Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2021, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #91951
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Today I wept.

I wept for thousands of souls I never knew.

20 years.

WTC towers 1 and 2.

Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

The Pentagon.

Take a moment today to remember those who perished.

Never forget.

Weep for them with me.
I think most of us who are old enough remember exactly where we were when we heard the news. It happened overnight for us, so when we woke up, it was all over the news. Somewhere I have photos of the towers taken from lower Manhattan. I must dig them out.
It was a sad day and a reminder of the wickedness that lives in some people, and the goodness that lives in others.

09-12-2021, 06:45 AM - 3 Likes   #91952
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm barbecuing a 4 bone slab of beef short ribs later today and plan to use some boiling water.
I have a new gadget for maintaining low steady heat, it has a reservoir that holds a quart of boiling water to use as a heat sink and keep the grill interior moist.
It's called the Slow n Sear.

09-12-2021, 07:15 AM - 2 Likes   #91953
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'm barbecuing a 4 bone slab of beef short ribs later today and plan to use some boiling water.
I have a new gadget for maintaining low steady heat, it has a reservoir that holds a quart of boiling water to use as a heat sink and keep the grill interior moist.
So.

You're boiling your meat then?

cheesy
09-12-2021, 07:23 AM - 2 Likes   #91954
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, that's a start.
You'll come around eventually.

09-12-2021, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #91955
Pentaxian

You're boiling your meat then?
No
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You'll come around eventually.
Never.
09-12-2021, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #91956
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I think most of us who are old enough remember exactly where we were when we heard the news.
I was working at the public utility, in vehicle maintenance.

As always, I started each day with a shower. I always turned on the TV and tuned into the local morning news.

The same thing was on every channel.

A view of the first tower, smoke pouring from it.

The talking heads were speculating about why the smoke was pouring from the tower, commenting on phone and e-mail reports of an airplane of some sort.

As I prepared for my day, one eye on the TV, the live news camera trained on the smoking tower, I saw the second plane come into view, and impact the other tower.

I was immediately numb from head to toe, frozen instantly as I had been scooping another spoon of cereal, milk dripping back into the bowl.

Then the tone of the broadcast changed, they began replaying the video of the airliner slamming into the tower, the fuel exploding into a massive cloud of searing fire. Everytime I saw it my body tensed, as if I was there.

I felt the pain of every innocent soul that perished.

Even today, if I see the video it pains me greatly.

That pain turned to a weird numbness that persisted for days, my ears ringing as if I had just endured a loud explosion. Driving to work the radio seemed far away. I don't remember anything else of the 40 minute drive. At work everyone in the shop spent most of the day hovering around the TV in the lunchroom. Talking with other people during the days that followed was also odd, their voices sounding muffled and distant as if I had earplugs in.

It was quite eerie when they grounded all air travel.

Living in a region with such a large aerospace manufacturing presence, the sights and sounds of airplanes flying around is part of the fabric of daily life.

Instantly it was deadly silent.

They weren't even doing engine test run-ups on the flightline at The Big Shed. (the vehicle maintenance shop for the electric utility is across the highway from The Big Shed, and within sight of Paine Field) No news helicopters, executive jets, general aviation, nothing.

Except for the fighter jets that occasionally scrambled from JBLM or NAS Whidbey.

*sigh*

By the next day we were pretty much back to our daily routine, fixing and maintaining utility trucks. There were some supply chain issues when we couldn't get replacement parts that normally came by air and had to come by truck, but we got by.
09-12-2021, 10:40 AM - 4 Likes   #91957
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You've inspired me, Bob. Mrs. P just got back from shopping and brought a big package of "ribs". As I posted before; around here any random pig parts that aren't ham, bacon, or chops are "Country Style Ribs". I've rubbed them and put them in the fridge. I'll put them on to boil in about 4 hours. Mmmm mmmmmmmm!

09-12-2021, 11:57 AM - 2 Likes   #91958
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
As I prepared for my day, one eye on the TV, the live news camera trained on the smoking tower, I saw the second plane come into view, and impact the other tower.

I was immediately numb from head to toe.
At the time I was management of a small rural community bank. The radio was on as usual on top of the cabinets behind the teller line. Shock when the news reports came in. It was a small town, but there was always foot and vehicle traffic passing by the bank. Within 20 minutes the street was empty.

Three months earlier we did our last great family road trip camping vacation with our then older teens. We headed east that year and camped just outside the District of Columbia in Maryland for 3 days, riding the subway or train each day.to tour our capital city. With the instantly enhanced security, I am thankful we were able to see D.C. as it was meant to be seen.

For what it was worth. We had a group of local first responders show up the next day looking for a loan to help cover travel expenses to New York City. Family members were fundraising, but they didn't want to wait for that money to come in before departure. We did the loan immediately. It was repaid within days.
09-12-2021, 02:24 PM - 4 Likes   #91959
Pentaxian

Other sporting events have been er, exciting – especially in the bumper cars formally known as Formula One Grand Prix. Still, it was good to see Ricciardo's cheery grin on the podium again.

09-12-2021, 07:20 PM   #91960
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Other sporting events have been er, exciting especially in the bumper cars formally known as Formula One Grand Prix. Still, it was good to see Ricciardo's cheery grin on the podium again.
I saw that. Awesome camera work, the slow-mo replays most enjoyable.
09-12-2021, 09:40 PM - 2 Likes   #91961
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In real sporting news, Melbourne Football Club are lining up on Saturday week for a crack at their first premiership for 57 (that’s right, 57) years. I had just left school when they won in 1964.
09-12-2021, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #91962
Pentaxian

There’s a Scottish football team used to be the butt of a joke: I listened to the results on the radio so often I thought there was a team called Partick Thistle Nil.
09-13-2021, 01:16 AM   #91963
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Melbourne weren't that bad!!!
They won 12 premierships between 1900 and 1964.
They have just had a bad run (lately!)
09-14-2021, 03:02 AM   #91964
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

25 hours and no new posts.
What is going on?
Is the life gone from the thread?
Are you all frantic for Melbourne to win the flag after 57 years?
09-14-2021, 03:24 AM - 2 Likes   #91965
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
25 hours and no new posts.
What is going on?
Is the life gone from the thread?
Are you all frantic for Melbourne to win the flag after 57 years?
Busy building freighters and tankers.

Oh, look!

Its time to hop in the pickup and head to the city for another busy day at The Big Shed!

Bye.