Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2023, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #99511
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I haven't worn a wristwatch since I was 19 or 20. I kept tearing them off my wrist, getting caught on stuff while I was working or playing. I switched to pocket watches, and carried one almost continuously until I realized I was carrying one in my cell phone, and it never required winding.

That's just mean.

Even though dad was in the Navy for 20 years, and everything happens in 24 hour time in the Navy, I never learned it. I mean, I know how it works, and I know how to convert from 12 to 24, but I'm lazy and don't care if it is 19:30 hours.

I'll probably be sleeping anyway.

I struggle to know that 18:00 is 6:00 pm.

Don't complicate things by making me try to use two different systems for telling time.

I ain't got no time for that!
Same here. My dad was in the Canadian Army and Royal Canadian Navy in WW2. When he became a civvy, he returned to civvy time.

01-27-2023, 04:33 PM   #99512
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Good use of an old license plate. I've never seen a badly rusted..or rusted through plate. Must be treated with something these plates ? I think up here, we have had the same provincial plate since '99 or so. I think my vehicle's plate dates back to this, as I've just removed the same old plate off the previous vehicle and put the same plate, on our new vehicle.

It makes it easy to remember.

In fact when I picked up the original plate...back in the previous century...from an insurance agency, they had a box of the newly introduced plates in their office. I asked them if they had a particular series of three numbers, in a specific order. They did, and I took the plates. We have to put two plates on, one on the back, one on the front of the vehicle.

The numbers I was able to get, were the same as the cubic centimeters of one of my motorcycle's engine displacement. I just had to remember the three letters in front of the three numbers.
In Michigan, for many decades they would issue a new plate design every year, now multiple designs are available for more than a single year. You must replace a plate that is ten years old. 'Vanity' or personalized plates are available using letters, numbers and spaces, as long as it is unique, not been issued on the plate style, and isn't offensive to anyone. There are also plates featuring University logos, special interests, Veterans, POWs, etc. For those a fee is added to what a standard plate would cost, based on vehicle value and or weight.

I was able to transfer the plate from my recently traded in pick-up to my new one and the standard at the time of three letters, three digits ie ABC 123 and the letters BFT go well with my Blue Ford Truck.

But I digress, the fun thing with the Birdhouse Roof plate is it was also the three letters - three digits style, and the letters phonetically sound out the first name of giver of the birdhouse to us.
01-27-2023, 07:45 PM - 2 Likes   #99513
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use an Italian made shaving soap. Previously for about a year I was using a shaving creme , out of a pressurized can, as it was easy, didn't have to use my shaving brush, to stir up a lather.

A couple of months ago, I was ready to buy some more of the spray cans...and was shocked...I say absolutely shocked ...at how the price had shot up...in about 18 months. I usually bought about three cans at a time. I figured that it was a rip off, and I would drop the brand, which I did.

I have returned to my previous, more traditional way of shaving... using my safety razor, a German made Muhle, using Japanese made Feather razors, and Italian made shaving soap, lathered with an Italian made shaving brush, using a Canadian made shaving cup.

Better shave, although it takes me longer.
A good shave is always worth the extra time and effort.

One of the guys on my crew in 767 Forward Bodies uses the Old Spice crème that comes in a tube.

He is also a bit of a, um, well, he plays the field, wink, wink.

Anyway, a recent Saturday morning he had gotten up, and was fixing breakfast, when the young lady (I use that term loosely) came stumbling into the kitchen, nekkid, with a toothbrush in her hand, and a foamy mouth, complaining that the Old Spice toothpaste tasted like #$&% (a lady shouldn’t talk like that).

He said he got a good laugh, but that didn’t go over so well with his overnight guest.
01-27-2023, 08:10 PM - 2 Likes   #99514
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Good use of an old license plate. I've never seen a badly rusted..or rusted through plate. Must be treated with something these plates ? I think up here, we have had the same provincial plate since '99 or so. I think my vehicle's plate dates back to this, as I've just removed the same old plate off the previous vehicle and put the same plate, on our new vehicle.

