Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2021, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #91801
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Oh Norm thats not nice timing at all

Australia was where GM dies came to .... well die ( its to keep the earth stable and not spin out of control ).

BACON

Dave
When GM had their debacle in US a decade ago the Australian outpost was doing reasonably well, I think even making a profit. So the bean counters in US closed it down to keep the unprofitable US business going. Should have just sacked the unprofitable workers in Detroit.

Same thing happened to Chrysler in the late 1970s, who at least sold their only profitable factory in the world to Mitsubishi.

Then when Mitsubishi isinglass Japan got into bother the factory in Australia was their only profitable factory in the world so they closed it and kept the loss making factory in Japan going.

The lesson: making profit gives no security of jobs.

08-31-2021, 12:45 PM - 3 Likes   #91802
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
As much open space as there is in Australia, and they build housings developments right next to an airport.
And then they whinge and want the airport moved.
08-31-2021, 12:49 PM   #91803
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I poured it into the glass next to it. It tasted pretty much like any other ginger beer

---------- Post added 08-31-21 at 07:11 PM ----------

"Invert bottle before opening" is a bit ambiguous as it doesn't specify which way up the bottle should be stored . It was already open when I received it so I have no idea if the instruction was followed
The instructions are the same for Coopers.

Homer can mull over that!
08-31-2021, 01:18 PM - 3 Likes   #91804
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
And then they whinge and want the airport moved.
That exact thing happened in northern California in the 70s. The town I lived in had an active Air Force fighter base. A developer built dozens of homes at the South end of the runway; directly in line and a quarter mile or so away. 3 or 4 years later the majority of homes still hadn't sold so he sued the government. He lost. In fact the judge through it out before it even went to trial.

08-31-2021, 01:49 PM - 2 Likes   #91805
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That exact thing happened in northern California in the 70s. The town I lived in had an active Air Force fighter base. A developer built dozens of homes at the South end of the runway; directly in line and a quarter mile or so away. 3 or 4 years later the majority of homes still hadn't sold so he sued the government. He lost. In fact the judge through it out before it even went to trial.
For a similar arrangement of land use look on Googlemaps for Kaohsiung International Airport KHH. The houses at the end of the runway are 3 or 4 floors. Short runway with a major road at one end and houses at the other. Another like it is Song Shan in Taipei. That adds to the piloting challenge of being in the middle of a basin with mountains around in all directions, a good distance out from the airport.
08-31-2021, 04:21 PM - 3 Likes   #91806
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My stash of canned seafood is getting a bit large.
Attached Images

08-31-2021, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #91807
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
You're quite the sardine connoisseur there #1. So.e tasty looking tins of little fishes.

08-31-2021, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #91808
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
When I ordered this I had no idea it was going to be from Australia. All those air miles.
I love ginger beer. Tasty and refreshing!

Even inverted.
08-31-2021, 05:03 PM   #91809
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
When GM had their debacle in US a decade ago the Australian outpost was doing reasonably well, I think even making a profit. So the bean counters in US closed it down to keep the unprofitable US business going. Should have just sacked the unprofitable workers in Detroit.

Same thing happened to Chrysler in the late 1970s, who at least sold their only profitable factory in the world to Mitsubishi.

Then when Mitsubishi isinglass Japan got into bother the factory in Australia was their only profitable factory in the world so they closed it and kept the loss making factory in Japan going.

The lesson: making profit gives no security of jobs.
Ford still have factories in Australia ?
08-31-2021, 05:16 PM - 4 Likes   #91810
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Just got back from a hike. My neighbor and I went up on the Mount Loop Highway, and since neither of us has been out hiking lately, we chose the Big Four Ice Caves trail, an easy 3.2 mile roundtrip with 488 feet of elevation gain. I've made the hike a few dozen times over the last 45 years, and felt it would make a great "get back into condition" hike.

We got up early, left at 5:30, stopped in town and had a hearty breakfast, and were at the trailhead at around 7. Set out and about a quarter mile in found the footbridge across the river was washed out.

OK.

I suggested we try Lake 22. My friend said, "Sure!"

The trailhead for Lake 22 is just down the road a bit, on the way back to town, so off we go. By the time we set out it was 9. About 1.7 miles up the mountain there was a landslide, wiping out about 500 feet of the trail, at a switchback. We found a place where other hikers had blazed a bypass, straight up the hillside. Muddy, but passable. The last mile the trail crosses a large open slope of loose shale, typical of the local landscape.We got to the lake at 11:20. The trail continues around the lake, and we set out to make our way around but about a third of the way around the trail crosses a shale field, and both of us had gotten our fill of hiking across broken rocks and boulders, so we turned back and headed back down. It was 3 when we arrived back at the parking lot.

