Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2022, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #96046
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
ditto
Exactly !!

Although just a short time ago, I did mention my K5 and Sigma lens.

Back to regular scheduled programming. Yesterday, at the country drive in, along with my burger and chips, I got a medium coffe to go. It was very disappointing. Terrible.

The other thing I noticed, for the first time, next to this old drive in...is there is a new Tim Horton's Coffee shop. Within walking distance. In the future, I'll get my burger at the old drive in, then walk across to the Tim's and get a delicious coffee...perhaps with a double double.

Non Canucks may not know about Tim Horton's. It is a nation wide coffee chain. It was named after a former NHL hockey star, Tim Horton, who was involved in the start up.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...S6G708ubmIZ1sF

03-24-2022, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #96047
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
So, was he measuring it to make an Airfix kit model or for a cheapskate plane maker who could save on the design cost and trade on the Boeing brand, kind of an ultimate spiv.
Two of the skin panels weren’t lining up. They were creating a 3D model to aid in sorting out why, and to see if a workaround could be developed to sort it out.

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Hmm! I suppose they had to clamp the airplane so it didn’t move during exposure?
Everything was loaded in the jig, clamped firmly and some of the fitment has already taken place.

The exposures seemed fairly short, judging on how quickly each shot was taken and the next one, etc.

The camera has an 8 mega pickle sensor, and only records in grayscale to keep file sizes small.
03-24-2022, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #96048
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Our local zoo have a white Buffalo there, in the herd, that is of exceptional significance to our local indigenous people.
03-24-2022, 07:46 AM - 3 Likes   #96049
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Non Canucks may not know about Tim Horton's.
I've wanted to try one of Tim's beavertails ever since I heard about them some time ago.
Apparently there are 550 THs in the USA, but closest to me is in Ohio, 6 hour drive away.

03-24-2022, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #96050
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If that had been one of the new Ford F series pickups with the aluminum bodies, that whole side would have been shredded. The driver may have been seriously injured too. I have already seen several F series trucks with holes in them from minor accidents that would have been dents on other steel body vehicles.
03-24-2022, 07:54 AM   #96051
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
It has a viewfinder? I'd have thought ground glass and a dark cloth more appropriate – that's what real cameras use...
Still the best camera for capturing images. Sitting on a tripod able to survive a nuclear blast too.
03-24-2022, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #96052
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Everything was loaded in the jig, clamped firmly and some of the fitment has already taken place.

The exposures seemed fairly short, judging on how quickly each shot was taken and the next one, etc.

The camera has an 8 mega pickle sensor, and only records in grayscale to keep file sizes small.
And in mono too? Obviously a real professional!

03-24-2022, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #96053
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Still the best camera for capturing images. Sitting on a tripod able to survive a nuclear blast too.
No, just the magnesium flash powder!
03-24-2022, 10:09 AM - 5 Likes   #96054
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Two of the skin panels weren’t lining up. They were creating a 3D model to aid in sorting out why, and to see if a workaround could be developed to sort it out.
Pffft.
Probably spent thousands when some Bondo and/or an auto body hammer would probably have solved it.
03-24-2022, 10:23 AM - 5 Likes   #96055
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Pffft.
Probably spent thousands when some Bondo and/or an auto body hammer would probably have solved it.
Word this morning is the skin panel will be scrapped, and the vendor has been asked to provide another.

Tomorrow.

Keep in mind these things are manufactured with subassemblies from all over the world. In this case I think Kawasaki Heavy Industries in Japan builds up the panel assemblies (skin, frames, stringers) for this section.

A skin panel looks like this:

Or this:

Last edited by Racer X 69; 03-24-2022 at 10:31 AM.
03-24-2022, 11:42 AM - 2 Likes   #96056
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Pffft.
It might have been helpful to warm it up a bit with an oxy torch.

And then fill any remaining gaps with a load of welding.
03-24-2022, 12:45 PM - 4 Likes   #96057
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No. The road was in such an extreme state of gumbo...that I didn't want to test our luck, stopping. I had my Sigma 150-500 lens, attached to my old K5....and I would of liked to have taken a pix of the coyote...which was looking rather bedraggled ...as it was losing it's heavy winter coat. It was some distance, but the 500mm part of the lens, on the K5's ASPC sensor, from what I (no optical engineer am I ) understand 'stretches' out the 500mm setting to around a roughly 750mm equivalency. It is good for me, as it does bring relatively far subjects. into my photo frame.
Don't blame you for not stopping. Stopping in the wrong place can be challenging. Once had a wide river crossing, bottom of windshield deep, with a climb out the other side up a steep shingle bank and then up a small creek to where there was an overgrown track. The vehicle in front of me did not make it up the shingle and slid back into the river.

I should have waited on the other side of the river, until he cleared the river but because it was not a straight crossing and the spotter thought he had cleared it, I was sent to go.
So, here I am 2/3 through the crossing with a vehicle sliding down toward me and I had to stop. The moment you stop, of course, all those little drain holes in the bottom of the body and doors start to bring in water. And the air space around the engine fills up too. Soon, it was a bit of a shallow bathtub inside the truck and absolutely nothing I could do about it, other than yank the radios out of their cradles and place them on top of the dash to keep them dry.

