Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2022, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #98971
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Went to Treyvon’s memorial yesterday, and the funeral today. As he was active duty in the Army, he was given a full military ceremony, a group of soldiers from his unit, the 82nd Airborne from Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and the Chaplin from there.

Also one of the guys he went through jump school with came up for 5he funeral. They became friends when they met on their first jump. As they were in the C17 riding to the jump zone, the guy told Trey that not only was this his first jump, it was the first time he had ever been in an airplane.

Funny story.

Trey touched many lives, and everyone he met remembers him for his smile, his positive nature, his generous heart. So many of his fellow soldiers asked for leave to attend his funeral, that the senior leadership had difficulty allowing leave. They did schedule a memorial for Trey at Fort Bragg this coming Thursday for the entire group.

I may have mentioned that Trey wasn’t a blood relative, that his biological father contributed nothing more to the boy’s life than the seed that fertilized the egg, when he was hopping from one clandestine liaison to another, and impregnating Trey’s mother when she was stepping out on Mrs. Racer’s son. This loser has countless offspring, some he has never known, none that he has ever contributed more than the genesis of their lives. He has dodged the welfare agencies from a dozen jurisdictions, and somehow has managed to get by, never holding a job.

He never sent Trey a birthday card, or a Christmas gift.

He never saw him but once, when Trey was in his early teens, and Trey traveled to visit him, Trey paying for the plane ticket.

He wasn’t there when the boy was born.

My stepson raised Trey, as his own son, without Trey’s mother, whom he divorced. He was there, giving Trey a chance to have a good life, teaching him to be a good person.

So it was exceptionally difficult today, to see the soldier present the folded flag to Trey’s biological father, while the man who was the only real father Trey knew sat on the side.

We took solace knowing that we had 21 years with Trey in our lives, something that guy will never have.
Very sad Racer.

12-07-2022, 02:13 AM - 2 Likes   #98972
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think some sort of sorcery is involved.
Nothing to do with me, muggle born and bred!
12-07-2022, 02:35 AM - 2 Likes   #98973
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Went to Treyvon’s memorial yesterday, and the funeral today. As he was active duty in the Army, he was given a full military ceremony, a group of soldiers from his unit, the 82nd Airborne from Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and the Chaplin from there.

Also one of the guys he went through jump school with came up for 5he funeral. They became friends when they met on their first jump. As they were in the C17 riding to the jump zone, the guy told Trey that not only was this his first jump, it was the first time he had ever been in an airplane.

Funny story.

Trey touched many lives, and everyone he met remembers him for his smile, his positive nature, his generous heart. So many of his fellow soldiers asked for leave to attend his funeral, that the senior leadership had difficulty allowing leave. They did schedule a memorial for Trey at Fort Bragg this coming Thursday for the entire group.

I may have mentioned that Trey wasn’t a blood relative, that his biological father contributed nothing more to the boy’s life than the seed that fertilized the egg, when he was hopping from one clandestine liaison to another, and impregnating Trey’s mother when she was stepping out on Mrs. Racer’s son. This loser has countless offspring, some he has never known, none that he has ever contributed more than the genesis of their lives. He has dodged the welfare agencies from a dozen jurisdictions, and somehow has managed to get by, never holding a job.

He never sent Trey a birthday card, or a Christmas gift.

He never saw him but once, when Trey was in his early teens, and Trey traveled to visit him, Trey paying for the plane ticket.

He wasn’t there when the boy was born.

My stepson raised Trey, as his own son, without Trey’s mother, whom he divorced. He was there, giving Trey a chance to have a good life, teaching him to be a good person.

So it was exceptionally difficult today, to see the soldier present the folded flag to Trey’s biological father, while the man who was the only real father Trey knew sat on the side.

We took solace knowing that we had 21 years with Trey in our lives, something that guy will never have.
Life is bitterly unfair at times. But you had 21 years with him, which is something to be grateful for.
12-07-2022, 04:51 AM - 2 Likes   #98974
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
GASP!! Vegemite is as British as Tim Tams or peanut butter: it’s some Colonial invention and not to be mentioned with Marmite!

Worcestershire Sauce was originally marketed as a hair restorer but didn’t work (ask me how I know…) but very successfully sold as a sauce instead. We use it a lot in stews and casseroles and my wife’s best spag bol features a dollop.