It makes it easy to remember.

In fact when I picked up the original plate...back in the previous century...from an insurance agency, they had a box of the newly introduced plates in their office. I asked them if they had a particular series of three numbers, in a specific order. They did, and I took the plates. We have to put two plates on, one on the back, one on the front of the vehicle.

The numbers I was able to get, were the same as the cubic centimeters of one of my motorcycle's engine displacement. I just had to remember the three letters in front of the three numbers.
QuoteOriginally posted by bspn Quote
In Michigan, for many decades they would issue a new plate design every year, now multiple designs are available for more than a single year. You must replace a plate that is ten years old. 'Vanity' or personalized plates are available using letters, numbers and spaces, as long as it is unique, not been issued on the plate style, and isn't offensive to anyone. There are also plates featuring University logos, special interests, Veterans, POWs, etc. For those a fee is added to what a standard plate would cost, based on vehicle value and or weight.

I was able to transfer the plate from my recently traded in pick-up to my new one and the standard at the time of three letters, three digits ie ABC 123 and the letters BFT go well with my Blue Ford Truck.

But I digress, the fun thing with the Birdhouse Roof plate is it was also the three letters - three digits style, and the letters phonetically sound out the first name of giver of the birdhouse to us.
License plates.

I may have mentioned it before, if so, my apologies, but I am a license plate collector. Member of ALPCA the Automobile License Plate Collectors Association, member 8426 (I am the 8,426th member to join. I joined in the late 1990s, but have collected license plates since I was a teenager. They are on cars, and cars have always been a primary interest (I may have also mentioned my modest car and tractor collection a time or three), so license plates, eh?

The ALPCA website has an extensive archive of license plates from around the world (member access only), compiled from photographs from many member’s collections, along with extensive details regarding variations in registrations and uses.

Regarding the use of expired plates for ants and crafts, I have mixed feelings.

Used plates from general passenger car registrations, that aren’t from an older era that may have historic value, meh. A dime a dozen, and often wind up in the scrap heap. So why not get a second use from them?

But any plate that has historic significance, or is of a type that people like me would collect (I like municipal, law enforcement, government, and personalized plates of any era, old porcelain plates, leather plates, plates from any foreign country, any type or vintage, and plates from my birth year, 1956. Obviously I would prefer to not see plates in this group destroyed in the name of arts and crafts.

That said, I’ve pulled a few license plates off of old farm buildings, that had been used to cover knotholes or splice cracked boards, or used as shingles.

01-28-2023, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #99515
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rest easy, Racer, it was a common variety plate. I fully understand plates with collector value should not necessarily be 'recycled' or repurposed. I am not a plate collector per se, but I have some plates that have not been discarded, somewhere. When I locate them I'll see if any go back to '56, but I doubt it. I understand at some point they began an annual ranking for US state plate designs? I heard the Michigan 1976 bi-centennial 'flag' plate was awarded best in some ranking that year. I always found it odd - strange that in California, the plate was assigned to the vehicle, not the owner.
01-28-2023, 11:47 AM - 2 Likes   #99516
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
... he had gotten up, and was fixing breakfast, when the young lady (I use that term loosely) came stumbling into the kitchen, nekkid, with a toothbrush in her hand, and a foamy mouth, complaining that the Old Spice toothpaste tasted like #$&% (a lady shouldn’t talk like that).

