Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2023, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #99556
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Kills me when someone who gets 50Mbps throughput complains when it drops to 5Mbps.

My best this evening is 3.11Mbps download, 0.33Mbps upload.

That is ADSL.

The fiber stops about a mile from the house.

The carrier refuses to run that last mile of fiber.
I had a similar problem Racer, stuck with no fibre, adsl and on satellite with our government supplied internet system , then along came Elon and Starlink, 100Gig up to 250Gig downloads, streaming services, fast loading web pages, just a game changer for me, well worth the extra dollars per month

01-31-2023, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #99557
Pentaxian

OK, we're in West London, but we got a coax cable connection to the house in the early/mid 1990's with a "glorious" 256kbs connection - and now the "basic" level of 125Mbs download/20Mbs upload down the same cable (newer & different kit at either end, obviously!) and could get much faster if I needed/wanted to pay for it (neither of which is necessary).

Last edited by jeallen01; 01-31-2023 at 12:34 PM.
01-31-2023, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #99558
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if this is a case of the tail wagging the dog?
Post of the day!
01-31-2023, 01:12 PM   #99559
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
I had a similar problem Racer, stuck with no fibre, adsl and on satellite with our government supplied internet system , then along came Elon and Starlink, 100Gig up to 250Gig downloads, streaming services, fast loading web pages, just a game changer for me, well worth the extra dollars per month
I wish.

We can get Hughes Net, but it is expensive, has bandwidth and throughput limitations, and the cost goes up dramatically when one exceeds the limits. Plus, you have to lease their equipment. A neighbor had it, and ditched it because of the costs.

Starlink still is unavailable on the West coast (Washington, Oregon and California) according to the website, but "planned expansion, 2023!"

In fact, most of the US is still not served.

And the cost.

$600 for the equipment.

$110 a month, once the service is available.

$99 deposit now, with no firm date on availability.

Sheesh!

01-31-2023, 01:23 PM   #99560
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

From the Starlink website:

QuoteQuote:
"Efficient ion thrusters, powered by krypton, enable Starlink satellites to orbit raise, maneuver in space, and deorbit at the end of their useful life. Starlink is the first krypton propelled spacecraft ever flown."
I guess this means Superman won't be able to save the world when bag guy nogoodnicks try to take over the world using them, eh?
01-31-2023, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #99561
Pentaxian

From the Starlink website:

I guess this means Superman won't be able to save the world when bag guy nogoodnicks try to take over the world using them, eh?
Boris and Natasha will be safe, if they can avoid the squirrel.

My step-son has starlink. But the only time we need extra bandwidth is when he visits. He and his GF are gamers.
01-31-2023, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #99562
Loyal Site Supporter

Starlink still is unavailable on the West coast (Washington, Oregon and California) according to the website, but "planned expansion, 2023!"

In fact, most of the US is still not served.

And the cost.

$600 for the equipment.

$110 a month, once the service is available.

$99 deposit now, with no firm date on availability.

Sheesh!
Ouch, but it is great, here in Oz I paid $950 and $135 a month, fortunately I can justify the cost as the previous system was 80 a month and not working to deliver what I needed, now they are charging 450 for the equipment and 2 free months, , I would pay the waiting fee and get on board when it becomes available, my 2c

02-02-2023, 12:02 AM   #99563
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hear ye, hear ye, there are people here who want to see your stories.
02-02-2023, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #99564
Pentaxian

6 hours and no-one heard me.

Note to self - shout louder.
02-02-2023, 07:47 AM   #99565
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
6 hours and no-one heard me.

Note to self - shout louder.
I don't know what it means, and can't be bothered trying to go back though the thread to figure it out. I did read the comment, nothing came to mind. Whether that's a commentary on my mind or your comment I don't know.
02-02-2023, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #99566
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Today is Groundhog Day.

GROUNDHOG DAY - February 2, 2023 - National Today

Apparently Punksutawney Phil saw his shadow, so don’t put the warm winter garb away just yet.
02-02-2023, 01:00 PM   #99567
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't know what it means, and can't be bothered trying to go back though the thread to figure it out. I did read the comment, nothing came to mind. Whether that's a commentary on my mind or your comment I don't know.
By the time you saw that comment you would have seen the only other related comment in the thread. It was the one I put up immediately before, which had had no other post after it. And I put the first of my two there because we had gone quite a long time without any posts.

I used the medieval allusion of "hear ye" of the town crier, just as a bit of humour.

Then, after there was no reply I thought the problem was I needed to shout louder (use ALLCAPS, or a BIG font).
02-02-2023, 01:04 PM   #99568
Pentaxian

Today is Groundhog Day.

GROUNDHOG DAY - February 2, 2023 - National Today

Apparently Punksutawney Phil saw his shadow, so don’t put the warm winter garb away just yet.
I saw groundhog day on the TV news a couple of times. I have travelled to the land of the stars and stripes quite a few times and sometimes got to see TV.

A couple of old fellas in greatcoats came out and looked at some rodent in the snow and mumbled a bit, which was totally incomprehensible. The commentators then did an interpretation. And the photography was so amateurish that you could not see whether there was a shadow or not.
02-02-2023, 01:10 PM   #99569
Pentaxian

Yesterday morning the technician came and had a look at my internet.

He hooked up his instruments and did not see an obvious fault. Then he went down the street, about 1/4 mile to the fibre to copper cabinet. Along the way there were a few junction pits. He looked in each of them and apparently found several loose connections and after an hour said he had fixed it. Fast.com says it is working at the contract speed. And it feels like it as a user.
02-02-2023, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #99570
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Hear ye, hear ye, there are people here who want to see your stories.
I was notified that I have documented work related hearing loss (13%) last year at the annual Big Shed Hearing Test Cattle Call (they have to test all 45,000 employees in Everett every year, so there is a semi trailer configured with multiple hearing test booths, totally soundproofed, and a dozen people are tested simultaneously), so I'm having trouble hearing these days.

Sorry, eh?