I wanna be the one to post in the sun
Oh, Bobs, they wanna have fun
Oh, Bobs just wanna have

That's all they really want
Is some fun
When the working day is done
Oh, Bobs just wanna have fun
Good thing there's not a competition on or I bet you would have made that into 5 posts, at least!

11-20-2021, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #93347
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote

I log in before in the morning light
The moderator says, "When you gonna post right?"
Oh mods dear, we're not the smart ones
And Bobs, they wanna have fun

The page loads in the middle of the night
My computer yells, "Are you gonna post all your life?"
Oh forum dear, you know you're still number one
But Bobs, they wanna have fun
Oh, Bobs just wanna have

Some fun

Some trolls take a beautiful thread
And take her away from the discussion
Oh, Bobs just wanna have

Is some fun

With apologies to Cyndi Lauper and her song, ' Girls Just Want To Have Fun'

Les / Bob / #2 (in that order)
11-20-2021, 09:22 PM - 3 Likes   #93348
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
outdated
Really! Who wooda thunk!
And they killed the wiki page 60,000+ posts ago!
11-21-2021, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #93349
Pentaxian

You could say that!

Even has (had) a wikipedia page about it... outdated as it's an archived copy from four and a half years ago:

WIWBAK3 - Wikipedia
I love the reason for deletion
"This article may meet Wikipedia's*criteria for speedy deletion*as an article about a website, blog, web forum, webcomic, podcast, browser game, or similar web content that does not*credibly indicate*the importance or significance of the subject. See*CSD A7."

11-21-2021, 06:14 AM - 2 Likes   #93350
Pentaxian

Seems we've been missing a Bob for a couple of days now, #3.
11-21-2021, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #93351
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
We should also remind ourselves before Monday of the elegant conventions of grammar and the essential differences between singular and plural.

Isgoat.
Argoats.

What happens on Monday?
11-21-2021, 06:41 AM - 2 Likes   #93352
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I log in before in the morning light
The moderator says, "When you gonna post right?"
Oh mods dear, we're not the smart ones
And Bobs, they wanna have fun

The page loads in the middle of the night
My computer yells, "Are you gonna post all your life?"
Oh forum dear, you know you're still number one
But Bobs, they wanna have fun
Oh, Bobs just wanna have

Some fun

Some trolls take a beautiful thread
And take her away from the discussion
Oh, Bobs just wanna have

Is some fun
Very good Number 4. You have many talents far beyond your humble mountain existence.

11-21-2021, 07:15 AM - 4 Likes   #93353
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Seems we've been missing a Bob for a couple of days now, #3.
I've been focused on getting mom back on track, and ensuring my kid brother never takes another dime from her.

Friday I took mom to a visit with her primary care doctor, and got the FMLA paperwork filled out and submitted so I don't get fired for taking all these days off without pay.

Mom got some blood drawn for the usual testing, and the doctor is referring her to a neurologist for evaluation of her signs of dementia. After the doctor visit I took mom out for lunch, her first time ever for sushi. Mom was born and raised in Nebraska, and never developed a taste for fish, and even turned her nose up at "raw" fish. I explained that not all of it is raw, some is steamed or seared before serving.

We started with miso soup, and I ordered a small carafe of heated sake. She really liked the pickled ginger, the wasabi, not so much, but the soy sauce she had plenty (mom adds lots of salt to nearly everything she eats).

She actually had more than I thought she would, cold smoked salmon, hamachi (a Pacific yellowtail jack with a delicious and buttery flavor, melts in your mouth), seared ahi tuna, sunomono (a cucumber salad), chūtoro (a delicious fatty tuna), and raspberry cheesecake for dessert.

Yesterday I was at her place all day trying to get her motorhome running so I can move it to my place for a few weeks, until I get the court papers filed and a restraining order preventing baby brother from contacting her again. After spending the day repairing some vandalism that was done to the motorhome I still couldn't get it started, and am suspecting the fuel pump has failed (a common problem with newer GM vehicles). Today I will return with stuff to test if the pump is bad, if so I will install a temporary fuel pump inline, and bring the motorhome to my place to pull the fuel tank and replace the fuel pump.

Fingers crossed.
11-21-2021, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #93354
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
What happens on Monday?
Thousands of posts more in pursuit of a raffled 21mm. I expect we’ll get rather chatty until almost Christmas.

And your mum sounds quite the gourmand!
11-21-2021, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #93355
Pentaxian

I've been focused on getting mom back on track, and ensuring my kid brother never takes another dime from her.

Friday I took mom to a visit with her primary care doctor, and got the FMLA paperwork filled out and submitted so I don't get fired for taking all these days off without pay.

Mom got some blood drawn for the usual testing, and the doctor is referring her to a neurologist for evaluation of her signs of dementia. After the doctor visit I took mom out for lunch, her first time ever for sushi. Mom was born and raised in Nebraska, and never developed a taste for fish, and even turned her nose up at "raw" fish. I explained that not all of it is raw, some is steamed or seared before serving.

We started with miso soup, and I ordered a small carafe of heated sake. She really liked the pickled ginger, the wasabi, not so much, but the soy sauce she had plenty (mom adds lots of salt to nearly everything she eats).

She actually had more than I thought she would, cold smoked salmon, hamachi (a Pacific yellowtail jack with a delicious and buttery flavor, melts in your mouth), seared ahi tuna, sunomono (a cucumber salad), chūtoro (a delicious fatty tuna), and raspberry cheesecake for dessert.

Yesterday I was at her place all day trying to get her motorhome running so I can move it to my place for a few weeks, until I get the court papers filed and a restraining order preventing baby brother from contacting her again. After spending the day repairing some vandalism that was done to the motorhome I still couldn't get it started, and am suspecting the fuel pump has failed (a common problem with newer GM vehicles). Today I will return with stuff to test if the pump is bad, if so I will install a temporary fuel pump inline, and bring the motorhome to my place to pull the fuel tank and replace the fuel pump.

Fingers crossed.
I suspected this was the case. Hope all is squared away soon, I'm sure it's stressing for you and mom.
11-21-2021, 07:49 AM - 7 Likes   #93356
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
And your mum sounds quite the gourmand!
Imagine an 85 year old woman, raised in the American midwest, in a sod house, who never developed a taste for seafood, having her first go.

She actually enjoyed it.

A nice day with my mom, to be sure.

The sod house she lived in as a girl:

Mom checking phone messages.

The windmill, barns and other buildings are long gone. At some point the faceless conglomerate that farms the prairie will see the remains of the sod house as a nuisance and remove it for more room to plant corn.

Mom posing in the kitchen doorway of the soddy.

When they lived there, there was no electricity, it was added later after they moved into town. Mom had two brothers, and three sisters, but the youngest sister wasn't born when they lived there, she came along after they moved to town. Some years later a man who lived there (no relation to mom) was shot and killed there in a dispute. It has been many years since anyone has lived there.

The one room schoolhouse she and her siblings attended has been moved to a nearby farm and repurposed as a shed. The blackboards are still hanging on the walls.

Nebraska No High (hemp, a cousin of marijuana) grows wild everywhere. Hemp was once cultivated for the fiber to make fabric and rope, the seeds used in bird food.

11-21-2021, 09:20 AM - 2 Likes   #93357
Pentaxian

Imagine an 85 year old woman, raised in the American midwest, in a sod house, who never developed a taste for seafood, having her first go.

She actually enjoyed it.

A nice day with my mom, to be sure.

The sod house she lived in as a girl:

Mom checking phone messages.

The windmill, barns and other buildings are long gone. At some point the faceless conglomerate that farms the prairie will see the remains of the sod house as a nuisance and remove it for more room to plant corn.

Mom posing in the kitchen doorway of the soddy.

When they lived there, there was no electricity, it was added later after they moved into town. Mom had two brothers, and three sisters, but the youngest sister wasn't born when they lived there, she came along after they moved to town. Some years later a man who lived there (no relation to mom) was shot and killed there in a dispute. It has been many years since anyone has lived there.

The one room schoolhouse she and her siblings attended has been moved to a nearby farm and repurposed as a shed. The blackboards are still hanging on the walls.

Nebraska No High (hemp, a cousin of marijuana) grows wild everywhere. Hemp was once cultivated for the fiber to make fabric and rope, the seeds used in bird food.

My bio uncles and aunts lived in a pretty successful farm, not too far out of the Peg. But electricity didn't arrive till, I believe 1956...as per many farm districts back then. I worked with a colleague who was born in the mid '30's at another farm in Mb. and I recall her telling me if a prairie blizzard hit, a lot of time they were marooned at the farm, for a couple of weeks.

Those of us born in the '50's and '60's, don't realize how difficult rural life could be in many parts of North America....for those born in the '20's and '30's and before.

BTW, you're a good man, racer, taking care of your mom.
11-21-2021, 09:44 AM - 2 Likes   #93358
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Those of us born in the '50's and '60's, don't realize how difficult rural life could be in many parts of North America....for those born in the '20's and '30's and before.
My grandmother born in the 1890s on a farm in rural Maine kept me informed, and made sure I ate every last pea on my plate.
11-21-2021, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #93359
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My grandmother born in the 1890s on a farm in rural Maine kept me informed, and made sure I ate every last pea on my plate.

And I bet you're a better person for it. I'm not kidding.

She made you aware of food waste, the expense of living, good values.
11-21-2021, 10:51 AM - 2 Likes   #93360
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
And I bet you're a better person for it. I'm not kidding.

She made you aware of food waste, the expense of living, good values.
I still find it hard to watch people waste food and make a conscious effort to make sure all leftovers are eaten.

Those restaurants that serve oversized portions? I don't go there. It's too painful.

My grandmother stayed with us for 6 months when she was 93. My kids were 4 and two, she read to them every day. We had cats who loved to sit on her lap. I was living in a log cabin about the same size as the one she was born in. She was happier and more alive than I'd ever seen her. She went to visit my uncle and he put her in a home. I don't think I'll ever got over it. I know she didn't.

---------- Post added 11-21-21 at 01:05 PM ----------

QuoteQuote:
The only reason marijuana was illegal was because Dupont couldn't get farmers to stop using hemp rope and buy plastic rope. THC and CBD were like secret ingredients subsidizing their competitor. So, like any good corporation, they mobilized people to get the government to take action and give their business a non-competitive advantage.

The whole detriment of marijuana was absolute fabricated nonsense meant to inspire the temperance movement to get involved in being anti-hemp. As now with many issues, hemp opponents were sure they were right. And as with many issues, now that marijuana is legal and society hasn't fallen apart, they are noticeably silent in defending their dire predictions.

Last edited by normhead; 11-21-2021 at 11:12 AM.