Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2022, 07:05 PM - 2 Likes   #99001
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I forgot to add I practically grew up on Marmite on toast!
Congrats on post 99000, Mark!

12-07-2022, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #99002
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bspn Quote
Congrats on post 99000, Mark!
Ha! Will you look at that. I did not even notice. 1,000 to go! (Make that 998!)
12-07-2022, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #99003
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Ha! Will you look at that. I did not even notice. 1,000 to go! (Make that 998!)
You've got 831 to go to match both you're 10,000 and 100,000 for the thread
12-07-2022, 10:43 PM - 1 Like   #99004
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
I love my vacuum bagger. It has saved us a fortune in spoiled food over the years.
We found a Zwilling vacuum pack product. Glass bases with sealing lids and a pump, rechargeable by usb, which is very good for things like berries that are vulnerable to crushing.

Has worked well for the year we have had it.
They also have bags and wine bottle stoppers that help in those uses.

See, I am not always grumpy.

12-07-2022, 10:44 PM - 3 Likes   #99005
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
I heard that Ricoh makes a nice one ;-)
Did you read post 1 on page 1 of THE THREAD.
12-07-2022, 10:46 PM   #99006
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I've tried Vegemite and Marmite. 12 jars would certainly last me a year. The only dilemma would be what to do with the 11¾ jars that would be left over at the end of the year.
Use them through the remaining years of the next two decades.
12-07-2022, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #99007
Pentaxian

Actually, no. One of them I rather liked but I can't remember which one. One was much thicker than the other and it was pretty good. Not something I ate often but liked it once in a while just for something completely different than anything else.
Vegemite is the harder one. Marmite is rather gooey.

12-07-2022, 10:49 PM   #99008
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
"Poking your eyes out with a two-pronged fork is just as painful as poking them out with a three-pronged one."

Why did you take action to get empirical evidence to support that assertion?
12-07-2022, 10:51 PM   #99009
Pentaxian

I've always known they must have some role in the overall scheme of things.
Oh, wait. it's made from vegans, and vegans are animals then it's not vegan, or, it is vegan but cannot be eaten by vegans because it contains vegans?!?!

Now my brain hurts.
Panadol is needed. Not addictive.
12-07-2022, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #99010
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
… See, I am not always grumpy.
Noted, and welcomed!

The occultation of Mars by the Moon was this morning and I had decided not to get up before 5 for it but to stay in bed. On getting up at 6 I was pleasantly surprised to see both a clear sky and no Mars, it being still hidden by the Moon, so got to see it reappear shortly after. I saw Venus occulted one winter evening many years ago, so that’s two off the bucket list!

Looks like another windscreen to scrape before work, it’s frosty outside…
12-08-2022, 12:24 AM   #99011
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Well, I do hope you're stocked up ready for Christmas.
Oh no! I completely forgot!

Maybe next year...

QuoteQuote:
That research paper strikes me as an ideal candidate for an IgNobel Prize.
That was my first thought, too. So much so that I suspect that a potential IgNobel is no small part of the motivation behind the writing of it. Yeah, I know, very cynical of me
12-08-2022, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #99012
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's an AI's take on lutefisk. The "intelligence" part of it is a tad lacking, though, as I had to specifically ask for the addition of bacon and geitost

"Lutefisk is a traditional Scandinavian dish that has been around for centuries. It's made from dried, salted whitefish (traditionally cod) that is soaked in lye and then boiled. This delicacy is high in protein and low in fat, making it an excellent choice for those looking to make healthier food choices. Lutefisk also has a unique flavor that many people enjoy due to its combination of salty and sweet notes. Additionally, it can be cooked in various ways such as steamed or baked with butter or cream sauce. Finally, lutefisk is often served with sides like mashed potatoes or boiled vegetables which makes for a balanced meal option! Adding bacon to lutefisk is a great way to add flavor and crunch. The salty, smoky flavor of the bacon pairs perfectly with the mild fish and creamy sauce. It also helps make the dish more filling, so it’s a great option for those looking for a heartier meal. Geitost, which is a Norwegian goat cheese also adds an interesting flavor to lutefisk. The creamy texture and sweet-salty taste of the cheese complements the fish perfectly and gives it a unique twist."
12-08-2022, 03:45 AM - 2 Likes   #99013
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh dear... This AI thing is obviously a good deal more intelligent than I gave it credit for. I asked it to "describe user savoche on the pentaxforums web site", and my oh my did it describe user savoche

"User savoche is a highly respected and active member of the PentaxForums website. He has been an active contributor to the forum since 2006, and he has posted over 10,000 times on topics related to photography, digital cameras, lenses, accessories and more. He is well-known for his expertise in all things related to Pentax cameras and lenses. His posts are always informative, helpful and friendly."

Ok, it got the year wrong. And omitting this thread is a grave oversight. But apart from that I'd say it's pretty much spot on!

"...well-known for his expertise...", yeah, that's what I am above all else.

But really, it could have included "insanely humble" in there...
12-08-2022, 06:10 AM - 2 Likes   #99014
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Here's an AI's take on lutefisk. The "intelligence" part of it is a tad lacking, though, as I had to specifically ask for the addition of bacon and geitost

"Lutefisk is a traditional Scandinavian dish that has been around for centuries. It's made from dried, salted whitefish (traditionally cod) that is soaked in lye and then boiled. This delicacy is …
A delicacy is something that has been traditionally eaten, not something you’d necessarily like. So, lutefisk, pig’s trotters, sheep’s eyeballs (and other round animal bits), tripe, Vegemite, celery etc. In contrast, there are things you’d think would be repulsive but are actually delicious, like raw oysters, blue cheese, plain chocolate etc. Phooey to AI.

Thankfully there is also bacon.
12-08-2022, 06:17 AM   #99015
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Vegemite is the harder one. Marmite is rather gooey.
Okay, then it was the Vegemite that I liked. I was thinking that was the one but it's been a while and I couldn't remember for sure.