Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108806 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2022, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #97576
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Bouquet, Bob. Beer with bouquet.

Unless it's Bud Light, of course.

At one time I considered making my own beer. I didn't in the end. But I went as far down the makin' my own beer road, of determining the name I would use, for my beer.

I was going to call it ' Bob's Old Peculier '....with apologies to the original...English made beer named..."Theakston's Old Peculier ". Bob being one of my names, of course.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...eAOvCjDAsbAS3B

I've never had a Theakston's old Peculier...mind you, but I came across this beer from the great adverts they used to run, in vintage British motorcycle magazines. They were funny, entertaining, some had a tie in to the Theakston's company history.

I enjoyed the Theakston's ads as they were good, had wit, and stirred up an interest in their product.

All of this is what advertising is supposed to do, but so little modern advertising does this now...as most advertising seems to be consumed with letting the world know how 'progressive' the company is.

08-06-2022, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #97577
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Interesting you mention the recent social media, which wouldn't be so prevalent without the smart phone. Imagine, every person who has one, holds the key to the collective knowledge of humanity.

Yet, every day at least two people say, "Really? I didn't know that.", or, "Are you sure?", or some permutation thereof.

All while pecking away some inane drivel on FacePlant or Twitter.

They have absolutely no clue how to leverage the power of that device in their grubby little hands.

I am not on facebook, tik tok or any of the other social medias. I was on one platform, a number of years ago...but only remained on it for about two weeks. It was truly not my scene...an old, but appropriate phrase...and I quickly got off the platform, never to return.
08-06-2022, 10:38 AM - 5 Likes   #97578
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I believe that old cows stick with the herd until the end. Bulls, of course, don't. And in a place like the Ngorongoro crater there seems to be mostly old bulls hanging around…
Sounds just like this thread, we enjoy company of likeminded souls!
08-06-2022, 07:35 PM - 2 Likes   #97579
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I am not on facebook, tik tok or any of the other social medias. I was on one platform, a number of years ago...but only remained on it for about two weeks. It was truly not my scene...an old, but appropriate phrase...and I quickly got off the platform, never to return.
My only innernet socializing is on this forum, and a few car oriented forums.

No Facebook, etc.

But.

Mom forgot the password to her computer, and her Facebook account. I figured out the passwords, specifically the Facebook one. I lurk on Facebook as mom, to spy on my kid brother.

08-06-2022, 08:34 PM - 2 Likes   #97580
Pentaxian

My only innernet socializing is on this forum, and a few car oriented forums.

No Facebook, etc.

But.

Mom forgot the password to her computer, and her Facebook account. I figured out the passwords, specifically the Facebook one. I lurk on Facebook as mom, to spy on my kid brother.
When I was on social media, for a very short time, I was astounded the kind of things people would put out to the world, a lot of it, in my humble opinion, unwise, without any seeming hesitation, or second thought.

As you, my only internet socializing I do, is the PF.
08-06-2022, 08:37 PM - 2 Likes   #97581
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Sounds just like this thread, we enjoy company of likeminded souls!
I agree.

Some, in the past, have likened it to a group of old men, sitting around a cracker barrel, in a general store....shooting the breeze...and swiping the occasional cracker out of the barrel, if the store owner's attention was momentarily diverted.
08-07-2022, 11:42 AM - 3 Likes   #97582
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've never had a Theakston's old Peculier...mind you, but I came across this beer from the great adverts they used to run, in vintage British motorcycle magazines. They were funny, entertaining, some had a tie in to the Theakston's company history.

I enjoyed the Theakston's ads as they were good, had wit, and stirred up an interest in their product.

All of this is what advertising is supposed to do, but so little modern advertising does this now...as most advertising seems to be consumed with letting the world know how 'progressive' the company is.
I remember the Guiness adverts from the 80/90s with Rutger Hauer as witty and unusual: my favourites were those with twin Rutgers:–

08-07-2022, 06:07 PM - 2 Likes   #97583
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I remember the Guiness adverts from the 80/90s with Rutger Hauer as witty and unusual: my favourites were those with twin Rutgers:–

https://youtu.be/oIXmHMLPmiM
The earth spins at 1,000 miles per hour.

Pure genius.

So I looked up the speed of earth. Of course the speed is relative to a number of factors, including one’s position of latitude relative to the equator. Nothing a bit of trigonometry can’t work out though.

