Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108806 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2021, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #92536
Pentaxian

Read this recently published article on Mark Jerling's favourite car.

The '57 Ford.

https://linkst.hemmings.com/click/25312093.30691/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaGVtbWluZ3M...dff4bC91430af6

10-13-2021, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #92537
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting Les. She's a beauty. Custom Tudor with factory air and no radio. Interesting mix of base model and then you go WHAT THE HELL when you look under the hood!
I love it.
10-13-2021, 07:39 PM   #92538
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
For me it has always been Mrs Rod.
For me its always been Mrs. Racer.

So far only two versions, Mrs. Racer 1.0, then the upgrade to Mrs. Racer 2.0. the second version has endured and not required an upgrade.

............................................................................................................................................................................... Yet.
10-13-2021, 07:44 PM - 3 Likes   #92539
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Read this recently published article on Mark Jerling's favourite car.

The '57 Ford.

https://linkst.hemmings.com/click/25312093.30691/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaGVtbWluZ3M...dff4bC91430af6
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Thanks for posting Les. She's a beauty. Custom Tudor with factory air and no radio. Interesting mix of base model and then you go WHAT THE HELL when you look under the hood!
I love it.
From the first paragraph in the article:

QuoteQuote:
When a car has been in your household longer than you’ve been alive, it says a couple of things—both about the car, and about your household. It says that car means something to the owner. It means that memories were made in that car.
Memories means babies were made in the back seat.

10-13-2021, 08:04 PM - 3 Likes   #92540
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
From the first paragraph in the article:

Memories means babies were made in the back seat.
Truth be told, the front seat is far more comfortable and more generously sized.
10-13-2021, 09:10 PM - 2 Likes   #92541
Pentaxian

I love it.

You're welcome. I enjoyed it too, and as you know I'm a Chevy guy.

With factory area and radio delete, with the rare, most powerful engine you could order on a base '57 Ford, well it all makes me wonder.

Was this car originally ordered or built for a more southern state, then a northern state. Also why would you want a stripper model, just with the supercharged engine and air conditioning of all things. And as the article said this car never had any letters on it. By that I assume letters would only be put on a car used for competition, back then usually stock car racing or drag racing.

According to the article, if I recall correctly, a Ford dealer ordered the car for his 19 year old son, then had second thoughts about safety for his son, when he realized how fast this car would be.

Being that he was a Ford dealer, I would think that FoMoCo could of contacted some of their dealers (perhaps this guy) about a car like this, that wasn't always easy to move. Air conditioning back in the '50's was very uncommon.

Now, I'm not saying that perhaps this car was originally factory ordered by a southern Moonshiner who both liked his 'old comfort', but liked to run it and keep himself comfortable with the AC.

Think they only made 100 of them, and I bet the great majority of this 100, were just complete stripper base Fords, with radio delete, possibly heater delete. They were the basis for race cars that had to be homologated, in order to be used on race tracks...as a 'production' car. kind of like Plymouth and Dodge with the 426 Hemi, when it first came out in '64. Complaints were made that the 426 Hemi was a pure race car, not a production car. As I understand it, Bill France of NASCAR then decreed, that Chrysler had to make a number of 'street' 426 Hemis, in order to race the 426 as a production car. And after the France decree, Chrysler cranked out a number of streetable 426 Hemi cars.

I'm just guessing, but it is fun to speculate.
10-13-2021, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #92542
Pentaxian

Truth be told, the front seat is far more comfortable and more generously sized.
Or maybe, just get one of those old Ramblers where the front seats would fold down completely.

Or so I've been told.

10-14-2021, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #92543
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With factory area and radio delete, with the rare, most powerful engine you could order on a base '57 Ford, well it all makes me wonder.

Was this car originally ordered or built for a more southern state, then a northern state. Also why would you want a stripper model, just with the supercharged engine and air conditioning of all things. And as the article said this car never had any letters on it. By that I assume letters would only be put on a car used for competition, back then usually stock car racing or drag racing.

According to the article, if I recall correctly, a Ford dealer ordered the car for his 19 year old son, then had second thoughts about safety for his son, when he realized how fast this car would be.

Being that he was a Ford dealer, I would think that FoMoCo could of contacted some of their dealers (perhaps this guy) about a car like this, that wasn't always easy to move. Air conditioning back in the '50's was very uncommon.

Now, I'm not saying that perhaps this car was originally factory ordered by a southern Moonshiner who both liked his 'old comfort', but liked to run it and keep himself comfortable with the AC.

