Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2023, 08:26 AM - 2 Likes   #100081
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
By the way, the ten cents a mile that Carolina Cargo paid was for the team, and was split between the two drivers.

The forty five cents a mile (and oversize bump) that I was paid, wasn’t split between anyone, save for the bit that went to my rich uncle in Washington DC.

03-25-2023, 09:57 AM   #100082
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Les

The Holden Statesman chassis ( a stretched Commodore ) was used and sent to the US police dept for evaluation, ( I believe they where very popular by the officers racing to the lot to be first in for there shift ).
What is used now I have no idea the plants were closed down in Aus and the prod lines taken to America ?.
A sore point by us locals .... the local plants did not loose money ... but were still closed.
No, the prod lines were not taken to North America, as far as I know. There are no rear wheel drive GM sedans currently produced. Even the last of the large GM sedans...which were front wheel drive..Impala, Buick LaCrosse...were shut down last year, I believe.

BTW the Impala and the LaCrosse were really good, comfortable 4 door sedans, both equipped with the DOHC, 60 degree 3.6 liter V6, which in this guise punched out around 305-310 HP...fuel injection only, not turbo charged.

I read a road test of the Buick LaCrosse and the 1/4 mile time was 14.01 seconds or so...101.5 mph...0-60 mph...5.6 seconds. Pretty good acceleration for a large luxury car.

But as good as these cars are/were, I still would rather have a large rear wheel drive, sedan.
03-25-2023, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #100083
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
By the way, the ten cents a mile that Carolina Cargo paid was for the team, and was split between the two drivers.

The forty five cents a mile (and oversize bump) that I was paid, wasn’t split between anyone, save for the bit that went to my rich uncle in Washington DC.
We have some relatives like your rich uncle in Washington, DC.

In fact I see a couple of them met up in Ottawa the past couple of days.
03-25-2023, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #100084
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Never heard those two.

:cheesy:

You left out Werner, based in Nebraska.

WERNER = We employ retards, no experience required....

...Carolina Cargo was known as the only carrier that would employ a driver with a felony record. The company was jokingly known as Carolina Criminals.
From time to time another haulier "distinguishes" itself on our roads. I vividly remember a wall of steel chasing me four miles at 60mph+ on country roads when I was driving a panel van and later heard their drivers were being stopped on sight and the rigs meticulously checked by our boys in blue. Not long after they disappeared for good: whether bought over or bust I never heard, but they weren't missed.

03-25-2023, 12:23 PM   #100085
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
From time to time another haulier "distinguishes" itself on our roads. I vividly remember a wall of steel chasing me four miles at 60mph+ on country roads when I was driving a panel van and later heard their drivers were being stopped on sight and the rigs meticulously checked by our boys in blue. Not long after they disappeared for good: whether bought over or bust I never heard, but they weren't missed.
Close down one company name and start another.
03-25-2023, 01:37 PM   #100086
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never heard those two.

:cheesy:

You left out Werner, based in Nebraska.

WERNER = We employ retards, no experience required.

Of course there is also CRST, originally a flatbed carrier out of Iowa. The carrier originally served the manufacturing industrial complex in the rust belt, and CRST stood for Cedar Rapids Steel Transport. Today, the carrier has few flatbed rigs, instead running a medium sized fleet of dry vans, hauling anything that can be crammed into a trailer. They only run teams, pay mileage at the lowest rate in the business, and have some of the most poorly maintained trucks in the industry.

And I can’t neglect to mention Carolina Cargo, a small dry van carrier out of Rock Hill, South Carolina. When I was driving for Smokey Point Distributing hauling high dollar aerospace loads, Carolina Cargo was paying ten cents a mile to teams (I was getting forty five cents a mile, and up to sixteen cents a mile for oversized loads, and wasn’t being forced to run a team). The story was, they would employ anyone with a pulse, no matter their history. The FMCSA rules generally make difficult, if not impossible, to get a CDL, and be insured, if a person has any felony convictions. Carolina Cargo was known as the only carrier that would employ a driver with a felony record. The company was jokingly known as Carolina Criminals.
Hey Racer, maybe you know the answer to this. When we were travelling, New York all the way to Texas, we noticed that the vast majority of licence plates on 18 wheelers were from Maine. Any idea why? Good tax breaks for trucking companies there?
03-25-2023, 04:21 PM - 2 Likes   #100087
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Hey Racer, maybe you know the answer to this. When we were travelling, New York all the way to Texas, we noticed that the vast majority of licence plates on 18 wheelers were from Maine. Any idea why? Good tax breaks for trucking companies there?
Maine? Got me. It was my observation that truck licensing was dependent on what area the truck(s) were primarily operated in, and the location of the carrier's primary business location. For instance, the carrier I drove for, Smokey Point Distributing, is based in Arlington, Washington, and all of their trucks are licensed in Washington state, even though they operate in all of the Lower 48 and all Canadian provinces.

