Sp, so sorry, Racer.
Thank you Jim.

11-15-2022, 04:28 PM   #98702
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Oh no! I am so sorry to hear this Racer! What a senseless loss of a young life. My thoughts are with you and your family my friend.
Thanks Charlie.
11-15-2022, 10:23 PM   #98703
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I haven't been here for a while, and this is the news that's current; how sad.
I'm so sorry for you Racer.
What a waste! And it is all too common.
11-16-2022, 01:11 AM   #98704
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I’m going to miss him.
Sincere condolences to you and the family, Racer. Such sad news.

11-16-2022, 02:28 AM   #98705
Pentaxian

I'm sorry for your loss. Deepest condolences to you, Racer.
11-16-2022, 03:01 AM   #98706
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I haven't been here for a while, and this is the news that's current; how sad.
I'm so sorry for you Racer.
What a waste! And it is all too common.
Thank you Rod.
11-16-2022, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #98707
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Sincere condolences to you and the family, Racer. Such sad news.
Thanks Peter.

11-16-2022, 03:02 AM   #98708
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I'm sorry for your loss. Deepest condolences to you, Racer.
Thanks Jason.
11-17-2022, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #98709
Pentaxian

It's a re-badged ARE...ARE CX Classic is the exact same cap as the Action Contour 4. So nice to have a lockable truck bed
Back in the 1960's my dad and uncle had a company. They were manufacturer's agents for a folding RV trailer and truck caps. Darned if I can remember what makes they were.

Their work truck, was a '68 Mercury M250, bought new, with a 300 cube inline six, three on the tree. It was one of the last of the Merc trucks, as FoMoCO Canada, shut down the Mercury truck line in March, 1968, I believe.

I think a cap is a very good addition for a pickup. Being able to lock it up, is great for security.
11-17-2022, 04:27 PM - 2 Likes   #98710
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Their work truck, was a '68 Mercury M250,
When I was transferred from Alaska to South Dakota in 1978 I drove down. The Alaska Highway (AKA the ALCAN), at that time, was still mostly unpaved. About 1,000 miles of dirt road. It was quite an interesting trip. Somewhere along the way I got behind a Mercury pickup. I was fascinated. It was the first and only one I've ever seen.
11-17-2022, 05:11 PM   #98711
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
When I was transferred from Alaska to South Dakota in 1978 I drove down. The Alaska Highway (AKA the ALCAN), at that time, was still mostly unpaved. About 1,000 miles of dirt road. It was quite an interesting trip. Somewhere along the way I got behind a Mercury pickup. I was fascinated. It was the first and only one I've ever seen.
Different American cars and trucks up in Canada were quite common in the '50's and '60's. Mercury trucks, Canadian Plymouth dealers sold Fargo trucks...which were Dodge trucks with a bit different trim, badging. In fact on the family farm, we had a '48 Fargo truck, with a long box (think it was 9 feet), medium duty wheels , but designated as a one ton pickup.

Canadian market full size Pontiacs, were American style bodies, mounted on Chevy frames (no wide track up here ) and had Chevy inline sixes (in the '50's the standard motor in a Canuck Poncho was the 261 cube Chevy truck engine) and V8's...283, 327, 350, 348, 409, 396, 427, 454, etc.

My FIL had a '66 Meteor, 2 dr. hard top, with the 428 cube-345 hp V8. It looked like a full sized Mercury, with trim and badging differences. Not sure why, as full sized Mercuries were sold up here too.

Mercury also made big trucks. About 2 miles from our humble abode, is an old, shut down garden supply/ farmer's market. Inside the chain link fence is a '54 Mercury F 750 Big Job...box truck. Same as a Ford Big Job models, of that era. Talked to the old guy who owned the business about 15 years ago. He said he used it, to run down to Kennedy, Minnesota to buy potatoes...by the bulk...then sell them up in Winnipeg.
11-17-2022, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #98712
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I've never seen a Mercury truck! Google, google, where art thou?
11-17-2022, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #98713
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've never seen a Mercury truck! Google, google, where art thou?

Looks just like a Ford truck, in all the different eras from the '40's to '68, except with Mercury badging and trim differences. I still see some, especially at car shows. I was able to drive the M 250 back in '68, '69. It was a stripper, no options except for an AM radio and a block heater, this item especially necessary for Manitoba winters, where we get -35, -40.

It was powerful, but not a muscle car...it was a torque meister with that 300 cube (4.9 liter) inline Ford truck six. Beefy suspension and it was painted yellow. Back then, many, if not most trucks were trucks, plain and simple...not too much luxury. They were mostly sold to farmers, ranchers, tradespeople, utility companies, etc.

It wasn't till later that pickup trucks became regular everyday vehicles for many people. To me the change came in North America, when domestic (American) cars became smaller, V8's started to phase out in favour of smaller engines...4 bangers, sixes. Pickups became more luxurious, extended cabs, with 4 doors, deluxe seating and other accoutrements became normal for pickups, and you could get an engine with big V8 power in a pickup.

I would have a pickup, except my wife doesn't care for them, so I got the next best thing, a large, 4 door SUV, with different AWD/4WD settings, 310 hp...255/65-18 light truck tires, good ground clearance..for sometimes tough driving conditions.

BTW on the prairies we don't have much in the way of public transportation. No local passenger trains, highway buses (Greyhound pulled out of here a few years back)...and sure there are airplanes, but I'm not a fan of them.

Living in western Canada, on the prairies or great plains...we get 5.5 months of hard winter, lots of snow, ice. My wife and I make 3-4 trips per year to see family, across the lonely prairies...no matter the weather/season...and need something that has good payload (1610 pounds) , can carry a lot of cargo, handle deep snow, difficult driving conditions.

I'm an old guy and I've had my share of getting stuck in snow drifts...so I want to avoid this kind of stuff as much as I can....and I like traveling on the open road.

Didn't Dr Seuss say this, about traveling ?

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...7qGS370wSM70K-
11-18-2022, 06:45 AM - 2 Likes   #98714
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Have a great time!
And we had! Two weeks with the phone off has been really good. Mostly off the power grid, too. Flying home tomorrow, first leg on an Airbus (sorry Racer), then with a 787 from Addis. Going from about 30C here to just below 0C at home. The price for taking a break from dreary November is returning home
11-18-2022, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #98715
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I swear, doctors sit around in their spare time an dream up ways to torture their patients in the name of good health.
And then there's the annual co-convention to swap ideas with the dentists...