He said he got a good laugh, but that didn’t go over so well with his overnight guest.
Someone I knew once brushed his teeth with shaving soap and shaved with toothpaste – and didn't notice the difference!
01-28-2023, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #99517
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Rest easy, Racer, it was a common variety plate. I fully understand plates with collector value should not necessarily be 'recycled' or repurposed. I am not a plate collector per se, but I have some plates that have not been discarded, somewhere. When I locate them I'll see if any go back to '56, but I doubt it. I understand at some point they began an annual ranking for US state plate designs? I heard the Michigan 1976 bi-centennial 'flag' plate was awarded best in some ranking that year. I always found it odd - strange that in California, the plate was assigned to the vehicle, not the owner.
Most jurisdictions issue the license plate to the vehicle, as part of the vehicle registration. Should a vehicle remain in use and registered long enough, the issuing authority will periodically issue new plates at renewal time.

I was aware that Massachusetts is one that assigns license plates to the registered owner, rather than the vehicle specifically, and that plate follows the owner as vehicles are sold and the owner moves to another vehicle. Odd practice to me. Especially in a state that uses corrosive deicing material in winter. Every few years the plate owners must get new plates.

So Michigan does that too?

Oh, and you just reminded me of other plate types I collect. Bicentennial plates, booster plates, special issue graphics, National Guard plates, and Washington DC inaugural issues.

01-28-2023, 02:50 PM - 2 Likes   #99518
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Buyer of a vehicle obtains a registration and plate for that vehicle. The registration is renewed annually, typically on owner's birthday and a sticker is applied to the plate. When the vehicle is sold, seller removes the plate, and unless transferring it to another vehicle, it is essentially obsolete. My recent sale (trade in) of a 2006 pickup when I bought a new 2023 pickup allowed me to transfer the plate from one to the other. So I guess you could say the plate is assigned to a vehicle, until it isn't.

I recently learned one cannot be a registered owner of a vehicle in Michigan unless they are also a licensed driver. Had to sell Mom's car when she gave up driving, and her license.

Way back, Michigan required two plates on on the front and another on the rear of the vehicle. As a cost saving measure, only the rear plate is now required.

As far back as I can remember, plates were, and still are made in the state's largest prison by inmates.

I probably have one of the bicentennial 'flag' plates if you don't already have one.
01-28-2023, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #99519
Pentaxian

Similar deal here, as far plates go. Personal plates, etc. If our plate is to the point that it would be hard for the eye of a policeman to read, then we have to replace both our plates (front and back) with new plates . We used to have only a rear plate, but the last time around (1999) it was decided that by the province that both a front and rear plate were needed.

Bugs me, as I like to go to car shows, and every custom, hot rod, special interest car/truck has a plate...for example despoiling the look of that hot rod icon...the '32 Ford . . Classic beauty of a design, what with all the pillars in the grille, that looked like Ford may have got the idea from the ancient Greeks *...but in Mb.... marred by a license plate.

* Mark Jerling the Ford guy would know if the '32 Ford Grille was designed by either Henry Ford hisself, a Ford stylist or the ancient Greeks.
01-28-2023, 03:06 PM   #99520
Pentaxian

Buyer of a vehicle obtains a registration and plate for that vehicle. The registration is renewed annually, typically on owner's birthday and a sticker is applied to the plate. When the vehicle is sold, seller removes the plate, and unless transferring it to another vehicle, it is essentially obsolete. My recent sale (trade in) of a 2006 pickup when I bought a new 2023 pickup allowed me to transfer the plate from one to the other. So I guess you could say the plate is assigned to a vehicle, until it isn't.

I recently learned one cannot be a registered owner of a vehicle in Michigan unless they are also a licensed driver. Had to sell Mom's car when she gave up driving, and her license.

Way back, Michigan required two plates on on the front and another on the rear of the vehicle. As a cost saving measure, only the rear plate is now required.

As far back as I can remember, plates were, and still are made in the state's largest prison by inmates.

I probably have one of the bicentennial 'flag' plates if you don't already have one.

I have wondered if plates were made by prisoners out here, as they used to be.
01-28-2023, 03:10 PM   #99521
Pentaxian

Most jurisdictions issue the license plate to the vehicle, as part of the vehicle registration. Should a vehicle remain in use and registered long enough, the issuing authority will periodically issue new plates at renewal time.

