Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2022, 08:09 PM   #96811
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I do.

I suffered from hayfever and pollen allergies in my late teens, early twenties. Mom started keeping bees about the time I was 25. Been eating nothing but the honey her bees produce ever since. My seasonal allergies ceased by the next season, and have not bothered me since.

Oh, and honey has been given freely from my mother ever since, more than forty years.

She isn't really keeping bees anymore, although there is an active hive the on her property. She does have a bunch of two and a half, and five gallon pails of honey, and I keep finding boxes of jars filled with honey and labeled with the business she had. Most of it is sugared up, but a brief dip in a double boiler and it looks like the day it was extracted from the comb.

It wouldn't be a stretch to say I will never have to buy honey.

My wife did some beekeeping for awhile. It was years ago, during her U. days, when she was working on her degree in Micro Biology.

As an aside, I don't think biology gets anymore micro then a bee...but what do I know.

She doesn't raise bees /harvest honey anymore, but does take great delight in gardening.

Interesting to note that your seasonal allergies ceased, after your mom started keeping bees. My wife is allergic to pollen, etc. I don't know if she had these allergies, when she was involved in bee keeping. When she raised bees, it was before my time.

05-22-2022, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #96812
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Congrats to your son, and what a fine family pix celebrating your son's achievement.
Thank you Les.
05-22-2022, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #96813
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
No, they’re over a hundred miles away - and in Engalund - so not local at all. Scots bees are a tougher lot.
You will bring enjoyment to Bert.
05-22-2022, 09:36 PM   #96814
Pentaxian

I do.

I suffered from hayfever and pollen allergies in my late teens, early twenties. Mom started keeping bees about the time I was 25. Been eating nothing but the honey her bees produce ever since. My seasonal allergies ceased by the next season, and have not bothered me since.

Oh, and honey has been given freely from my mother ever since, more than forty years.

She isn't really keeping bees anymore, although there is an active hive the on her property. She does have a bunch of two and a half, and five gallon pails of honey, and I keep finding boxes of jars filled with honey and labeled with the business she had. Most of it is sugared up, but a brief dip in a double boiler and it looks like the day it was extracted from the comb.

It wouldn't be a stretch to say I will never have to buy honey.
I like the candied honey.

It is a test that the honey is pure. Only problem with the test is that it takes a long time, too long to apply as a purchase decision test.

05-23-2022, 02:34 AM   #96815
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I like the candied honey.
Candied honey?

Never heard of it.

Why would anyone want to mess with nature’s perfect sweet?

I use honey as a sweetener. In tea, with peanut butter on a sammich, on pancakes and waffles, drizzled over cereal or oatmeal, in cooking. The list is quite large, actually.

I even make marinades and barbecue sauce with honey.

About the only thing I don’t use it in is coffee. It just doesn’t work with coffee. Brown sugar is much better in coffee.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 05-23-2022 at 02:39 AM.
05-23-2022, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #96816
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Candied honey?

Never heard of it.

Candied = Crystallised I think.

05-23-2022, 02:41 AM   #96817
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
I find it much more palatable when liquid.

05-23-2022, 03:03 AM - 2 Likes   #96818
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Candied honey?

Never heard of it.

I use honey as a sweetener. In tea, with peanut butter on a sammich, on pancakes and waffles, drizzled over cereal or oatmeal, in cooking. The list is quite large, actually.

About the only thing I don’t use it in is coffee. It just doesn’t work with coffee. Brown sugar is much better in coffee.
I have long, 50+ year long, been a fan of white bread with cheese and honey. I much prefer that over most any other fancy bread or fancy sandwich options. I love honey. Tonight, I had some honey in the comb. Mmmmmmmm.
05-23-2022, 03:10 AM - 2 Likes   #96819
Pentaxian

Candied honey?

Never heard of it.

Candied honey is the name for the naturally crystallised state of pure honey that happens when you keep it in a cool cupboard for a long time. I prefer the crunchiness to runny honey.
05-23-2022, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #96820
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Someone who speaks English.
05-23-2022, 03:25 AM   #96821
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Candied honey is the name for the naturally crystallised state of pure honey that happens when you keep it in a cool cupboard for a long time. I prefer the crunchiness to runny honey.
Looks like the term "candied honey" is only used in Australia

05-23-2022, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #96822
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I have long, 50+ year long, been a fan of white bread with cheese and honey. I much prefer that over most any other fancy bread or fancy sandwich options. I love honey. Tonight, I had some honey in the comb. Mmmmmmmm.
White bread. Like Wonder Bread, "builds strong bodies 12 ways". "Fortified with 12 vitamins and minerals!"

What they fail to mention is the 22 ingredients they bleach out, before adding back in the 12.

Good, whole grain flour makes bread that is so much more nutritious.

Can't say I'd like honey with cheese, the two are so far apart flavor and texture wise.

For me, honey still in the comb is a bother. The wax comb is nothing more than a container, not something to eat. I can't imagine it is digested, so it just passed through. Eat too much and you'll end up with a wax plug.
05-23-2022, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #96823
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

Interesting to note that your seasonal allergies ceased, after your mom started keeping bees. My wife is allergic to pollen, etc. I don't know if she had these allergies, when she was involved in bee keeping. When she raised bees, it was before my time.
It was the consumption of raw local honey that did the trick. The local pollen collected by the bees ends up in the honey. Being unpasteurised ensures that the essential natural components aren't changed.
05-23-2022, 04:40 AM - 3 Likes   #96824
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

White bread. Like Wonder Bread, "builds strong bodies 12 ways". "Fortified with 12 vitamins and minerals!"

What they fail to mention is the 22 ingredients they bleach out, before adding back in the 12.

Good, whole grain flour makes bread that is so much more nutritious.

Can't say I'd like honey with cheese, the two are so far apart flavor and texture wise.

For me, honey still in the comb is a bother. The wax comb is nothing more than a container, not something to eat. I can't imagine it is digested, so it just passed through. Eat too much and you'll end up with a wax plug.
Interestingly, while in the USA, white flour is often bleached, that's illegal in the UK, the EU, NZ and many other countries. Pure, white, high grade flour is simply high protein content pure flour, without any additives or bleaching. I'm sure whole grain flour is healthier, but 00 grade white flour has no additives.

Like this Italian flour I use for pizzas. Nothing but flour. No additives, no bleaching.

Beeswax, in small quantities is safe to eat but the body cannot process it as it requires heating to 62degC to melt and we are not nearly that warm inside! So yes, it's excreted (with a grin, as Lee Hays would say) pretty much unchanged.

White bread, with a good, aged cheddar cheese and honey is a perfect match. Try it and let me know what you think. It's almost as good as a bacon and blue cheese pizza! Almost.
05-23-2022, 04:56 AM - 1 Like   #96825
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Interestingly, while in the USA, white flour is often bleached, that's illegal in the UK, the EU, NZ and many other countries. Pure, white, high grade flour is simply high protein content pure flour, without any additives or bleaching. I'm sure whole grain flour is healthier, but 00 grade white flour has no additives.

Like this Italian flour I use for pizzas. Nothing but flour. No additives, no bleaching.

Beeswax, in small quantities is safe to eat but the body cannot process it as it requires heating to 62degC to melt and we are not nearly that warm inside! So yes, it's excreted (with a grin, as Lee Hays would say) pretty much unchanged.

White bread, with a good, aged cheddar cheese and honey is a perfect match. Try it and let me know what you think. It's almost as good as a bacon and blue cheese pizza! Almost.
Grapes and figs go well with cheese so why not honey.