Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2021, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #93196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I find it irritating when someone says to me "thank you for your service". I don't know why, I just do.
This is one of the best explanations for the irritation that I've seen anywhere: Stonekettle Station: How The Heroes Die, Veterans Day 2021

11-11-2021, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #93197
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
My long time (retired) butcher best mate, who is these days a semi-retired rose farmer, has always said:

"If it licks, wags or throbs, don't eat it."

I tend to agree.
Our son-in-law was raised in Uruguay. The citizens are proud to say there are more cattle than people in the country. While our son-ln-law's family is not in the beef business, I joked with his father that it looked like they used everything but the moo. He quickly replied that I was wrong. The moo was also marketed.

Tripe stew is supposedly a fantastic meal - nobody on this side of the marriage agrees.
11-11-2021, 02:06 PM   #93198
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Tripe stew is supposedly a fantastic meal -
I've had menudo (more of a soup than a stew) many times and I like it. One time while on temporary duty in Texas I went to a menudo cook-off. All you want samples. I must have tried two dozen different ones. I didn't find a one that I didn't like; though I kept trying until I just couldn't eat any more.
11-11-2021, 03:45 PM   #93199
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I've had menudo (more of a soup than a stew) many times and I like it. One time while on temporary duty in Texas I went to a menudo cook-off. All you want samples. I must have tried two dozen different ones. I didn't find a one that I didn't like; though I kept trying until I just couldn't eat any more.
Yeah, pretty common across Texas Hill Country from the Tex-Mex road-side stands and food trucks. I HAVE tried it. "Not my favorite" which my wife has learned to interpret as "I'll be polite and eat it if you put it in front of me, but I won't like it."

11-11-2021, 03:56 PM   #93200
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Yeah, pretty common across Texas Hill Country
This was in Burkburnett; North of Wichita Falls.
11-11-2021, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #93201
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Great photos, Racer! I especially like the salute as he exits the perfectly good aircraft...

As a veteran myself, I extend a salute to all who have served in the interests of good, no matter their nationality. I dislike the "thank you for your service" phrase - I didn't sign up to be thanked, but for my own reasons (like everyone else). So just from me, a Salute of respect instead.

Jim
In my observation “thank you for your service “ only seems to be used to those who wear colourful uniforms. I have never heard it used of an ordinary ranking government clerk or teacher, for example. Someone who accepts a modest salary to do quite demanding work for the good of the whole community, and through that helps to maintain our way of life.
11-12-2021, 09:28 AM - 2 Likes   #93202
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Steak and kidney pie...when done properly; heaven. Not offal at all.

11-12-2021, 10:58 AM   #93203
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Steak and kidney pie...when done properly; heaven. Not offal at all.
11-12-2021, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #93204
Pentaxian

We had our first snow storm of the year. Out here on our part of the northern prairies that invariably means the snow will be here until late March, early April. The amount of snow was significant, not the biggest we have ever had by a long shot, but what we usually get and did get is wind. Wind causes snow to drift, and create high drifts of snow.

Wind is always a factor on the prairies, as there is not much in terms of structure to slow it down...it just gets up a head of steam and whistles hard across the flat plains.

Today all the neighbours are out there, with snowblowers, shovels, etc....clearing a way.

I'm happy that I finally I have a vehicle, where I can shift into a couple of different modes to ensure power is going to each wheel, and the rear axle has a locking mechanism I can engage if I need .

A couple of days ago, I put my emergency kit into the back of the SUV, directly over the rear axle....more weight for more traction.

Ahh winter.
11-12-2021, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #93205
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
but what we usually get and did get is wind.
Wind is always a factor on the prairies,
We didn't get snow here, the eastern part of the state did. The whole state had winds well in excess of 60 mph. At least ten semis were blown over in various parts of the state as of last night.
The good news, for me anyway, is the no snow part. Neither wind nor cold air need to be shoveled.
11-12-2021, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #93206
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
In my observation “thank you for your service “ only seems to be used to those who wear colourful uniforms. I have never heard it used of an ordinary ranking government clerk or teacher, for example. Someone who accepts a modest salary to do quite demanding work for the good of the whole community, and through that helps to maintain our way of life.
Aye, it has become just a rote response with little or no thought behind it (IMHO)...
11-12-2021, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #93207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Not I. Usually I will stop and whip out the trusty MSR Whisperlite.
Best camp stove out there. Especially for packing light
11-12-2021, 11:51 AM   #93208
Pentaxian

We didn't get snow here, the eastern part of the state did. The whole state had winds well in excess of 60 mph. At least ten semis were blown over in various parts of the state as of last night.
The good news, for me anyway, is the no snow part. Neither wind nor cold air need to be shoveled.
The saying about snowfall starting in the Dakotas and hitting the ground in Kansas carries a lot of truth...
11-12-2021, 11:51 AM   #93209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Not to mention those military folks who feel that it's just a job, like many others.
11-12-2021, 11:57 AM - 3 Likes   #93210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We had our first snow storm of the year. Out here on our part of the northern prairies that invariably means the snow will be here until late March, early April. The amount of snow was significant, not the biggest we have ever had by a long shot, but what we usually get and did get is wind. Wind causes snow to drift, and create high drifts of snow.

Wind is always a factor on the prairies, as there is not much in terms of structure to slow it down...it just gets up a head of steam and whistles hard across the flat plains.

Today all the neighbours are out there, with snowblowers, shovels, etc....clearing a way.

I'm happy that I finally I have a vehicle, where I can shift into a couple of different modes to ensure power is going to each wheel, and the rear axle has a locking mechanism I can engage if I need .

A couple of days ago, I put my emergency kit into the back of the SUV, directly over the rear axle....more weight for more traction.

Ahh winter.
Luckily the snow has held out here as I started some landscaping a week ago. Finished up yesterday and it starting raining last night! Here are pictures spanning from spring till now.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G950W  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G950W  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G950W  Photo     
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »