Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2021, 03:23 PM - 6 Likes   #93481
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I was under the impression such language was required to get your head under a car bonnet, and to extract it thereafter? I'm only going by real-life examples...
It's one of the reasons one of my daughter's first words (OK, not first, but probably about 5th) is not repeatable here.
I'm still getting hell for it from my wife 22 years later.

11-24-2021, 06:43 PM - 2 Likes   #93482
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
My grandfather once got upset when I said I wanted something 1/3” in size. He insisted it had to be described using one of the powers of 2 in the denominator.
So I am sure you told him you needed something 2/6" in size?
11-24-2021, 06:46 PM - 2 Likes   #93483
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It's one of the reasons one of my daughter's first words (OK, not first, but probably about 5th) is not repeatable here.
I'm still getting hell for it from my wife 22 years later.
It is strange that the only clearly heard words at that age ... are .... swear words ..... why is that....

BACON

Dave
11-24-2021, 06:59 PM - 2 Likes   #93484
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have inch, metric and Whitworth. Whitworth for my English made, '67 Matchless 750cc Scrambler.

Btw what year/model Yamaha did you have ?

I still have two motorcycles, left from the number I've had over the past half century plus. My aforementioned Matchless and my '78 Yamaha SR 500 'Thumper'.
It was a 1969 Yamaha Endro 125cc (2 stroke - auto oil injection, so raw gasoline in the tank & electric start) ... Purchased new. I told my father when I was 15 that I wanted a motorcycle. He made a mistake saying, "If you want a motorcycle you will have to buy it yourself." At 16 I couldn't legally sign the purchase contract nor purchase insurance. I had the money for both. I went to my father (who didn't realize a kid could squirrel away that much money shoveling snow and mowing lawns) and asked him to provide the adult co-sign, reminding him what he said. He looked me in the eye, gave a big sigh and helped me buy my motorcycle.

Back then gasoline was so cheap I could literally ride ALL day with US$0.50 in my pocket. Like Racer, I rode year-round in the Detroit metro area, unless there was ice under the snow.

11-24-2021, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #93485
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Do your USA made metric tools work on your foreign made cars?
Okay, my question isn't too different. US made metric sockets fit the standard size ratchet handles - - 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2 inch. So for you mechanics who purchase your tools outside the US, are ratchet handles also metric - - or is the international tool system as screwy as tires which use metric tread widths but inch sized wheel diameters?
11-24-2021, 07:11 PM - 3 Likes   #93486
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Lost in the kerfuffle and excitement at the possibility of the a free lens for that K-1?

No worries, come in and join the fun, stay for a while!
Hahah how did you guess? None the less it is a good way to get people to interact with the forum haha
11-24-2021, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #93487
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Okay, my question isn't too different. US made metric sockets fit the standard size ratchet handles - - 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2 inch. So for you mechanics who purchase your tools outside the US, are ratchet handles also metric - - or is the international tool system as screwy as tires which use metric tread widths but inch sized wheel diameters?
You're 100% correct. The square socket size is always 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2, even for metric sockets!

11-24-2021, 07:39 PM - 4 Likes   #93488
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
It is strange that the only clearly heard words at that age ... are .... swear words ..... why is that....

BACON

Dave
Indeed. Thing is, my daughter stubbed her toe and used the appropriate word perfectly correctly and in context. I was rather impressed, even though Annie was not.
11-24-2021, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #93489
dbs
Pentaxian

Too my way of hearing we need new swear words all the others are just words in everyday speech ..... or so it seeems.

Dave
11-24-2021, 08:01 PM - 2 Likes   #93490
dbs
Pentaxian

Too my way of hearing we need new swear words all the others are just words in everyday speech ..... or so it seeems.

Dave
11-24-2021, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #93491
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

or is the international tool system as screwy as tires which use metric tread widths but inch sized wheel diameters?
It gets even more weird with bicycle wheels and tires where a 700c and a 622 (road bike) rim is exactly the same thing but is also referred to as a 29" rim, but only for mountain biking.
11-24-2021, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #93492
Pentaxian

It was a 1969 Yamaha Endro 125cc (2 stroke - auto oil injection, so raw gasoline in the tank & electric start) ... Purchased new. I told my father when I was 15 that I wanted a motorcycle. He made a mistake saying, "If you want a motorcycle you will have to buy it yourself." At 16 I couldn't legally sign the purchase contract nor purchase insurance. I had the money for both. I went to my father (who didn't realize a kid could squirrel away that much money shoveling snow and mowing lawns) and asked him to provide the adult co-sign, reminding him what he said. He looked me in the eye, gave a big sigh and helped me buy my motorcycle.

Back then gasoline was so cheap I could literally ride ALL day with US$0.50 in my pocket. Like Racer, I rode year-round in the Detroit metro area, unless there was ice under the snow.
I recall those days. Best price I saw, up here was in '66 @ 26 cents per British Imperial gallon, which is about 20 % larger than an American gallon. Those were the days.

My 4th bike in the '60's (I had a lot of motorcycles back then, would buy, ride, then trade them in) was a '65 Yamaha YDS3, Catalina Super Sport....which was quite a mouthful, as far as a lengthy name goes. It was also a 250cc twin, 2 stroke, with twin carbs and 28.6 HP @8600 rpm said the owner's manual.

It was one of the first of the Yamaha auto oil injection systems. My previous three motorcycles were also 2 stroke but they were all measure the oil, put it in the tank through the gas tank filler hole, gas up the bike, watching the amount of gas I was putting in, by carefully checking the meter on the gas station's fuel pump meter....to make sure I got the right amount of oil/fuel mixture, then shaking the motorcycle back and forth a number of times...so the mixture would mix well in the gas tank of the bike.

Whew...!! A lot of work tanking up.

Then I got my Yamaha with it's auto oil injection. Just top up the oil tank with 2 stroke oil, gas up whenever I wanted...no mix, no mess, no mathematics, no shaking all over....

Auto oil injection for a 2 stroke bike was marvelous .

My BIL had a 175cc Yamaha Enduro in the '70's, which he liked quite a bit.
11-24-2021, 11:23 PM   #93493
Pentaxian

So I am sure you told him you needed something 2/6" in size?
Powers of 2: 2, 4, 8, 16, …

I cannot find a fraction with one of these as denominator with an integer numerator.
11-24-2021, 11:33 PM   #93494
Pentaxian

You're 100% correct. The square socket size is always 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2, even for metric sockets!
Just like the standard train gauge for tracks is based on the distance between wheels on Roman carts, which were all the same because that dealt with the problem of the ruts worn in the road by everyone else.

And in turn it probably influenced the size of shipping pallets which led to the width of the cargo hold in the 747, which led to the size of heavy lift aircraft interiors which now influences the size of shippable vehicles and there to armour option available to designers of US Army vehicles.
11-24-2021, 11:38 PM - 2 Likes   #93495
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Y'all left some out.

Having worked on medium and heavy trucks, and heavy equipment, I also have 3/4" and 1" drive sockets, extensions ratchets, impact guns.

When running a 1" drive impact gun (weighs about 30 pounds, not including the socket), use both hands, and grip the handles (yes, handles, two of them) very tightly. Otherwise a sprained wrist or broken fingers will result.