There were also results to recent stories regarding the earth setting new speed records.

(Who knew they keep track of this stuff?)

Anyway, a bit from the story:

QuoteQuote:
Earth’s quickening rotation has consequences because atomic clocks—which are used in GPS satellites—don’t take into account the Earth’s changing rotation.

If Earth spins faster then it gets to the same position a little earlier. A half-a-millisecond equates to 10-inches or 26 centimetres at the equator. In short, GPS satellites—which already have to be corrected for the effect of Einstein’s general relativity theory (the curve of space and time)—are quickly going to become useless.

There are also potentially confusing consequences for smartphones, computers and communications systems, which synchronize with Network Time Protocol (NTP) servers. It’s defined as the number of seconds since 00:00:00 UTC on January 1, 1970.

To solve all this international timekeepers may need to add a negative leap second— a “drop second.” Though Earth may already be spinning as quickly as it ever will, with a slowdown inevitable.

Better set some anchors, so the extra speed can’t fling us off.
08-07-2022, 11:38 PM - 4 Likes   #97584
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bacon!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
08-08-2022, 05:04 AM - 2 Likes   #97585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quick explanation on the pig;
Son of neighbour has had this pig for years.
He used to walk it even down the main street and take it to a nursing home.
The City Council clamped down on the activity for possibly really good reasons.
(One that I would have thought appropriate would be the little piles of excrement that smell more foul than any waste product I have ever smelt.
Dog owners have to carry bags to clean up such mess, but I have never seen a waste bag in proximity of the pig, and I have on several occasions seen the result of having no bag!!)
Nevertheless the pig still gets a walk up our road regularly.
BIZARRE!!

My son and a team recently installed CCTV security cameras at the church; pig recorded walking around the church at midnight!!
BIZARRE!!
08-08-2022, 05:54 AM - 2 Likes   #97586
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Quick explanation on the pig;
Dog owners have to carry bags to clean up such mess, but I have never seen a waste bag in proximity of the pig, and I have on several occasions seen the result of having no bag!!)
Nevertheless the pig still gets a walk up our road regularly.
BIZARRE!!

My son and a team recently installed CCTV security cameras at the church; pig recorded walking around the church at midnight!!
BIZARRE!!
The RV Park where we winter is pet friendly, but owners are required to clean up after their pet - even if using the fenced dog exercise area. The seasonal residents treat the place as their home, but there are recurring problems with short-stay residents (or people who think they will be long-stay and get caught). First punishment is US$25 fine. The second punishment is "you have until tomorrow morning to leave - no refund". The RV park put up trail cameras in the areas of greatest offense. By the way, that first fine is paid to another park resident if they submit photographic evidence of the offender.

"Pet friendly" does not extend to livestock. We once had somebody tether their pet goat outside their trailer. They were politely told by the park owner the goat had to go, with or without the owners - their choice.

It has been a very busy summer. Haven't hardly had time to use a camera or get into this forum. Already looking forward to our departure south in about 3 months. No way do I want to be there right now with daytime temperatures regularly 104F/40C and greater. But I think a lot of folks will be thinking "hibernate or migrate?" this winter. Here is one forecast for the continental United States this next winter (and while not shown, for many of our Canadian friends):
Attached Images

08-08-2022, 09:33 AM - 4 Likes   #97587
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Better set some anchors, so the extra speed can’t fling us off.
The farther from the equator you get, the less the danger. Of course anyone standing on the North or South pole will need to keep their hands in their pockets so they won't be flung so violently to the side as to dislocate shoulders.
08-08-2022, 10:02 AM - 4 Likes   #97588
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Of course anyone standing on the North or South pole will need to keep their hands in their pockets so they won't be flung so violently to the side as to dislocate shoulders.
At work hands in pockets are called Boeing gloves.
08-08-2022, 11:32 AM - 3 Likes   #97589
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

At work hands in pockets are called Boeing gloves.
I've also heard pockets referred to as union gloves and managers' gloves

Last edited by Parallax; 08-08-2022 at 04:06 PM.
08-08-2022, 03:56 PM - 4 Likes   #97590
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

This is just too cool to not share.

Women are my favorite of all living things.

These two prove why they are. Women do so many awesome things, and look pretty good doing it. (Full disclosure, I think Shea, the driver, is better looking, and equally awesome)

Last edited by Racer X 69; 08-08-2022 at 04:53 PM.