There are places where licensing heavy trucks is lower cost, but I wouldn't hazard a guess where.

All heavy trucks used in interstate commerce in the US and Canada are required to pay fuel mile taxes for every jurisdiction they operate in. Fuel isn't taxed at the pump like it is for cars. Look at the side of the cab, or on the door, and you'll see a sticker, with IFTA (International Fuel Tax Agreement), the year the sticker if valid for, and an outline of the state or province, and some other stuff.

The sticker is issued when the operator of the truck pays the fuel taxes for each state or province they operate in, based on reported miles operated in those jurisdictions.

03-25-2023, 04:49 PM - 4 Likes   #100088
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
I just realized, you may have not noticed that the plates were on trailers, not tractors. There is a difference, as trailers are registered and licensed separately from the tractors.

I did a search and see that Maine is one of the lowest cost places to register and license heavy trucks, but Indiana actually has a higher number of trucks licensed at around 275,000 registered.

Maine does offer low cost registration of trailers over 2,000 lbs, $20 a year, or $40 for two years. Of the estimated 1.1 million semi trailers registered in Maine, only about 26,000 are actually kept there. Also note that Maine doesn't license semi trailers based on the weight they carry, only charging a flat rate.Most other states have a sliding scale based on the maximum weight the trailer is licensed to carry.

Arkansas charges $1,350 a year to license a trailer to carry up to 80,000 lbs.

Indiana gets $228 annually for trailers greater than 22,000 pounds, and $1,692 for the tractor to pull it. Indiana is at the center of manufacturing and industry in North America, and has several major interstates that connect it with everywhere, which explains the high number of truck registrations there.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 03-25-2023 at 10:10 PM.
03-25-2023, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #100089
Pentaxian

I just realized, you may have not notices that the plates were on trailers, not tractors. There is a difference, as trailers are registered and licensed separately from the tractors.

I did a search and see that Maine is one of the lowest cost places to register and license heavy trucks, but Indiana actually has a higher number of trucks licensed at around 275,000 registered.

Maine does offer low cost registration of trailers over 2,000 lbs, $20 a year, or $40 for two years. Of the estimated 1.1 million semi trailers registered in Maine, only about 26,000 are actually kept there. Also note that Maine doesn't license semi trailers based on the weight they carry, only charging a flat rate.Most other states have a sliding scale based on the maximum weight the trailer is licensed to carry.

Arkansas charges $1,350 a year to license a trailer to carry up to 80,000 lbs.

Indiana gets $228 annually for trailers greater than 22,000 pounds, and $1,692 for the tractor to pull it. Indiana is at the center of manufacturing and industry in North America, and has several major interstates that connect it with everywhere, which explains the high number of truck registrations there.
Out here all the U-Haul trucks, trailers...have Arizona plates, even though they are situated in the province of Manitoba. Over the years I have wondered about that, but your explanation about licensing, would seem to be the reason.
03-25-2023, 10:17 PM   #100090
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Same thing used to happen in Australia. There were some country towns where the average truck ownership was more than one per resident but there was no where to park them all except literally along the road side.
03-25-2023, 10:44 PM - 2 Likes   #100091
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Been 7 years since our hero, @pentaxdude has graced us with his presence.

He missed the 100,000 post celebration.

Will he ever come by again?
03-26-2023, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #100092
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And did he appreciate what he was starting all those years ago???

Last edited by StiffLegged; 03-26-2023 at 02:15 AM.
03-26-2023, 06:11 AM   #100093
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Been 7 years since our hero, @pentaxdude has graced us with his presence.

He missed the 100,000 post celebration.

Will he ever come by again?
I doubt it. I believe he died a few years ago. There was a post about it a while back.
why I won't buy a k3 (Warning: Satire Thread) - Page 2576 - PentaxForums.com
03-26-2023, 07:01 AM   #100094
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I doubt it. I believe he died a few years ago. There was a post about it a while back.
why I won't buy a k3 (Warning: Satire Thread) - Page 2576 - PentaxForums.com
You have a mind like a steel trap Jim.

I do have a foggy recollection of it, but the page you link to doesn’t mention it.

Lots of talk about giant kitschy things like a carrot, eyeball, merino sheep, pineapple and a gumboot.

Nothing about @pentaxdude.
03-26-2023, 07:32 AM - 2 Likes   #100095
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

but the page you link to doesn’t mention it.
From the post and the linked article "Among people featured are Walt Klimasch, a local photographer who became ill and died suddenly last year."
At the time the research #1 and I did showed pretty conclusively that Walt Klimasch was Pentaxdude.