I was aware that Massachusetts is one that assigns license plates to the registered owner, rather than the vehicle specifically, and that plate follows the owner as vehicles are sold and the owner moves to another vehicle. Odd practice to me. Especially in a state that uses corrosive deicing material in winter. Every few years the plate owners must get new plates.

Oh, and you just reminded me of other plate types I collect. Bicentennial plates, booster plates, special issue graphics, National Guard plates, and Washington DC inaugural issues.
I'm not sure how the UK issues plates, or if they remain the property of the person who bought the license plate originally...until ?

I do get a couple of British vintage car and / or motorcycle magazines and I have seen adverts, ever so often, that have a page listing interesting plate letters/numbers for sale, some of the prices seem very high.

Maybe a knowledgeable Brit out there in the Pentax forum, could elucidate this matter.
01-28-2023, 03:12 PM   #99522
Pentaxian

What 2023 pickup/ engine, etc. did you get ? What 2006 ? truck did you trade in ?
01-28-2023, 03:13 PM   #99523
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Someone I knew once brushed his teeth with shaving soap and shaved with toothpaste – and didn't notice the difference!

That person may have noticed the difference, if he continued this practice for any length of time.
01-28-2023, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #99524
Pentaxian

License plates.

I may have mentioned it before, if so, my apologies, but I am a license plate collector. Member of ALPCA the Automobile License Plate Collectors Association, member 8426 (I am the 8,426th member to join. I joined in the late 1990s, but have collected license plates since I was a teenager. They are on cars, and cars have always been a primary interest (I may have also mentioned my modest car and tractor collection a time or three), so license plates, eh?

The ALPCA website has an extensive archive of license plates from around the world (member access only), compiled from photographs from many member’s collections, along with extensive details regarding variations in registrations and uses.

Regarding the use of expired plates for ants and crafts, I have mixed feelings.

Used plates from general passenger car registrations, that aren’t from an older era that may have historic value, meh. A dime a dozen, and often wind up in the scrap heap. So why not get a second use from them?

But any plate that has historic significance, or is of a type that people like me would collect (I like municipal, law enforcement, government, and personalized plates of any era, old porcelain plates, leather plates, plates from any foreign country, any type or vintage, and plates from my birth year, 1956. Obviously I would prefer to not see plates in this group destroyed in the name of arts and crafts.

That said, I’ve pulled a few license plates off of old farm buildings, that had been used to cover knotholes or splice cracked boards, or used as shingles.

I wished I had kept my license plate for my very first car...the car was a 1961 VW Deluxe, Type 1...or beetle as it would be commonly known. I still recall the plate number...CW44. This would of been 1967. I had four motorcycles before I got my first car....and I had been riding motorcycles/driving cars since 1965.

CW44...two letters, two numbers....back in the mid '60's the province didn't have anywhere near the number of vehicles to license...as evidenced by this four figure plate of 1967.

Racer, what is your oldest plate, where is it from and what is your most prized...or most interesting plate in your collection ?

Any stories about behind the plates...or how you acquired them ?
01-28-2023, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #99525
Pentaxian

A good shave is always worth the extra time and effort.

One of the guys on my crew in 767 Forward Bodies uses the Old Spice crème that comes in a tube.

He is also a bit of a, um, well, he plays the field, wink, wink.

Anyway, a recent Saturday morning he had gotten up, and was fixing breakfast, when the young lady (I use that term loosely) came stumbling into the kitchen, nekkid, with a toothbrush in her hand, and a foamy mouth, complaining that the Old Spice toothpaste tasted like #$&% (a lady shouldn’t talk like that).

I've never used my Italian Poraso shaving soap, for brushing my teeth. But I highly recommend it as a shaving lather, and use it daily with my safety razor.

Proraso White Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin with Green Tea and Oatme ? Fendrihan Canada

Muhle R41 Tooth Comb Double-Edge Safety Razor ? Fendrihan Canada