Took weeks of drying it out in the sun before the river and cow dung smells dissipated! Plus, had to drain the transfer case, the differentials and the front hubs because the breather tubes (while extended to well up the firewall) were too short and everything got water in it. Other than the engine, that is. The air intake was up at roof level so the engine was fine!
03-24-2022, 01:11 PM - 2 Likes   #96058
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I've wanted to try one of Tim's beavertails ever since I heard about them some time ago.
Apparently there are 550 THs in the USA, but closest to me is in Ohio, 6 hour drive away.
I've never had one of those. Wonder if it's available in my area Tim's ?

I like Tim's coffee, when I'm on the road.

However my favourite donut , which has been since I was a kid, is a donut available at a local Winnipeg eatery...Salisbury House, or Sal's for short. This place was first opened in the depression, I think around 1931, actually by an American. People didn't have much money back then and a lot of times all they could afford was a cup of coffee and a donut, which I think you could buy for 5 cents , CAD, back in the '30's.

For years, Sal's had two types of donut....plain...and also plain, but in addition, hand dipped in chocolate. Either one is good, although I do believe that they cut the plain one from the menu, and now only offer the plain, hand dipped in chocolate.

They are known for their hamburgers, which they call 'nips'.

When I was working I would drop in occasionally for lunch and either get me, a Nip, chips and a donut...or splurge once in awhile and get a Salisbury steak (hamburger - no bun), mashed potatoes, gravy and I can't recall what else would be part of this, but for dessert, usually a plain donut. Also bottomless coffee, if dining in the restaurant.

Interesting factoid about # 2 :

When my wife and I first went to Wall Drugs in South Dakota, we got coffee to go and I tried one of their plain donuts. It was great and tasted very similar to the old Salisbury donut. Must be from similar depression era recipes, as I think Wall Drugs goes back as far as Sal's.

Anyway, I bought six Wall Drug donuts for the road, to share between me and the wife on our travels.

Danged if I didn't eat all six Wall Drug donuts myself !

Well, all I could do is apologize to my wife for 'hoggin' all six donuts.

I recall I sputtered out a sincere apology and an explanation to boot...something along the lines of...I dunno what came over me.

But what is done, is done, I guess you could say.
03-24-2022, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #96059
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Don't blame you for not stopping. Stopping in the wrong place can be challenging. Once had a wide river crossing, bottom of windshield deep, with a climb out the other side up a steep shingle bank and then up a small creek to where there was an overgrown track. The vehicle in front of me did not make it up the shingle and slid back into the river.

I should have waited on the other side of the river, until he cleared the river but because it was not a straight crossing and the spotter thought he had cleared it, I was sent to go.
So, here I am 2/3 through the crossing with a vehicle sliding down toward me and I had to stop. The moment you stop, of course, all those little drain holes in the bottom of the body and doors start to bring in water. And the air space around the engine fills up too. Soon, it was a bit of a shallow bathtub inside the truck and absolutely nothing I could do about it, other than yank the radios out of their cradles and place them on top of the dash to keep them dry.

Took weeks of drying it out in the sun before the river and cow dung smells dissipated! Plus, had to drain the transfer case, the differentials and the front hubs because the breather tubes (while extended to well up the firewall) were too short and everything got water in it. Other than the engine, that is. The air intake was up at roof level so the engine was fine!
Now that was an adventurous crossing !

It sounds like in your short, but perilous journey across the river...momentum was your friend.

I have found that one of top methods for getting unstuck out of snow drifts....is momentum. Once I get a bit of traction....if I'm lucky... I can build some momentum and when that takes over .... I come out out flying...so to speak.

There was a guy stuck in our snow bound lane...he had been for about an hour. I went out to help him. I have these, what I call steel traction bars...which unfold, have metal teeth in them which I hammer into the frozen ice...or snow. They have cross steel reinforcement and I have found that once I shovel out the snow and ice in front of all wheels...and then move the stuck vehicle, just a bit, in order to place these metal bridges under the drive wheels again.

it is then relatively easy to drive forward a couple of feet (length of bridges) at a time and repeat the process. Usually takes about 10-20 minutes to unstuck a car. They were made in Quebec, Canada and I'm not sure they are available, but I bought a number, for each member of my family, years ago. They are worth their weight in gold.

Wouldn't of helped you, in the river, though.
03-24-2022, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #96060
Pentaxian

Word this morning is the skin panel will be scrapped, and the vendor has been asked to provide another.

Tomorrow.

Keep in mind these things are manufactured with subassemblies from all over the world. In this case I think Kawasaki Heavy Industries in Japan builds up the panel assemblies (skin, frames, stringers) for this section.

A skin panel looks like this:

Or this:
Impressive build on those sub assemblies. But no surprise, when I think of it, quality control on aircraft builds...must be at the top. They're not cheap, they can't be.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »