Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2021, 04:52 AM - 2 Likes   #92656
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just can't keep this thread steered away from car/truck talk.
Got back on a cheese roll for just a bit.

10-17-2021, 05:52 AM - 6 Likes   #92657
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

You're right, Bob. We need to steer it in a different direction.
Attached Images

10-17-2021, 06:16 AM - 5 Likes   #92658
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I have decided to steer us back to the world of computing. Below is a video showing the restoration of an International Business Machine (IBM) Computing Cheese Cutter. An absolutely ingenious device. Start to see the condition and then skip to the 41 minute mark or so to see it in operation if you do not have time to watch the complete restoration process.

Last edited by gaweidert; 10-17-2021 at 09:45 AM.
10-17-2021, 07:29 AM - 2 Likes   #92659
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Well depending on the engine...it could be a Yikes !
There isn't any oil to change - or even an engine at that

10-17-2021, 07:35 AM - 4 Likes   #92660
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
10-17-2021, 07:41 AM   #92661
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
On every service invoice for my diesel car is another item, flushing oil. So they don’t just drain and refill with new filters, they clean it out too. Over a hundred thousand miles and it still runs tight and clean.

The works vehicle has a 22,000 mile service interval and I dread the likely costs etc down the line.

Flushing the oil out after a drain. Haven't done that since I had my old Czechoslovakian 2 stroke CZ motorcycles in the mid '60's. The CZ owner's manual indicated that after I changed the gearbox oil , I was to fill the gearbox up again with kerosene,, ride around at slow engine speeds for about 10 minutes, then come back to my garage, drain the kerosene and refill the gearbox with gear oil.
10-17-2021, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #92662
Pentaxian

Can you imagine what the streets of St. Louis...or any city were like, before cars, when mostly all transportation and cargo moving was done by the horse.

Didn't Budweiser use about 6 large dray, Clydesdales to move their beer barrels to different bars ? The streets must of been P.H.D. Now that's pollution , not to mention tremendous methane production.

10-17-2021, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #92663
Pentaxian

An EV...or a horse....or just a beater on blocks ?
10-17-2021, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #92664
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Seattlites call the umbrella a bumbershoot.

My observation is that most natives and transplants that have lived in the area a very long time (like me) rarely use one. One becomes oblivious to the rain, it falls on the shoulders much like the sunshine and snow.

I own a few, but have used them more for shade when sitting on pregrid in my racecar than to keep the rain off. In fact I use them so they infrequently that I have never worn one out.
If I had ever lived in a rainy area, like Vancouver, I would of liked to have one of those British rain jackets...you see country gentleman wear in British films. Now I'm neither a gentleman or live in the rural parts, but I think when it comes to style, that would be my choice.

As it is, I leave my 30 year old Helly-Hansen rain jacket in the SUV, and have about a 10 year old Cabela's rain jacket....that's my good one.... at home. We don't get a lot of rain, but both jackets have proved to be up to it, in a heavy downpour. The Cabela jacket has a hoodie, which is designed for the wearer to a ball cap on, and the hoodie has a drip feature, which directs the water away from one's face. Good design, and no need for a bumbershoot.
10-17-2021, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #92665
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You're right, Bob. We need to steer it in a different direction.

That steer would be hard to get into...or out of, a stock trailer.
10-17-2021, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #92666
Veteran Member

Can you imagine what the streets of St. Louis...or any city were like, before cars, when mostly all transportation and cargo moving was done by the horse.
I think they had manure wagons for picking up the road apples.
Don't remember where I got it, but I had a St Louis manure wagon tag or plate and gave it to a coworker that collected license plates etc.
10-17-2021, 11:40 AM - 2 Likes   #92667
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I think they had manure wagons for picking up the road apples.
Don't remember where I got it, but I had a St Louis manure wagon tag or plate and gave it to a coworker that collected license plates etc.
You're right Rob.

Manure wagons, guys with brooms, shovels, pails and wagons were in most North American cities and towns, but I bet they were very busy and didn't always get to the tons of manure on streets, in a timely enough fashion for some citizens.

Our two main streets, Portage and Main are wide...each four lanes wide. My understanding is that these two early streets in my burg are built on prairie gumbo (like most of the Peg, except for the reclaimed swamp land) and in the spring or after a hard rain, the dirt roads that passed as streets in the 1860's....were impassable under these conditions. So carts, wagons and the Red River cart ( a big 2 wheeler, used for carrying Buffalo hides) with two enormous wheels....used to drive around the main single dirt track.....until the streets widened to about 4 muddy tracks wide on each street.

I would say that the muddy paths, that passed for streets up here, back then, were a mixture of 3 parts prairie gumbo, 1 part horse manure and 1 part Oxen crap.

We don't have any more horse manure on the streets, but we still do in city hall though.
10-17-2021, 01:59 PM - 5 Likes   #92668
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Say no more!

10-17-2021, 03:22 PM - 2 Likes   #92669
Veteran Member

Baby back ribs for dinner.
Wood smoked with charcoal, no boiling.

10-17-2021, 05:05 PM - 4 Likes   #92670
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country

Didn't Budweiser use about 6 large dray, Clydesdales to move their beer barrels to different bars ? The streets must of been P.H.D. Now that's pollution , not to mention tremendous methane production.
In 2006 (that's correct, this century) we visited Montevideo, Uruguay (the national capital for those unfamiliar with this South American country). It is a very modern city; modern cars on well paved streets, cell phones in evidence everywhere, you get the idea. Daily trash pickup from downtown businesses was still performed by horse & cart.
Attached Images