Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108794 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2021, 11:51 AM - 3 Likes   #92071
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Good pick.

Of course, some cannibals may be made of alumni, too.
A cannibal was invited to a cannibals' feast, but got held up an hour. "You're too late," he was told, "everybody's eaten."

09-19-2021, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #92072
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yes, I don't even plan on splitting the case and removing the reciprocal assembly. The cylinders don't have any scoring, the original cross hatch still looking new. New hoses and timing drive pulleys. Button it up and try for another 200,000 miles.
Modern gas engines seem pretty durable now. Think some of it maybe due to fuel injection, better oil (synthetic -better flowing in cold starts, etc.), tight computer control that keeps engine settings-set, and manufacturing practices.

A friend of mine who has both his gas engine and heavy duty diesel mechanic licenses, told me that the federal emissions regulation , in his opinion, has made a difference...as manufacturers are required to make engines that run well, in order to be able to meet emission standards for a number of years / miles.

I recall back in the 1960's/' 70's that stores like Canadian Tire, Sear's, etc. used to sell rebuilt gas engines of popular makes in their catalogues. And back before this era, it wasn't uncommon to get a valve job or an engine 'rebuild' .

Your Subaru engine is probably typical of many modern gas engines, of different makes. As long as you follow manufacturer service requirements, getting 200,000 miles out of a gas engine, or much more, is not uncommon.

Your assessment of the condition of the engine from your Subaru, as per your quote (see below) , is indicative of how long a modern engine can last nowadays.

"I don't even plan on splitting the case and removing the reciprocal assembly. The cylinders don't have any scoring, the original cross hatch still looking new. New hoses and timing drive pulleys. Button it up and try for another 200,000 miles. "

I'm pretty sure you will reach that additional 200,000 miles maybe more, on the mechanical components of your car. Nowadays it can be body rust, electronic components, etc...that spell doom for a vehicle, but not the mechanical components.
09-19-2021, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #92073
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
A cannibal was invited to a cannibals' feast, but got held up an hour. "You're too late," he was told, "everybody's eaten."
A cannibal would have a high incentive to bring a dish, not just a plate, when invited to dinner.
09-19-2021, 01:16 PM   #92074
Pentaxian

I have some American neighbours. They are already preparing for pumpkin night by setting a couple of pumpkins on the table in their front yard to ripen.

09-19-2021, 01:28 PM - 3 Likes   #92075
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wouldn’t make any difference to its appeal however ya cook it, compared to real turkey.
I think the fake turkey is better myself.

---------- Post added 09-19-21 at 04:30 PM ----------

Two cannibals have a clown in the big pot. One takes a sip of the broth and says to the other "Does this taste funny to you?"
09-19-2021, 02:18 PM   #92076
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I have some American neighbours. They are already preparing for pumpkin night by setting a couple of pumpkins on the table in their front yard to ripen.
A bit early, yes. They are already showing Halloween ads on the TV here. Next week they will start showing Christmas ads.

The commercialization of holidays sucks.

Don't y'all celebrate All Hallow's Eve there?
09-19-2021, 02:35 PM - 2 Likes   #92077
dbs
Pentaxian

Stoopit spellchecker.
Hi Racer

A dictionary and using a bit more grey matter that's all you need.

Anyway its hard to read " american " sometimes will all the letters. left out .

Dave

09-19-2021, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #92078
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A bit early, yes. They are already showing Halloween ads on the TV here. Next week they will start showing Christmas ads.

The commercialization of holidays sucks.

Don't y'all celebrate All Hallow's Eve there?
The shops try to force it on us but we still have bonfire night a week or so later

Last edited by slartibartfast01; 09-19-2021 at 03:00 PM.
09-19-2021, 02:59 PM - 5 Likes   #92079
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Modern gas engines seem pretty durable now. Think some of it maybe due to fuel injection, better oil (synthetic -better flowing in cold starts, etc.), tight computer control that keeps engine settings-set, and manufacturing practices.

A friend of mine who has both his gas engine and heavy duty diesel mechanic licenses, told me that the federal emissions regulation , in his opinion, has made a difference...as manufacturers are required to make engines that run well, in order to be able to meet emission standards for a number of years / miles.

I recall back in the 1960's/' 70's that stores like Canadian Tire, Sear's, etc. used to sell rebuilt gas engines of popular makes in their catalogues. And back before this era, it wasn't uncommon to get a valve job or an engine 'rebuild' .

