Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2021, 10:16 PM   #91816
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Ford still have factories in Australia ?
No-one makes cars in Australia now.

08-31-2021, 10:56 PM   #91817
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Dave,

I've never been to Australia. But I've read the books, seen the videos.

I have been over the years impressed with some of the cars/trucks/utes that came out of Australia, for example at Ford Australia and GM Australia. The V8 powered GM that became the basis for the American police package Caprice....rear wheel drive, powerful LS V8, etc. I saw some of those in either Wyoming or Montana (forget which) around 2015/16 and I tell you, they appeared to be great 'deterrent' highway interceptors. I have seen one (highway patrol car) accelerate at very high speed.... and am very impressed.

Also the Australian sedan racing that had the old Ford/GM rivalry going great guns, on the race track.

These manufacturers (Ford/GM, also Chrysler some years before) came up with very interesting Australian 'interpretations' that produced some novel, unique and very appealing variations.

Japanese makers (Toyota/Nissan) also came up with some very interesting light trucks , which I believe have been modded for the Australian market. Flatbeds, with movable side panels, etc, serious 4WD , powerful turbo diesel, cab and chassis outfits, etc.

I did wish that we got more of these Australian market vehicles over here in North America.

Les
Hi Les

The Police Caprice contract didn't go ahead in Australia , I believe the line with the Monaro line was moved to China.

Just before the closure of the Australian Plants.

Dave
08-31-2021, 10:59 PM - 2 Likes   #91818
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unlike Racer X, my hiking has been 100 percent flat this week. Up and down the nice Sandy beaches of the Oregon coast at Cannon Beach. Up to Ecola Head, down to Tolovana, just strolling along with shoes off and feet in the nice refreshing Pacific Ocean…
08-31-2021, 11:13 PM - 2 Likes   #91819
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Les

The Police Caprice contract didn't go ahead in Australia , I believe the line with the Monaro line was moved to China.

Just before the closure of the Australian Plants.

Dave
I had better say no more for fear of violating one of the forum rules and getting put in the dungeon that Rupert was sent to for a while.

08-31-2021, 11:18 PM - 2 Likes   #91820
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Tim

Nothing political just business , we lost out

On the Hiking front I did a 10 km walk for a charity a couple of weeks ago ... took me 3 days to get over it ... how does that happen I'm not as old as dirt quite yet.

Dave
09-01-2021, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #91821
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m only just back into walking following a tumble over a tree root when I wasn’t looking where I was going, and went down like a sack of potatoes on my left forearm. Didn’t break anything fortunately (except my watch!) but it’s taken a few months to get back to normal.
09-01-2021, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #91822
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Tim

Nothing political just business , we lost out

On the Hiking front I did a 10 km walk for a charity a couple of weeks ago ... took me 3 days to get over it ... how does that happen I'm not as old as dirt quite yet.

Dave
Dave, I did not mean what you said. I meant what I would say if I took it further.

For a couple of weeks I have been having trouble running. i think I over did it a couple of weeks back and hurt the muscles around my knee. Now I can get going for a while and then after 2-3 miles it gets a bit sore and gives me a hard time the next day, leading to alternating rest days. I think I need to strengthen the muscles around the knee. I should talk to my daughter, she knows more abut this kind of thing than me, she is a physio.

09-01-2021, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #91823
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I’m only just back into walking following a tumble over a tree root when I wasn’t looking where I was going, and went down like a sack of potatoes on my left forearm. Didn’t break anything fortunately (except my watch!) but it’s taken a few months to get back to normal.
I think I get the idea, see above.

Hope you rally do get fully back to normal.
09-01-2021, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #91824
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Dave, I did not mean what you said. I meant what I would say if I took it further.

For a couple of weeks I have been having trouble running. i think I over did it a couple of weeks back and hurt the muscles around my knee. Now I can get going for a while and then after 2-3 miles it gets a bit sore and gives me a hard time the next day, leading to alternating rest days. I think I need to strengthen the muscles around the knee. I should talk to my daughter, she knows more abut this kind of thing than me, she is a physio.
Get better Tim
A physio in the family ...... bonus.

Dave
09-01-2021, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #91825
Pentaxian

People keep telling me I am not as young as before. Do they think I have forgotten time is mono-directional?
09-01-2021, 04:50 AM - 3 Likes   #91826
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
My stash of canned seafood is getting a bit large.
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You're quite the sardine connoisseur there #1. So.e tasty looking tins of little fishes.
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Survivalist?
Sardines are a super food, and taste so much better than kale, quinoa, etc.
A friend from Sweden offered to send me some surströmming to complete my stash. I kindly declined.

Dave, I agree, they would make a great emergency food source, just not sure how well the tins would hold up to extreme cold or heat.
09-01-2021, 04:51 AM - 4 Likes   #91827
Veteran Member

I went for a hike this morning, bed to coffee maker to recliner.
09-01-2021, 05:17 AM - 3 Likes   #91828
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I went for a hike this morning, bed to coffee maker to recliner.
That's similar to my routine since my knee replacement 3 weeks ago.
Yesterday I gave driving a try. No problems.
Monday's PT didn't go as well as it had been. The therapist I'd been seeing is very good and knows just where my tolerance threshold is. Monday it was a different one. A very nice young lady with the compassion of the Marquis de Sade.
09-01-2021, 05:51 AM - 2 Likes   #91829
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'm tired just reading that!
My left hip was replaced around 2009 or 2010, after I had complained for nearly 20 years of the pain. After recovery the surgeon ask me if I was ready to have the right one done yet. It felt like a perfectly good hip at the time so I declined. Since then the prosthesis gives me occasional trouble and pain while walking. A couple of consults with the surgeon always resulted in is saying there is no sign of loosening or infection you shouldn't be having any pain.

Great doctor.

Since you say so I must be cured, eh?

Lately the right hip has begun to hurt when walking. Yesterday, about halfway up the mountain it started bothering me. The hike back down was brutal, requiring several stops to give some relief.

Today, I can barely walk.
09-01-2021, 05:56 AM   #91830
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Dave, I agree, they would make a great emergency food source, just not sure how well the tins would hold up to extreme cold or heat.
Any canned goods need to be kept in a cool, dark place. Extremes of temperature aren't good.