Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2021, 10:28 AM - 2 Likes   #93511
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It's not about fun. Thanksgiving is a day to look inward. A time to do some soul searching and decide whether the inevitable belly ache/heartburn/overstuffed feeling is worth the gluttony of the moment.
For me, the answer is an unequivocal YES!
I am appropriately reassured.

11-25-2021, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #93512
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I thought Thanksgiving was a day of giving thanks and sacrifice for the blessing of the harvest and of the preceding year?

Yes, it has become a day of gluttony, when we prepare and eat lots of stuff we don’t ordinarily consume the rest of the year. And of course there is the leftovers, turkey sammiches for a week, turkey soup, and plenty of leftover stuffing.

Mmmmmm . . . . . . . stuffing.
Do you do the same again on Christmas Day?

11-25-2021, 10:42 AM - 2 Likes   #93513
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought Thanksgiving was a day of giving thanks and sacrifice for the blessing of the harvest and of the preceding year?
Well, yeah, okay. That too.
11-25-2021, 11:24 AM - 4 Likes   #93514
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Breakfast.

Blueberry pancakes, with blueberry syrup (homemade), a banana, coffee, and BACON!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
11-25-2021, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #93515
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Sort of.

Except it is usually a goose, or a spiral cut honey ham.

Or maybe prime rib.

And fudge.

And candy canes.

Peppermint candy canes.

Oh yeah.
11-25-2021, 11:43 AM - 4 Likes   #93516
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
It's not about fun. Thanksgiving is a day to look inward. A time to do some soul searching and decide whether the inevitable belly ache/heartburn/overstuffed feeling is worth the gluttony of the moment.
For me, the answer is an unequivocal YES!
Do you boil the turkey.
11-25-2021, 11:46 AM - 2 Likes   #93517
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Happy turkey day to all our friends in America.

It is a happy day for the turkeys that have lived to see the day.

11-25-2021, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #93518
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I think you’d be surprised how many of these moulded sections can still be made.
Fairbanks lumber in Toronto still has a lot of the original shaper knives. They bought up the knives from many of the old school cabinet shops as they shut down. In some of the shops I worked in we had drawers and drawers of shaper knives, we could match almost anything.
https://centralfairbank.com

It's a cabinet maker with a shaper you want.
11-25-2021, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #93519
Pentaxian

Breakfast.

Blueberry pancakes, with blueberry syrup (homemade), a banana, coffee, and BACON!
Looks real tasty.
11-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #93520
Pentaxian

MY way of doing this meal....
Double buttermilk pancakes (real buttermilk added to all in one buttermilk pancake mix ,for pancakes or waffles with the blueberries mixed into the batter. Maple syrup (eh?). Real butter. I'll try and remember to snap a picture.
11-25-2021, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #93521
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

As I get older, my flexibility becomes more reduced, and, coupled with the artificial hip, I can hardly reach my toes to cut the nails.

So a few weeks ago I dropped in at a local “spa”, and had a pedicure.

What a treat! More than just trimming the toenails, they place your feet in a warm tub of water, an exfoliating cream is massaged from the calves to the toes, there is a hot stone massage, the feet and calves are wrapped in moistened hot towels, and finally a moisturizing cream is massaged into the skin.

The spa I went to is run by three Vietnamese women, possibly mother, daughter, granddaughter.

I went back Tuesday for a second go, and like it so much it is going to become a regular thing, every couple of weeks.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 

Last edited by Racer X 69; 11-25-2021 at 12:25 PM.
11-25-2021, 12:20 PM - 2 Likes   #93522
Pentaxian

Yes, it has become a day of gluttony, when we prepare and eat lots of stuff we don’t ordinarily consume the rest of the year. And of course there is the leftovers, turkey sammiches for a week, turkey soup, and plenty of leftover stuffing.

Mmmmmm . . . . . . . stuffing.
We Canuckians also celebrate Thanksgiving, but in October. Our Thanksgiving meals are very similar, centered around the roast turkey. Xmas is also very similar. I do like my turkey, mashed potatoes, holobchis, pie, etc...also gravy with little meataballs and mushrooms floating in the gravy. I'm getting real hungry.

Btw, best wishes to Americans on this Thanksgiving day.

On another food related topic, we went to our favourite bakery to pick up a few weeks worth of rye bread, ball park hot dog buns, etc.

While in the bakery store to pick up our order, the aroma of this bakery caused my knees to buckle, and I also started to salivate.

Among their products were cookies...oatmeal and date cookies. Big ones. Freshly baked that morning. I'm supposed to be careful about my intake of sweets and ordinarily I am.

But resistance was futile in this case.

I bought two. Ate them on the way home.

Not only did these cookies satisfy my hunger, but triggered my brain to release endorphins. These exceptional tasting oatmeal cookies , produced within me, a mild euphoria.

Absolutely delicious. IMHO, you can't beat a privately owned bakery.
11-25-2021, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #93523
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Just like the standard train gauge for tracks is based on the distance between wheels on Roman carts, which were all the same because that dealt with the problem of the ruts worn in the road by everyone else.

And in turn it probably influenced the size of shipping pallets which led to the width of the cargo hold in the 747, which led to the size of heavy lift aircraft interiors which now influences the size of shippable vehicles and there to armour option available to designers of US Army vehicles.
Sort of. But the true story is even more interesting. See, for instance: Are U.S. Railroad Gauges Based on Roman Chariots? | Snopes.com
11-25-2021, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #93524
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, and Cape Gauge.
11-25-2021, 12:53 PM - 2 Likes   #93525
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Aren't they lucky? Two feast days, not far apart!

Happy Thanksgiving! (Said no turkey ever)