Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By the way Racer, had to tell this tale (thanks to your post):

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Street walking with Jay Leno.

Pedestrians Being Dumb for 10 Minutes Straight - YouTube

Sad really, how people can be so dumb.

Happy Thanksgiving to our members in the US.
Many moons ago, I worked for a concession company in Florida, selling peanuts, cotton candy and snowcones at baseball games, ice hockey games and sometimes concerts.
I would often get asked "Where are you from?" and I would reply: "Guess. If you guess the right country, I'll give your purchase free." No-one ever guessed right.

Usually, they'd guess England, or Australia. Once, I posed the question and the conversation went like this:

Customer: "Ohio."
Me: "No, try another country."
Customer: "California!"
Me: "No, different country, not state."
Customer: "Canada."
Me: "Nope. Try a different continent."
Customer: "Alaska?"

11-25-2021, 08:04 PM   #93527
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Fairbanks lumber in Toronto still has a lot of the original shaper knives. They bought up the knives from many of the old school cabinet shops as they shut down. In some of the shops I worked in we had drawers and drawers of shaper knives, we could match almost anything.
https://centralfairbank.com

It's a cabinet maker with a shaper you want.
I'll have to keep that in mind... I've sometimes been able to come really, really close by ripping on a table saw (or using a bench mounted router) some current trim shapes and gluing them in combination. Even when the trim is a short piece used for repair, it is a lot of work.
11-25-2021, 08:06 PM - 3 Likes   #93528
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I get older, my flexibility becomes more reduced, and, coupled with the artificial hip, I can hardly reach my toes to cut the nails.

So a few weeks ago I dropped in at a local “spa”, and had a pedicure.

What a treat! More than just trimming the toenails, they place your feet in a warm tub of water, an exfoliating cream is massaged from the calves to the toes, there is a hot stone massage, the feet and calves are wrapped in moistened hot towels, and finally a moisturizing cream is massaged into the skin.

The spa I went to is run by three Vietnamese women, possibly mother, daughter, granddaughter.

I went back Tuesday for a second go, and like it so much it is going to become a regular thing, every couple of weeks.
So we finally have a self-portrait of Racer!
11-25-2021, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #93529
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

Many moons ago, I worked for a concession company in Florida, selling peanuts, cotton candy and snowcones at baseball games, ice hockey games and sometimes concerts.
I would often get asked "Where are you from?" and I would reply: "Guess. If you guess the right country, I'll give your purchase free." No-one ever guessed right.

Usually, they'd guess England, or Australia. Once, I posed the question and the conversation went like this:

The conversation sounds like the TV gag with Jay Leno and his interviewing the man on the street. I think if I had listened to you and tried to figure out your accent...I would of probably gone with English or Australian, ...and I used to work with a New Zealander, but never with a South African. Was your accent at that time...more NZ or SA ?

11-25-2021, 08:17 PM - 4 Likes   #93530
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
While in the bakery store to pick up our order, the aroma of this bakery caused my knees to buckle, and I also started to salivate.
Returning to Michigan from Texas this past spring, a car flagged us and indicated we had a tire on the camper going flat. We were in Dubuque, Iowa and we exited the highway and pulled into a parking lot with enough room to deal with the tire. It was nearly lunch time. Directly across the street from the parking lot was a bread factory. The tantalizing aroma of fresh baking bread made a miserable job all the worse. After changing the tire and getting back on the road, we didn't drive far before pulling off again to find something to eat!
11-25-2021, 11:19 PM   #93531
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Returning to Michigan from Texas this past spring, a car flagged us and indicated we had a tire on the camper going flat. We were in Dubuque, Iowa and we exited the highway and pulled into a parking lot with enough room to deal with the tire. It was nearly lunch time. Directly across the street from the parking lot was a bread factory. The tantalizing aroma of fresh baking bread made a miserable job all the worse. After changing the tire and getting back on the road, we didn't drive far before pulling off again to find something to eat!
You can always tell a good bakery by the wonderful aroma that emanates from it.

The last 8 years of my career, I worked in an office building, in the older part of town. Right next to the building was a large industrial style bakery. I had a corner office, that looked out to the street and over the bakery. The loading docks were probably about 100 or so yards from me.

They made wonder bread. And for some reason, this bakery which supplied a good chunk of western Canada with this product , had not even a smidgen of an aroma of fresh baking taking place. I don't know why. It remained a mystery for me, during my 8 years at this location.

All I have are some guesses, Maybe it was the baking process, maybe the aroma, somehow never left the baking plant due to a sophisticated ventilation system, possibly it was the type of ingredients used. I don't know.
11-26-2021, 12:04 AM   #93532
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

.They made wonder bread. And for some reason, this bakery which supplied a good chunk of western Canada with this product , had not even a smidgen of an aroma of fresh baking taking place. I don't know why. It remained a mystery for me, during my 8 years at this location.
You have just solved the Plastic Bread Mystery: I wondered where the tasteless uber-dull supermarket stuff came from. Bleah.

11-26-2021, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #93533
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

You would not sound at all like an Australian.

On my first overseas trip I met quite a lot of Americans and small numbers from UK, NZ and South Africa. I felt that the Americans sounded most different to me because of both accent and grammar.
11-26-2021, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #93534
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
You can always tell a good bakery by the wonderful aroma that emanates from it.
When we lived in Philadelphia there was a whiskey distillery nearby. I can still recall the smell of the mash.

Makes me thirsty for a shot or two.
11-26-2021, 07:40 AM - 4 Likes   #93535
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
So we finally have a self-portrait of Racer!
Well, of my feet.

Here is one from my mid twenties.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
11-26-2021, 07:41 AM - 3 Likes   #93536
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, of my feet.

And one from my thirties.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
11-26-2021, 08:00 AM - 4 Likes   #93537
Veteran Member

I like to play search Google for images, here's one that showed up for your 20s pic:

11-26-2021, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #93538
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I like to play search Google for images, here's one that showed up for your 20s pic:
One of my favorite musicians, and hands down my favorite bass player.
11-26-2021, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #93539
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When we lived in Philadelphia there was a whiskey distillery nearby. I can still recall the smell of the mash.

Makes me thirsty for a shot or two.
There is a distillery just north of where I grew up and we always knew the wind was northerly when we could smell the mash cooking, but I never liked that smell. A whiff of the alcohol being distilled was much more pleasant.
11-26-2021, 04:01 PM - 3 Likes   #93540
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
when we could smell the mash cooking, but I never liked that smell.
Interesting how people's perceptions differ. I've been to a couple of small distilleries in Missouri and I've found that smell to be very pleasant. Of course, I lived for many years In Rapid City and there was a pet food/animal food plant. I found the aroma from that when they were cooking rather pleasant as well.