Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2021, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #92836
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Those look more like what we would call crackers, but are thicker than ours.

The oatmeal cookies #1 posted earlier are sweet, and over there you would call them a biscuit.

But me?

This is a biscuit.

Cheese might still work. Digestives are sweet.

10-24-2021, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #92837
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
You and your older women. It's hard to believe, but Raquel turned 81 last month.
They are the women of my formative years, when what my phsyce was developing what the ideal woman is.

I actually lean toward less buxom women (a 34b is perfection), and shorter, almost always under 5' 5".

Ms Welch was a bit of an exception, especially in her younger years.

Oh, and she is still a tasty biscuit at 80.

Probably has a real good cosmetic surgeon.
10-24-2021, 02:57 PM   #92838
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
True.

An artist friend of ours has an open house occasionally, and her husband, a chef, places hourderves and snacks around. Grapes, soft cheeses, toasted baugette with olive oil, crackers, sliced cheddar and Swiss cheese, salamis and pepperoni.

A nice bit of sweet and savory stuff to nibble on while having wine or beer, socializing and perusing her art.

She had a website, myswirlybrain.com, but I think she let it go.

Some of her work.

She uses various media, often salvaging things in the process. She found a bunch of offcuts at a sheet metal shop once, so the squares (and other odd shapes) were used as canvasses, and some bits of lath hotglued to the back to make a sort of standoff fromnthe wall. She paints with acrylics, sometimes adding stuff she has found that others cast off to the rubbish bin. When we finished our home, I dismantled the single wide mobile home we had been living in, and gave her the plastic buttons that were holding the ceiling panels up. She has used them in numerous paintings, a couple of which hang in our home.

Over the years her style has become more three dimensional.

She has painted every light switch and outlet cover in her house, as well as the mantle and hearty over and around her fireplace. She got a few cast off bowling balls and painted them as earth as her swirly brain sees it, and various planets of the solar system.

Most of her work includes pets she has had as well as current pets, dogs and cats. She has a fascination with generous breasts, although she herself is more cupcake sized. Several 3d pieces adorn the walls of her home, mostly just a single breast, positioned so it is at eye level as you top the stairs or round a corner. She spent time living and touring in the Mediterranean, and lived for a while in Egypt, studying art, which shows in her work.

She recently tried a process called encaustic, using many layers of different colored wax, with sequins, glitter and other bits, and carving a scene into the layers of wax like drawing or painting. Fascinating process, requiring planning and a conceptual idea before pouring the layers of wax.
10-24-2021, 03:27 PM   #92839
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
My dear chaps, the simply best oatcakes ever are from the island of Arran in my humble opinion. You can buy them online, but something has happened to the vendor (probably been over-sampling the new distillery's products) and they are only selling them in packs of 12 cartons. Which is rather a lot of oatcakes, or the delectable Oaties shown (mini oatcakes), if one merely wishes to try a couple.

Topped with Strathdon Blue* cheese they are quite sensational.

Look lovely.

But up to this time before I read your post, I always thought...Wooleys...were something I'd wear under my pants when the mercury plunged to -35 in the winter.

10-24-2021, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #92840
Pentaxian

One of my favourite cookies in my younger years were Peek Freans Digestives. I like the basis biscuit, but also was partial to a PF (Peek Freans, not Pentax Forum ) digestive topped with a delicious coating of chocolate.

Now some say the Brits cannot cook or bake, that good European cooking/baking is the province of the French and Italians...but I beg to differ.

When it comes to making biscuits or cookies...it is hard to beat the Brits...both Scots with their Walker Scottish Shortbread and the English...Peaks Frean Digestives.

As the character, Mrs. Slocum said in the English TV comedy show, Are You Being Served '...'I am anonymous on this.'

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...sxsfq_Ex24vcb3
10-24-2021, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #92841
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Look lovely.

But up to this time before I read your post, I always thought...Wooleys...were something I'd wear under my pants when the mercury plunged to -35 in the winter.
Oh dear, Canuckian spelling. And aren’t woolly garments a bit itchy worn below one’s underwear?
10-24-2021, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #92842
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
One of my favourite cookies in my younger years were Peek Freans Digestives. I like the basis biscuit, but also was partial to a PF (Peek Freans, not Pentax Forum ) digestive topped with a delicious coating of chocolate.

Now some say the Brits cannot cook or bake, that good European cooking/baking is the province of the French and Italians...but I beg to differ.

When it comes to making biscuits or cookies...it is hard to beat the Brits...both Scots with their Walker Scottish Shortbread and the English...Peaks Frean Digestives.