Your Subaru engine is probably typical of many modern gas engines, of different makes. As long as you follow manufacturer service requirements, getting 200,000 miles out of a gas engine, or much more, is not uncommon.

Your assessment of the condition of the engine from your Subaru, as per your quote (see below) , is indicative of how long a modern engine can last nowadays.

"I don't even plan on splitting the case and removing the reciprocal assembly. The cylinders don't have any scoring, the original cross hatch still looking new. New hoses and timing drive pulleys. Button it up and try for another 200,000 miles. "

I'm pretty sure you will reach that additional 200,000 miles maybe more, on the mechanical components of your car. Nowadays it can be body rust, electronic components, etc...that spell doom for a vehicle, but not the mechanical components.
The damage to the pistons was minimal. The marks were made by the exhaust valves. The intake valves didn't hit the pistons that I can see, so they must have collided with the exhaust valves. I'll take a hard roll on one of my die grinders and smooth it up a bit, and move on.

On this one you can't even see where the valve contact was.

Just finished cutting the exhaust valve seats on the left head, then a final check of the fit and contact position.

One each of the original exhaust and intake valves.

09-19-2021, 04:18 PM - 2 Likes   #92080
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe it's time for a cam chain conversion.
09-19-2021, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #92081
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Maybe it's time for a cam chain conversion.
I wish it was possible.

The 3 liter 6 cylinder they offered that year in the Outback had chain driven cams. But swapping over to it would entail much more work than fixing this engine and endeavoring to be more vigilant with the timing belt going forward.
09-19-2021, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #92082
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fascinating license plate information Rod. I have been a plate collector since my teens when I got a dealer plate. Discovered ALPCA, the Automobile License Plate Collector’s Association about 24 years ago, and joined. Membership numbers are sequential, the first member given number 1. I am 8426.

Haven’t checked recently but the membership numbers are into six digits now, with members on all continents. I have made connections with members the world over, traded plates and some members have even gifted me plates.

My favorites are the personalized plates issued in some jurisdictions, the myriad graphic plates that have become quite common since the advent of inkjet printing, government, municipal and law enforcement plates, foreign plates, especially the difficult to obtain ones, and plates like the one on Tim’s car that can suggest a funny or interesting word or phrase.
Cool. I'd be happy to trade some plates. I'll let you know what I have.

In the mean time..
In South Africa, under the old government, there were 4 provinces: Cape Province (all plates started with C and one or more other letter), Natal (N and another letter(s)), Orange Free State (O etc) and Transvaal (T etc).
The Cape Province used CA for Cape Town (the capital city) and CB for Port Elizabeth (the second largest city) and so on. So, as kids, when on a road trip, the game would be who could shout out the town the car was from first, as virtually every town had their own plates.

Now, it was customary for each city / town to have the number 1 as the Mayor's car. So, Bellville's Mayoral car would be CY1, Port Elizabeth's CB1, and so forth, but Cape Town was different. See, Cape Town's CA1 was not the mayor's number but belonged to the first car every registered in Cape Town and the registration has never lapsed. There have been many attempts to get the owner to relinquish the plate at offers of considerable sums, but no.
09-19-2021, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #92083
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wish it was possible.

The 3 liter 6 cylinder they offered that year in the Outback had chain driven cams. But swapping over to it would entail much more work than fixing this engine and endeavoring to be more vigilant with the timing belt going forward.
Drat.
09-19-2021, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #92084
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Drat.
I could do like one guy in the States did. He adapted a small domestic aluminium V6, Buick or Oldsmobile I can't recall which. Built an adaptor to the Subaru bell housing, retaining the all wheel drive. I think it was from one of those domestic front engine front wheel drive abominations that became the automotive norm in the 1980s.

Still, a lot of work. Custom exhaust, fabricated motor mounts, working out how to give the Subaru engine computer what it needs so the check engine light doesn't come on and stay on.

*sigh*

Yeah, maybe in another life, eh?

I just about have the left head ready for final cleaning and reassembly. Wasn't going to recut the intake valve seats, the contact pattern was perfect. But when I wiped the dykem off I noticed some pitting. So I adjusted the cutters for the larger diameter seats and did one real quick before calling it a day.

Eleven more to go.

Seven intake, four exhaust.
09-19-2021, 06:50 PM - 2 Likes   #92085
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As we would say here: She's a big job.

« AF1 vs AF2 | - »