Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2021, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #91171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There was also a drill that worked the same way.
From what I remember my dad may have had that tool too. The uncle was related to us, so we may have gotten some Yankee tools as Xmas gifts. My dad swore by them, not at them ...they were excellent quality.

07-31-2021, 09:27 AM - 4 Likes   #91172
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another reason to NOT live in California.
Bacon may disappear in California as pig rules take effect
07-31-2021, 09:35 AM - 4 Likes   #91173
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
As if there was a dearth of reasons before.

I grew up there. I graduated High School in June and left the state in July. Looking back in later years I've wondered why I waited a month.
07-31-2021, 10:36 AM - 2 Likes   #91174
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Didn't have the time when I was a working man.

07-31-2021, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #91175
Pentaxian

An uncle of mine was a salesman, an excellent one who later had his own manufacturer's agent company. One of the products he sold, up here, was the Yankee Screwdriver. This would be back in the 1950's and '60's.

My dad had one and as you say, it was an excellent product. I don't know what became of ours, possibly lost during my parent's couple of house moves.

I have used the Yankee Screwdriver, many decades ago and it still sticks in my mind as one of the best tools I've used. I recall it was well built.
Nowadays I use a battery powered driver, but still have the Yankee screwdriver I used as a young man. A fine tool which will likely outlast me. Sigh.
07-31-2021, 11:28 AM - 4 Likes   #91176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
As if there was a dearth of reasons before.

I grew up there. I graduated High School in June and left the state in July. Looking back in later years I've wondered why I waited a month.
You were only makiní sure doughnuts were available wherever you were goiní?
07-31-2021, 12:13 PM - 2 Likes   #91177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Chris Rea: Working on it.

08-01-2021, 03:03 AM - 2 Likes   #91178
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

I generally am clean shaven. I use an old fashioned safety razor. My shaving equipment comes from different countries. Proraso shaving soap from Italy, Muhle safety razor from Germany, Feather brand razor blades from Japan, Shaving brush also from Italy and Fendrihan shaving mug from Canada.

It takes time, but I like the results and I've only been shaving this way since I've been retired. Didn't have the time when I was a working man.
You are onto something. My once-a-week clipper buzz is basically a result of laziness
08-01-2021, 03:24 AM - 2 Likes   #91179
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mrs Bob has never seen me without a 'stache. My beard growing attempts have been pathetic, I'm too far removed from the ape.
Well there is a very good possibility that we descended from a hairless aquatic ape that evolved in a watery environment. Interesting TED Talk.

08-01-2021, 05:13 AM - 2 Likes   #91180
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Bacon may disappear in California as pig rules take effect
Pigs might disagree.
08-01-2021, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #91181
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well there is a very good possibility that we descended from a hairless aquatic ape that evolved in a watery environment. Interesting TED Talk.

Elaine Morgan says we evolved from aquatic apes - YouTube
An interesting thought, but I don't think you'll find a lot of support for them in scientific communities. I think the aquatic ape hypothesis looks a bit like string theory - it explains "everything" without formulating an awful lot of disprovable hypotheses.

She could still be right, of course, but as it stands I think it's more a set of interesting thoughts than a proper scientific theory.
08-01-2021, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #91182
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote

Elaine Morgan says we evolved from aquatic apes - YouTube
The weird thing is I read the theory years ago, never read anything that in anyway disproved it, and just assumed it was part of the understanding of human evolution. Now I find out it was never accepted by the majority. How weird is that.

I have never had an instance in my life where believing we were at one stage aquatic, in any way interfered in my understanding of anything. So what's weird to me, with the ridicule still directed at the theory would be "why?, what is the harm in thinking that?"