As the character, Mrs. Slocum said in the English TV comedy show, Are You Being Served '...'I am anonymous on this.'

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...sxsfq_Ex24vcb3
The most popular digestives now are probably McVities and they also do chocolate digestives both milk and dark chocolate. Then you have Hobnobs with rolled oats which may be similar to the oat biscuits mentioned earlier. They also have a chocolate covered version.

---------- Post added 10-24-21 at 10:46 PM ----------

Oh dear, Canuckian spelling. And aren’t woolly garments a bit itchy worn below one’s underwear?
My father used to have woollen swimming trunks

10-24-2021, 04:08 PM - 2 Likes   #92843
Veteran Member

Digestives, what a strange name for a cookie (biscuit).
Sounds like a health food, but a look at the ingredients shows it is not.
10-24-2021, 04:48 PM   #92844
Pentaxian

Not Canadian spelling...but merely using the spelling of the 'Wooley' product...in my post.
10-24-2021, 05:46 PM - 2 Likes   #92845
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I have merino wool thermal undergarments, socks, long johns, long sleeved shirt.

No itching, just soft, warm, woolen goodness.
10-24-2021, 06:05 PM   #92846
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

We had a little wind storm today. The power went out just a little over three hours ago. I went out to assess the situation.

A couple of miles from the house, going towards town, a cottonwood tree had fallen through the main circuit from the substation, the circuit that serves the entire river valley we live in.

The number of customers involved, and the fact that the tree is blocking the only road that serves the valley, means the power utility should have it fixed soon.

What escapes me is the idiots who think it is OK to move a tree laying across power lines. Having worked for the utility that serves our power for 30 years, I know better.

The lines that the tree fell across is a three phase 12,500 volt circuit. I could see that only one wire was broken, the other two phases, the ground, and the telephone and cable TV underbuild were still connected.

The linemen have a saying.

“If it isn’t grounded, it isn’t dead.”

These well meaning morons have no clue, and wouldn’t know a hot phase from a dead one.

Still, a couple of them managed to move the tree off the road.

Without getting killed.

Amazing.
10-24-2021, 10:48 PM   #92847
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The most popular digestives now are probably McVities and they also do chocolate digestives both milk and dark chocolate. Then you have Hobnobs with rolled oats which may be similar to the oat biscuits mentioned earlier. They also have a chocolate covered version.

---------- Post added 10-24-21 at 10:46 PM ----------

My father used to have woollen swimming trunks
We’re they to keep him warm when swimming?
10-24-2021, 11:02 PM   #92848
Pentaxian

We had a little wind storm today. The power went out just a little over three hours ago. I went out to assess the situation.

A couple of miles from the house, going towards town, a cottonwood tree had fallen through the main circuit from the substation, the circuit that serves the entire river valley we live in.

The number of customers involved, and the fact that the tree is blocking the only road that serves the valley, means the power utility should have it fixed soon.

What escapes me is the idiots who think it is OK to move a tree laying across power lines. Having worked for the utility that serves our power for 30 years, I know better.

The lines that the tree fell across is a three phase 12,500 volt circuit. I could see that only one wire was broken, the other two phases, the ground, and the telephone and cable TV underbuild were still connected.

These well meaning morons have no clue, and wouldn’t know a hot phase from a dead one.

Without getting killed.

Amazing.
Dangerous.

But on the other side is the frustration if the road builders were so stupid as to not build a road network that allows a reasonable alternative route.

They love single entry estates here. The estate I live in has 199 houses with one access route and another 50 joining at the entrance to our area plus access to a park joining at the same place. Then there is about 150 yards of street with single car access with only 1 or 2 passing points to access a street with multiple route access, and along the way there there is a street linking an old estate with about 50 houses and a major block of flats, about another 150. If something happens and blocks the road there are a huge number of people who could not get out and whose deliveries cannot happen. And this in the town with the top university in the world, according to most rankings, which brags on their website about their oldness, not the ability of their graduates to be able to do useful thinking. Actually many of the residents of the area work for said university and about 10-20% of the houses are owned by the same university.
10-24-2021, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #92849
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Without getting killed.

Amazing.
Indeed. Years ago a man who built and maintained high-voltage lines and systems in Interesting Places Abroad told me there were no accidents in his work. Only fatalities. Comes of working with 33, 66 or 100 thousand volts…
10-24-2021, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #92850
Pentaxian

Indeed. Years ago a man who built and maintained high-voltage lines and systems in Interesting Places Abroad told me there were no accidents in his work. Only fatalities. Comes of working with 33, 66 or 100 thousand volts…
IPA is a kind of beer.