cahokia mounds, aka Cahokia Woodhenge.
Not nearly as old as Stonehenge, but impressive none the less. The accomplishments of some early cultures amazes me.
I've been reading some interesting stuff about early human history. Much earlier than we tend to think about.
It appears that humans first built cities as long ago as 9,000 years, i.e. 7,000 BCE. The earliest writing found dates from around 6,000 BCE. We have very little information from more than 3,000 BCE, so 5,000 years ago.
The earliest writing for which we know the author of dates to about 4,500 years ago, 2,500 BCE. Creative writing dates from at least 1,800 BCE. While there are several written texts from that time, the most interesting is the Epic of Gilgamesh. (Which coincidentally mentions a prostitute, again proving that it really is one of the oldest professions.)

Consider therefore that there have been thousands of years of human interactions of which we know almost nothing. It's a sobering thought.
06-20-2021, 04:06 PM - 4 Likes   #89669
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The accomplishments of some early cultures amazes me.
I've observed that every generation thinks they invented civilization, sex, and a particular 4 letter word.
06-20-2021, 04:28 PM - 2 Likes   #89670
Pentaxian

I've been reading some interesting stuff about early human history. Much earlier than we tend to think about.
It appears that humans first built cities as long ago as 9,000 years, i.e. 7,000 BCE. The earliest writing found dates from around 6,000 BCE. We have very little information from more than 3,000 BCE, so 5,000 years ago.
The earliest writing for which we know the author of dates to about 4,500 years ago, 2,500 BCE. Creative writing dates from at least 1,800 BCE. While there are several written texts from that time, the most interesting is the Epic of Gilgamesh. (Which coincidentally mentions a prostitute, again proving that it really is one of the oldest professions.)

Consider therefore that there have been thousands of years of human interactions of which we know almost nothing. It's a sobering thought.
I've been reading a book, called The Tale of the Axe, by David Miles, Miles was the Director of the Oxford Archeological Unit and Chief Archeologist of English Heritage. The book is a detailed look at how the Neolithic Revolution transformed Britain. The book just doesn't look at the British experience, but does look at the Neolithic period across the world.

It is quite a read, about quite a period.