Both Marmite and Worcestershire sauce are afaik the results of fermentation, but here the connection with igunaq, hakarl, kiviak, surstromming etc ends!

HP sauce … well, I remember my father using it but don’t think we’ve ever had it in our home.
But HP sauce goes well with bacon!

12-07-2022, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #98975
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
A dictum that I believe, is that you generally get what you pay for.

Proving this point is that I looked up the definition of the word 'dictum' in my copy of 'The Concise Oxford Dictionary', which I bought new, in 1979 to help me with my studies and to make slow progress towards being erudite. I've learned a lot of definitions of different words but have given up on being erudite.

We go to a deli run by a family of Ukranian descent, about 5 times a year to pick up supplies of holubchies, perogies, farmer's sausage. It is out of the way, about 20 miles of travel, but boy the taste cannot be beat. Just writing about it, I'm getting very hungry.

BTW, Charlie, you being a fellow Canadian and all...the 'Peg temps ...-35 C tonight...wind chill of -46 C. These are the temps I don't like.
Hey Bob,

Yay, a friend of mine lives in Edmonton and has been enjoying the same brutal arctic blast that you have been suffering in the Peg. Luckily, things are still quite mild here with days around zero and nights dipping down to -7 to -11. All very manageable although the gloom is killing me. I can't wait for the sunny skies of February to erupt!
12-07-2022, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #98976
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I've heard of these British 'foodstuffs' like Marmite and what was the other one...Vegemite (?). I've actually seen these British foodstuffs in their packaging, but never gone to the next step and bought some. For some reason I can't bring myself to actually buying it. It is probably very good.

My dad used to buy and absolutely love Worcestershire Sauce, also House(s) of Parliament Sauce. He would put this stuff on anything and everything. I tried it, but never was able to develop a taste for it.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...BTn70EocI02oqA
I like putting HP sauce in beef stews when making them. Give them a nice deep flavour.
12-07-2022, 05:50 AM   #98977
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You're welcome...beautiful spot; I may have to include it in my Maritime visit one year down the road.

12-07-2022, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #98978
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Our frost free freezer consumes the ice from the ice maker. We keep plastic drink bottles with water in the freezer, frozen for the times when the power goes out, to help keep the food longer. The frost free feature consumes the ice, at some point completely emptying them. Anything frozen that has moisture ultimately becomes freeze dried.

This trough sealed plastic containers.

I think the occasional defrost of a regular freezer is a small price to pay for frozen food that doesn’t get dried to nothing.
I love my vacuum bagger. It has saved us a fortune in spoiled food over the years.
12-07-2022, 06:00 AM - 2 Likes   #98979
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is so sad and so terribly familiar. Ms CharLac raised her daughter alone and her daughter has requested that her Mom walk her up the aisle next year at her wedding. Her Dad will be miffed but you reap what you sow.

So sorry to you and your family; sounds like he was one of the good ones.
12-07-2022, 06:06 AM - 2 Likes   #98980
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Be sure and get a Pentax one.
I heard that Ricoh makes a nice one ;-)
12-07-2022, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #98981
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
But HP sauce goes well with bacon!
But why would you want to sully the taste of bacon with Anything! Bacon stands alone and snuggled up to eggs, and tomato, and...oh, never mind, HP sauce too!
12-07-2022, 06:15 AM - 1 Like   #98982
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I think I mentioned I've joined the local carpentry club and have been enjoying the fabulous workshop I now have access to. My latest side project while I work on our pantry; a xmas gift for my fisherman son.
Attached Images

12-07-2022, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #98983
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Yep

That's about a years worth for me. ............................ yummmmmm
I've tried Vegemite and Marmite. 12 jars would certainly last me a year. The only dilemma would be what to do with the 11¾ jars that would be left over at the end of the year.
12-07-2022, 08:48 AM   #98984
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I've tried Vegemite and Marmite. 12 jars would certainly last me a year. The only dilemma would be what to do with the 11¾ jars that would be left over at the end of the year.
Yes
I can understand that with the Marmite.
12-07-2022, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #98985
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Umm... down the toilet like the first 1/4?