Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2021, 08:43 AM - 2 Likes   #91201
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
My waist length mane might be a result of laziness, but is more likely a result of vanity.
Not laziness, pressed for time. Probably.

I used electric shavers for years, good ones too, but I seemed to still have a degree of 'whiskeryness'....to coin a word...that I wanted to eliminate. So I remembered what my dad did, back in the '50's if he and my mom were going out for a night on the town. He would get his old safety razor out, rather than his electric shaver, and shave away.

I joined a shaving forum for a brief time, just to bring myself up to speed on the whys and wherefores of shaving using a safety razor, then went to a Canadian shaving outlet, Fendrihan and bought my first (and only( safety razor, the German made, Muhle R41.

Muhle R41 Tooth Comb Double-Edge Safety Razor ? Fendrihan Canada

It is an excellent shaving tool, particularly when coupled with the right razor blade. After much experimentation with a variety of razor blade company products, I found the right one for me...and my beard. Feather brand.

08-01-2021, 08:45 AM   #91202
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
We need a time machine.
Or a tunnel.

08-01-2021, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #91203
Pentaxian

My waist length mane might be a result of laziness, but is more likely a result of vanity.
If you got it...flaunt it.
08-01-2021, 08:50 AM - 2 Likes   #91204
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Not laziness, pressed for time. Probably.
That is my current approach to shaving since I started working on the 767/KC-46 program. I don't have time for a proper shave on work days, so I only shave with a mug of soap and a blade on my days off. Sometimes I'll do a quick cleanup weekdays after work with my Norelco triple head electric.

The mane thing began in my teen years as rebellion, then became my style. It has varied from shoulder or mid back to as long as it will grow ever since. Only once did I cut it short, when I started driving big trucks and found myself in Louisiana in July, tarping a load. The heat and humidity are unbearable there, and long hair wasn't compatible.

When I got home I had Mrs. Racer cut it off, and she kept it up for me until I let it grow back out during my last foot surgeries.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 08-01-2021 at 08:56 AM.
08-01-2021, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #91205
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

So the discussion has taken a turn to human evolution.

Now I am not an expert on the subject, only a casual observer.

But one thing about the current discussion.

We are not hairless. I have known men who look like they are wearing a fur coat. Knuckle dragging goons, arms, legs, back and chest looking like they are covered in Mohair.

Me, I not so hairy, but I do have hair. Chest, arms, beard, head. My back and legs are nearly devoid of hair, I've even been accused of shaving my legs.

No, humans are not hairless.
08-01-2021, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #91206
Pentaxian

So the discussion has taken a turn to human evolution.

Now I am not an expert on the subject, only a casual observer.

But one thing about the current discussion.

We are not hairless. I have known men who look like they are wearing a fur coat. Knuckle dragging goons, arms, legs, back and chest looking like they are covered in Mohair.

Me, I not so hairy, but I do have hair. Chest, arms, beard, head. My back and legs are nearly devoid of hair, I've even been accused of shaving my legs.

No, humans are not hairless.
It would be interesting to see some research on who are the hairiest people and where they live.
08-01-2021, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #91207
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Meet Hairy Larry.

08-01-2021, 10:58 AM - 3 Likes   #91208
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Unfortunately, the whole of evolutionary theory is no different. They have facts, they try and explain what they mean. But it's all guess work.
Its not the same by any stretch of the imagination. Unless you define anything that can't be proven to completeness as being all guesswork? We're quickly heading over into philosophy

Is that worse than ignoring physical attributes in your theory because they don't support your case?
Basing one's arguments on failed logic is plain wrong, no matter who else does what.

The accepted reasons for hairlessness, walking upright, etc. are spurious at best.
Conversely, where there is doubt, there should be no "accepted theory".
True, and as far as I know there is no generally accepted theory. There er numerous hypotheses, though.

In the video, it's pointed out, that the case for an aquatic ancestor I dismissed out of hand, not with evidence but with speculation that it could have happened some other way.
Aren't both sides (or however many sides there are) doing the same exact thing? There is no hard evidence explaining why we have these attributes. All we have is circumstantial evidence - or guesswork

I have serious lack of respect scientists who leave holes in their explanations and use accepted norms to justify their positions. That's not science, that's sociology. And all you can do with sociology is prove people believe it, not that it's right.
Wholeheartedly agreed, and it's not at all uncommon, unfortunately. Still, I would be just as right or wrong no matter what others might think of my hypothesis. Even proving everybody else wrong doesn't necessarily imply that I am right. We could all be wrong.
08-01-2021, 10:58 AM - 2 Likes   #91209
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Or the theory of Bacon!

Baconian theory of Shakespeare authorship - Wikipedia
08-01-2021, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #91210
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a number of them working at The Big Shed. Managers mostly.
Strange. They're here, too.
08-01-2021, 11:03 AM - 2 Likes   #91211
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Practicality (a.k.a. laziness) beat vanity the day I realised vanity was a lost cause
08-01-2021, 11:05 AM - 3 Likes   #91212
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Or a tunnel.
Been there, done that!

08-01-2021, 11:51 AM - 3 Likes   #91213
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The TED Talks are always interesting. I am also old enough to know that continental drift is a fantasy. Well at least according to the leading geologists of the 1950's and 60's.

Science can be just as territorial as closed minded as any other occupation. Just say that there were humans in the Americas over 15,000 years ago. The Covis First religion is pretty entrenched. They are still trying to figure out why stone tools and butcher marks were found on Mastodon bones some 130,000 years ago at the Cerruti Site in California.

Remarkable New Evidence for Human Activity in North America 130,000 Years Ago | Science | Smithsonian Magazine

There is still a lot of research and head scratching going on over these findings.
08-01-2021, 12:31 PM - 6 Likes   #91214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Science can be just as territorial as closed minded as any other occupation. Just say that there were humans in the Americas over 15,000 years ago. The Covis First religion is pretty entrenched. They are still trying to figure out why stone tools and butcher marks were found on Mastodon bones some 130,000 years ago at the Cerruti Site in California.
Now you're getting in my field of interest.
We have the Mastodon State Park just a few miles from here.
I collected surface found Native American stone tools for many years and have a few points about as old as the Clovis.
Sadly, a large portion of my collection was stolen several years back. You can see a few in this pic from my man cave:

08-01-2021, 01:12 PM - 5 Likes   #91215
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Any plans for putting in electric lights some day, Bob, or do you prefer to stick with the proven technology? D: