12-28-2021, 04:30 PM - 2 Likes   #94411
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Mom talk is welcomed and encouraged.
Mom can hide her own Easter eggs.

Except that she will forget to go look for them.

I have discovered that instead of pestering her to clean up the motorhome, and toss out stuff far past the pull date, I just slip out while she is asleep (she's staying in the spare room in the house while the weather is cold), and remove stuff.

She hasn't said a thing yet.

I feel so bad.

12-28-2021, 05:00 PM - 6 Likes   #94412
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Oh, and Mrs. Racer tucked the ribs away in the freezer for a beef stew, sometime in January.
Most likely hiding them from Parallax.
12-28-2021, 05:11 PM - 3 Likes   #94413
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Most likely hiding them from Parallax.
Even though they haven't been boiled yet, doesn't putting them in a stew count as boiling?

OK.

Maybe not, as the stew usually isn't brought to a boil, but slowly simmered, just shy of boiling.

Yeah, that's it, simmered to perfection.

Tasty!
12-28-2021, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #94414
Pentaxian

I have discovered that instead of pestering her to clean up the motorhome, and toss out stuff far past the pull date, I just slip out while she is asleep (she's staying in the spare room in the house while the weather is cold), and remove stuff.

I feel so bad.
I recall my times with my mom, when she had dementia. I did feel bad, about some of the things I had to do, but in the end I also realized that they were things I had to do, because of her condition. Didn't make it any easier, though.

It's a tough time, Racer.

12-28-2021, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #94415
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

I feel so bad.
That is protecting her from the effect of out of date stuff.

But I do see why you are not happy about it.
12-29-2021, 01:01 AM - 1 Like   #94416
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My late aunt didn’t suffer dementia at all, but wouldn’t chuck out very expired stuff. “Nothing wrong with it!” she would snort. My wife quietly threw out 5yr + packets and weeks-old fridge contents when aunt wasn’t looking. The old warrior made it to her mid 90s!
12-29-2021, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #94417
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
My late aunt didn’t suffer dementia at all, but wouldn’t chuck out very expired stuff. “Nothing wrong with it!” she would snort. My wife quietly threw out 5yr + packets and weeks-old fridge contents when aunt wasn’t looking. The old warrior made it to her mid 90s!
We had some unopened month old smoked salmon in the fridge. I opened it and it looked and smelled normal but the "use by" rather than "best before" put me off so we binned it.

12-29-2021, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #94418
Pentaxian

On Christmas Day we had some custard that was a week past use by. Smelled ok. Looked ok. Did not eat. Getting sick would be rather a downer on Christmas Day.
12-29-2021, 05:14 AM - 3 Likes   #94419
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
We had some unopened month old smoked salmon in the fridge. I opened it and it looked and smelled normal but the "use by" rather than "best before" put me off so we binned it.
It wouldn’t stand an earthly in our fridge, it would be eaten long before its date! I do like smoked salmon!
12-29-2021, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #94420
Pentaxian

It wouldn’t stand an earthly in our fridge, it would be eaten long before its date! I do like smoked salmon!
It was hidden at the bottom of the cheese drawer .

12-29-2021, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #94421
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
It was hidden at the bottom of the cheese drawer .
Obviously an online shopping offload - “here’syerordernochangesbye” (clatter)
12-29-2021, 06:13 AM - 4 Likes   #94422
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Mrs. P got me a smoked salmon filet that I'd asked for fro Christmas. (she doesn't like anything like that). It's about a half pound or so. Cardboard cutouts of that, a wedge of blue cheese, and a jar of pickled herring were my stocking stuffers. The real items stayed safely in the fridge.
12-29-2021, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #94423
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Mrs. P got me a smoked salmon filet that I'd asked for fro Christmas. (she doesn't like anything like that). It's about a half pound or so. Cardboard cutouts of that, a wedge of blue cheese, and a jar of pickled herring were my stocking stuffers. The real items stayed safely in the fridge.
Mrs P is turning out rather well, I’d say!
12-29-2021, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #94424
Pentaxian

MrsTim is letting me eat all of the blue sheep cheese. She prefers yellow cow cheeses that are much younger than my taste.
12-29-2021, 07:54 AM - 3 Likes   #94425
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
England 2/7. Malan out lbw for a golden duck. Starch on a hat trick. Needs a wicket next ball.
He bowled a double wicket maiden.

Let our friends work that out.
Now 4/22. Another duck, but not a golden duck. He had one dot ball that he survived. That was Jack Leach, a night watchman.

Now Ben Stokes came in. Walking out really slow as a delaying tactic.
Me, I understand nuthin'