Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2021, 12:55 AM - 3 Likes   #92221
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Only problem

The US gallon is 18 % smaller ..........

09-29-2021, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #92222
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
A brand spanking new one, without a load, will manage at best 14mpg in town or 18mpg on the open road, so I'd say your mate is telling porkies.
You're right and that's about what I get with my 2019 1 ton without the 2,000 lb camper on it; however..........
There's a lot more pollution control "stuff" on the newer ones and the engine tune is not optimal. You'd be surprised what the Cummins diesels are capable of power and efficiency wise just by adding a tuner. If his buddy is running a tuner and has deleted (removed the DPF, EGR, etc) I still wouldn't believe 23mpg towing, but I'd believe 18 towing and 23 empty.

Last edited by Parallax; 09-29-2021 at 05:22 AM.
09-29-2021, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #92223
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If his buddy is running a tuner and has deleted (removed the DPF, EGR, etc) I still wouldn't believe 23mpg towing, but I'd believe 18 towing and 23 empty.
In 2001 they didn’t have a DPF, EGR, SCR. They even still had an open crankcase. The vent is on the front gear case cover, and the puke bottle mounted to the front cover. The engine cooling fan blows the oily vapors everywhere, making a big mess.

The hot tip is to get some fabric reinforced vinyl hose (about 8 feet) and relocate it just ahead of the fuel tank on the frame rail. Then the oil vapors coat the frame and underside of the bodywork, reducing the possibility of rust.
09-29-2021, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #92224
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Only problem

In the old days, prior to metrification in Canada, we used to convert US MPG to Canadian (British Imperial measurement) by just rounding off the 18 % difference to 20 %.

Close enough for government work and most Canucks.

I grew up to young adulthood, being taught the British Imperial measurement....inches, feet, yards, ounces, pints, quarts, gallons etc. Then of course, the decision was made to go metric. I can work in both systems, but still do feel more comfortable using the old Imperial system of measurement and a lot of times convert metric measurement to Imperial, in my head.

1000cc is one liter, one liter (or litre) is 61 cubic inches. Etc.

Funny thing is that the construction/ lumber/hardware biz still use Imperial measurement a lot.

But I have found as a result of all these different systems of measurement...I have three separate wrench/socket sets.... groups of tools. Metric, inch and Whitworth. Whitworth for my old English made motorcycle twin.

Fortunately the tools I use most...are my hammers. So far no metrification needed with these.

09-29-2021, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #92225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Only problem

..... resulting in about 22% better mpg figures when using real gallons. My sympathies to those using US measure.
09-29-2021, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #92226
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're right and that's about what I get with my 2019 1 ton without the 2,000 lb camper on it; however..........
There's a lot more pollution control "stuff" on the newer ones and the engine tune is not optimal. You'd be surprised what the Cummins diesels are capable of power and efficiency wise just by adding a tuner. If his buddy is running a tuner and has deleted (removed the DPF, EGR, etc) I still wouldn't believe 23mpg towing, but I'd believe 18 towing and 23 empty.
That's a real "purty" truck Jim!
09-29-2021, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #92227
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a real "purty" truck Jim!
Thanks, Mark. When I got it 2 years ago I decided to quit compromising on bed length, cab length, gas vs diesel, cargo capacity, etc., etc., etc. I went all out. If it will fit in the bed I can haul it, if I can hook onto it I can tow it.
I had initially intended to go with a gasser instead of a diesel simply due to the extra (nearly) $10,000.00 for the diesel. Then I found out that trade in value around here of a one ton diesel is more than $10,000.00 more than the same truck with gas so in the long run the diesel is actually cheaper. The extra mileage offsets the added maintenance costs.
Besides all that I get a thrill being able to accelerate a 10,500 lb truck/camper (still 3,000 lbs below GVWR) up a 6% grade without it even dropping down a gear from top overdrive.
A diesel is a bit of a pain in the Winter in this climate but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment because this is my 4th one.

09-29-2021, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #92228
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Mark. When I got it 2 years ago I decided to quit compromising on bed length, cab length, gas vs diesel, cargo capacity, etc., etc., etc. I went all out. If it will fit in the bed I can haul it, if I can hook onto it I can tow it.
I had initially intended to go with a gasser instead of a diesel simply due to the extra (nearly) $10,000.00 for the diesel. Then I found out that trade in value around here of a one ton diesel is more than $10,000.00 more than the same truck with gas so in the long run the diesel is actually cheaper. The extra mileage offsets the added maintenance costs.
Besides all that I get a thrill being able to accelerate a 10,500 lb truck/camper (still 3,000 lbs below GVWR) up a 6% grade without it even dropping down a gear from top overdrive.
A diesel is a bit of a pain in the Winter in this climate but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment because this is my 4th one.
I wish we had more truck / ute options here. Any USA full size pickup costs about two children and five kidneys and perhaps a few corneas and virtually everything else is Diesel only, no petrol options, and 2.2 to 3.2 litre engines only.
A reasonably equipped Ford Ranger double-cab (what you call a crew-cab) is at least $65,000 and only comes with a short bed. There are no long bed options.
Compare Ford Ranger Models, Prices, Specs & Features | Ford New Zealand