Think they only made 100 of them, and I bet the great majority of this 100, were just complete stripper base Fords, with radio delete, possibly heater delete. They were the basis for race cars that had to be homologated, in order to be used on race tracks...as a 'production' car. kind of like Plymouth and Dodge with the 426 Hemi, when it first came out in '64. Complaints were made that the 426 Hemi was a pure race car, not a production car. As I understand it, Bill France of NASCAR then decreed, that Chrysler had to make a number of 'street' 426 Hemis, in order to race the 426 as a production car. And after the France decree, Chrysler cranked out a number of streetable 426 Hemi cars.

All the conveniences started changing after '55 when most cars changed over from 6V systems to 12V systems. All of a sudden, it was easier to power stuff. Of course, aircon was belt driven, but the fans etc were electric. The most interesting feature I ever saw in a car was underfloor heating in a (46 or 47 if I remember correctly) Cadillac. By the mid 50's, Caddie was doing electric windows and by the late 50's they had automatically dimming headlights, two memory electric front seat adjustment and separate aircon front and back.

But, a base model Ford was, of course, another kettle of fish altogether. I think it would have been difficult to put a bespoke car like that on order had you not been a dealer or a dealer's best mate.
10-14-2021, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #92544
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

All the conveniences started changing after '55 when most cars changed over from 6V systems to 12V systems. All of a sudden, it was easier to power stuff. Of course, aircon was belt driven, but the fans etc were electric. The most interesting feature I ever saw in a car was underfloor heating in a (46 or 47 if I remember correctly) Cadillac. By the mid 50's, Caddie was doing electric windows and by the late 50's they had automatically dimming headlights, two memory electric front seat adjustment and separate aircon front and back.

But, a base model Ford was, of course, another kettle of fish altogether. I think it would have been difficult to put a bespoke car like that on order had you not been a dealer or a dealer's best mate.
It is called homologation.

Again, from the article:

QuoteQuote:
In 1957, NASCAR’s horsepower wars were on: While Chevrolet fiddled with fuel injection, Ford tried supercharging as a way to achieve maximum power and speed. Homologation requirements at the time meant just 100 production cars with the engine in question had to be built.
This isn't peculiar to NASCAR, many sanctioning bodies have homologation rules requiring cars presented for competition have origin based on production models available to the general public.
10-14-2021, 03:13 AM - 2 Likes   #92545
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh I know. And I grew up riding and driving these older, large American automobiles. Most went to the back seat to avoid getting tangled up in the steering wheel.

But.

I read once that the steering wheel of a 1962 Corvette was thought to be an aphrodisiac. If one could get his girl in such a position that the wheel rim rubbed her lower back, the magic would happen.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 10-15-2021 at 03:05 AM.
10-14-2021, 10:12 AM   #92546
Pentaxian

This morning I was thinking of my favourite snack food. Would it be Lay's low salt potato chips or is it Old Dutch Cheese Pleesers ?

Lately I think I lean towards Cheese Pleesers as according to Old Dutch they are 'smothered with a special blend of cheddar and roman cheese flavourings '.

I don't eat a lot of either one, just every so often as a treat.

What's your favourite snack, or do you have one ?

I bet # 1 might make his own, as he seems culinarily gifted, from what I've seen in pics and descriptors in this forum.
10-14-2021, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #92547
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Oh I know. And grew up riding and driving these older, large American automobiles. Most went to the back seat to avoid getting tangled up in the steering wheel.

But.

I read once that the steering wheel of a 1962 Corvette was thought to be an aphrodisiac. If one could get his girl in such a position that the wheel rim rubbed her lower back, the magic would happen.
When I was about 28, I took a '62 Corvette for a spin, as I was considering buying it. It was going for $ 5000 CAD and a Canuck friend of mine had bought it in California, a couple months previously . It ran fine, had lots of power in it's 327, 4 barrel carb engine, handled, braked well. In fact he had driven it back from California to the prairies after he bought it.

When I was 28 I was about 190 pounds and could fit between the wheels, but now I figure I couldn't fit behind the steering wheel of a '62 Corvette...even just by myself.
10-14-2021, 10:38 AM - 2 Likes   #92548
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any kind of pickled or smoked mollusk or fish.
Ritz crackers run a close second.
10-14-2021, 11:11 AM - 5 Likes   #92549
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

10-14-2021, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #92550
Pentaxian

My favourite snack?

Probably fake "no name" creamsicles. Only 60 calories and somewhat thirst quenching.