The Lake 22 trail is 6.8 miles round trip, with 1,473 feet of elevation gain.

I am beat.

Tomorrow my butt and legs are gonna be sore.

I think we might be making another hike Thursday.

Maybe.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 08-31-2021 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Stoopit spellchecker!
08-31-2021, 05:52 PM - 3 Likes   #91811
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Ford still have factories in Australia ?
Hi Les

All manufacturers have shot through ... gone ..... phff

I feel sorry for all the supply companies who are / were world leaders in their field and contracts .... poof gone

All plants for the different car manufacturers where in the black ... Detroit has a lot to answer for.

Dave
08-31-2021, 07:20 PM - 3 Likes   #91812
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Just got back from a hike. My neighbor and I went up on the Mount Loop Highway, and since neither of us has been out hiking lately, we chose the Big Four Ice Caves trail, an easy 3.2 mile roundtrip with 488 feet of elevation gain. I've made the hike a few dozen times over the last 45 years, and felt it would make a great "get back into condition" hike.

We got up early, left at 5:30, stopped in town and had a hearty breakfast, and were at the trailhead at around 7. Set out and about a quarter mile in found the footbridge across the river was washed out.

OK.

I suggested we try Lake 22. My friend said, "Sure!"

The trailhead for Lake 22 is just down the road a bit, on the way back to town, so off we go. By the time we set out it was 9. About 1.7 miles up the mountain there was a landslide, wiping out about 500 feet of the trail, at a switchback. We found a place where other hikers had blazed a bypass, straight up the hillside. Muddy, but passable. The last mile the trail crosses a large open slope of loose shale, typical of the local landscape.We got to the lake at 11:20. The trail continues around the lake, and we set out to make our way around but about a third of the way around the trail crosses a shale field, and both of us had gotten our fill of hiking across broken rocks and boulders, so we turned back and headed back down. It was 3 when we arrived back at the parking lot.

The Lake 22 trail is 6.8 miles round trip, with 1,473 feet of elevation gain.

I am beat.

Tomorrow my butt and legs are gonna be sore.

I think we might be making another hike Thursday.

Maybe.
I'm tired just reading that!
08-31-2021, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #91813
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Les

All manufacturers have shot through ... gone ..... phff

I feel sorry for all the supply companies who are / were world leaders in their field and contracts .... poof gone

All plants for the different car manufacturers where in the black ... Detroit has a lot to answer for.

Dave
Dave,

I've never been to Australia. But I've read the books, seen the videos.

I have been over the years impressed with some of the cars/trucks/utes that came out of Australia, for example at Ford Australia and GM Australia. The V8 powered GM that became the basis for the American police package Caprice....rear wheel drive, powerful LS V8, etc. I saw some of those in either Wyoming or Montana (forget which) around 2015/16 and I tell you, they appeared to be great 'deterrent' highway interceptors. I have seen one (highway patrol car) accelerate at very high speed.... and am very impressed.

Also the Australian sedan racing that had the old Ford/GM rivalry going great guns, on the race track.

These manufacturers (Ford/GM, also Chrysler some years before) came up with very interesting Australian 'interpretations' that produced some novel, unique and very appealing variations.

Japanese makers (Toyota/Nissan) also came up with some very interesting light trucks , which I believe have been modded for the Australian market. Flatbeds, with movable side panels, etc, serious 4WD , powerful turbo diesel, cab and chassis outfits, etc.

I did wish that we got more of these Australian market vehicles over here in North America.

Les
08-31-2021, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #91814
Pentaxian

# 1,

Y'know all those tins, look full of very healthy eating.

I never thought of it, till I looked at your pix, but I'm thinking that some of those products would be good to carry , in our winter emergency kit (duffel bag) , we throw in the back of the SUV, during our short, daily back road and also multi day long driving trips in the winter . Just in case we get stuck in a blizzard and have to set awhile.

Small, stable, tinned seafood packs, probably do well as far as storage, etc., goes in different temps. Lots of energy, easy to prepare and eat.

I'll have to think about this some more.

08-31-2021, 10:15 PM - 3 Likes   #91815
Pentaxian

Survivalist?