---------- Post added 08-01-21 at 09:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
She could still be right, of course, but as it stands I think it's more a set of interesting thoughts than a proper scientific theory.
hairlessness, the fat layer, are facts. Facts that are so obvious the "priests" of science don't think they have to address them. As she said, there is no other theory to explain these things. They are protecting a vacuum. " The facts are for aquatic ancestors, and there are no other explanations to explain certain attributes.. So it become a sociological discussion on the hierarchical nature of human organization, where "it's not true because I say it's not" becomes the dominant position. It becomes the hierarchies way of weeding out original thinkers and maintaining their positions as the guardians of an ideological fortress. Huge structures that defend a position, built on sand, smoke and mirrors.

In the 40 years I've followed the subject, no one has ever explained scientifically why it's wrong.
As the speaker says, all I've seen is unfounded assertions that it's not true, framed in away that let's you know, your career is ruined if take it up. When there is no science, threats and intimidation will do.

Last edited by normhead; 08-01-2021 at 06:20 AM.
08-01-2021, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #91183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The weird thing is I read the theory years ago, never read anything that in anyway disproved it, and just assumed it was part of the understanding of human evolution. Now I find out it was never accepted by the majority. How weird is that.

I have never had an instance in my life where believing we were at one stage aquatic, in any way interfered in my understanding of anything. So what's weird to me, with the ridicule still directed at the theory would be "why?, what is the harm in thinking that?"

---------- Post added 08-01-21 at 09:06 AM ----------

hairlessness, the fat layer, are facts. Facts that are so obvious the "priests" of science don't think they have to address them. As she said, there is no other theory to explain these things. They are protecting a vacuum. " The facts are for aquatic ancestors, and there are no other explanations to explain certain attributes.. So it become a sociological discussion on the hierarchical nature of human organization, where "it's not true because I say it's not" becomes the dominant position. It becomes the hierarchies way of weeding out original thinkers and maintaining their positions as the guardians of an ideological fortress. Huge structures that defend a position, built on sand, smoke and mirrors.

In the 40 years I've followed the subject, no one has ever explained scientifically why it's wrong.
As the speaker says, all I've seen is unfounded assertions that it's not trueramed in away that e's you know, you're career is ruined if take it up. When there is no science, threats and intimidation will do.
Apparently the fat layer also occurs in other primates with sufficient food supply.
https://paoloviscardi.com/2013/05/11/aquatic-ape-the-body-fat-observation/

08-01-2021, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #91184
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Right near the end she addressed a reason for science not accepting the possibility. Accepting the idea is not a career advancing move.
I see the problem as this:
As individuals scientists believe that a new theory that hasn't been disproved is plausible.
As a community they see anything new idea that hasn't been proven is rubbish. It's the scientific community that dictates what is generally presented and taught as fact and saying "we were wrong" just isn't acceptable.
08-01-2021, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #91185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Apparently the fat layer also occurs in other primates with sufficient food supply.
Aquatic Ape – the body fat observation | Zygoma
And that in no way disproves the aquatic origin theory. It suggests there may be other possibilities, but in now way suggest the aquatic theory is incorrect, only that it may be. That's why you never deal with one data point. Look at all the evidence.
Or as the speaker put it, you're defending a vacuum.

As for your link, I have rarely seen more speculation presented as science. Personally, I find the whole study of evolution to be for the large part, "guess of the day" more than science. Somewhere between hard science and psychology or socoiology. The posted article being a perfect example.

My perfect field of study had it existed would have been the neurological basis of psychology and understanding belief and world view as functions of evolutionary neurological structures. Unfortunately I couldn't find an accredited program in that area, and I wasnt smart enough to do it on my own. My last counsellor in university after hearing this said, it will be 4 years and graduate school before you'll even get to look at those issues. My whole undergrad experience would have been 4 years of learning things I wasn't all that interested in. I quit and became a Cabinet Maker.

I'm just now beggining to see research, Oliver Sachs and Daniel J. Levitin have now written the books that could have been the basis of my chosen field of study... 50 years to late for me though.

Last edited by normhead; 08-01-2021 at 07:00 AM.