At what temperature does Diesel become a problem?
09-29-2021, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #92229
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Untreated #2 can become problematic around 25F. Treated might, if you believe the treatment manufacturer, get you down to 10 or so. A 50/50 mix of #2 and #1 should get you to about -20. Straight #1 should run at any temp as there is little or no paraffin in it.
Being the anal retentive/obsessive compulsive that I am I treat AND run a blend once I see morning frost. I prefer to go to a station that has both #1 and #2 so I can blend it myself and know what I'm getting. There are a few stations that let you select the percentage of #1 that you want but none here in Hooterville. For most of the Winter I run 50/50 so I estimate the amount it's going to take, put in half that amount of #1 then add #2 in an equal amount or until full, whichever occurs first. If it's particularly cold I'll go to about 75% #1.
Yes, it's a bit fiddly but it's a labor of love.
09-29-2021, 03:01 PM   #92230
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Luckily it never gets that cold here by us. No wonder we can only buy one type of Diesel.
09-29-2021, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #92231
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Luckily it never gets that cold here by us. No wonder we can only buy one type of Diesel.
Nothing wrong with that. #2 has a higher BTU rating than #1. MPG on straight #1 can be 20-30% less than #2.

Here, #1 is about 50 cents a gallon more than #2. That's not a big factor for me in running a blend vs straight #1 but I've been told that Straight #1 isn't good for the engine in warm weather and around here we could be below zero one day and 60 degrees the next at some times of the year.
With regard to weather, this place is an absolute paradise. (I'm not sure; did my sarcasm come through there?)
09-29-2021, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #92232
Pentaxian

I wish we had more truck / ute options here. Any USA full size pickup costs about two children and five kidneys and perhaps a few corneas and virtually everything else is Diesel only, no petrol options, and 2.2 to 3.2 litre engines only.
A reasonably equipped Ford Ranger double-cab (what you call a crew-cab) is at least $65,000 and only comes with a short bed. There are no long bed options.
Compare Ford Ranger Models, Prices, Specs & Features | Ford New Zealand

I don't know the NZ truck market well.

I have seen, mostly on some Australian TV shows about goldminers in the outback, farmers/ranchers etc., that they have some smaller, light trucks that have 4WD and flatbed...that can convert to pickups by flipping up side panels. That is a versatility that appeals to me.

The trucks appear to be fairly rugged, have I think generally 4 cylinder turbo diesels of around 2.8-3 liter capacity, and seem to be made by Toyota and Nissan for the most part. The cabs look to me to be modernized versions of the old Toyota FJ or Nissan Patrol style.

Don't know if these are marketed in the NZ market.
09-29-2021, 04:00 PM - 3 Likes   #92233
Veteran Member

Speaking of petrol, hope the Brits get theirs delivered soon. I'll bet EVs are a hot item there right now.
No more than I travel, a tank will last me over a month. Around here Costco is usually the cheapest, currently $2.65 per gallon.

Chinese carryout for #1 and his main squeeze tonight.
BACON!!
09-29-2021, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #92234
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Chinese carryout for #1 and his main squeeze tonight.
I love Chinese. Sesame beef in particular.
In Carthage, MO there's a Chinese buffet which I WILL NOT pass up when we're there.
09-29-2021, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #92235
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I don't know the NZ truck market well.

I have seen, mostly on some Australian TV shows about goldminers in the outback, farmers/ranchers etc., that they have some smaller, light trucks that have 4WD and flatbed...that can convert to pickups by flipping up side panels. That is a versatility that appeals to me.

The trucks appear to be fairly rugged, have I think generally 4 cylinder turbo diesels of around 2.8-3 liter capacity, and seem to be made by Toyota and Nissan for the most part. The cabs look to me to be modernized versions of the old Toyota FJ or Nissan Patrol style.

Don't know if these are marketed in the NZ market.
Same thing here. You can buy utes with or without the truck bed and elect to have your own aftermarket bed fitted. That flatbed style with drop-down sides is very popular amongst farmers.
See: Ford Ranger - 4WD XL Single Cab Chassis Cab | Ford New Zealand and Ford Ranger - 4WD XL Double Cab Chassis Cab | Ford New Zealand

All manufacturers offer the utes with or without a bed so you'll see Toyotas, Fords, Mitsubishis, Isuzus, etc. Even the Chinese made Great Wall utes.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »