Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2023, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #100846
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Remind me to post a selfie of me, resplendent in lycra, to prove you wrong!
You did sometime in the past, long enough ago for memory to be fading a bit.

06-01-2023, 10:12 PM   #100847
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
The tax man will be excited as well
The tax is never more than the income, but combined with expenses might make the effective hourly rate somewhat low. If one gets means tested benefits the loss may exceed the gross wages.

Last edited by tim60; 06-01-2023 at 10:24 PM.
06-02-2023, 12:16 AM - 2 Likes   #100848
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
My motorbike helmet is a Bell and so is my bicycle helmet. My wife's just bought a Bell bicycle helmet too. Bell makes a good product.
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
They are good, no doubt. Years ago, back in the '70's a friend of mine had a 175cc (2 stroke single) motorcycle enduro. He was hit by a car, and went sliding on the road, headfirst into a curb.

He had a Bell helmet...the helmet absorbed the impact and he is still with us to this day. Hale and hearty.

He had asked me, just before this accident about what helmet to buy and wear. I had suggested a Bell helmet, as it was both DOT and Snell approved, and I wore one.

Best advice I've ever given.
I'm going to have to take a picture of a SA rated racing helmet I have. It is Kevlar, and I was a passenger in a 1995 Mustang Cobra Mystic (they had the fancy color shifting paint), one of 2,000 produced, as an instructor at a high performance driving school. The rear axle broke as we were rounding a corner, the car snapped around, and impacted an earth berm backwards and sideways, at over 100 mph. My helmet hit the pillar just behind the window on the side of the car. Shattered the helmet in several concentric circles.

After the helmet hit the pillar, my skull hit the inside of the helmet, then my brain smashed into the inside or my skull. Four collisions.

Resulted in a subdural hematoma.

The club bought me a new helmet.

The car was a total loss.

Oh, and it was a Bell helmet.
06-02-2023, 08:25 AM - 3 Likes   #100849
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Remind me to post a selfie of me, resplendent in lycra, to prove you wrong!
Just so long as Racer doesn’t post one of himself, nekkid, on any sort of bike. This is a family-type forum after all and we wouldn’t want to put Tim off his supper.

06-02-2023, 09:07 AM - 4 Likes   #100850
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Just so long as Racer doesn’t post one of himself, nekkid, on any sort of bike. This is a family-type forum after all and we wouldn’t want to put Tim off his supper.
Both Mark and Racer are moderators, they should know better. But if not, I'm here with the wet noodles...
06-02-2023, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #100851
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I'm going to have to take a picture of a SA rated racing helmet I have. It is Kevlar, and I was a passenger in a 1995 Mustang Cobra Mystic (they had the fancy color shifting paint), one of 2,000 produced, as an instructor at a high performance driving school. The rear axle broke as we were rounding a corner, the car snapped around, and impacted an earth berm backwards and sideways, at over 100 mph. My helmet hit the pillar just behind the window on the side of the car. Shattered the helmet in several concentric circles.

After the helmet hit the pillar, my skull hit the inside of the helmet, then my brain smashed into the inside or my skull. Four collisions.

Glad you're still with us. I've been in accidents over the years, but nothing approaching that one of yours.

Your Bell helmet saved you...and saved my friend. To me there is no better proof of high quality in a helmet, than that. Reminds me of the old saying...you get what you pay for. Bell helmets aren't cheap.

But as with you, I don't just automatically buy a Bell...I still check to make sure a motorcycle helmet has certification from both DOT and Snell approval, before I fork over the cash.

I used to see some motorcyclists wearing what we used to call 'porridge pot' helmets...or army surplus military helmets. In my view they were not safe, but some riders would wear them, just to comply (barely) with helmet laws in their home jurisdiction.

Well what can I say.
06-02-2023, 02:07 PM - 2 Likes   #100852
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I fell into the YouTube rabbit hole just now.

An Army training video. It brings a number of questions to mind.

Why is a chauffeur for a general driving a Chrysler K car, and not a Crown Vic?

And why is that chauffeur not armed, given there is concern for the safety of the general?

Last edited by Racer X 69; 06-02-2023 at 07:15 PM.
06-03-2023, 08:55 PM   #100853
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
You did sometime in the past, long enough ago for memory to be fading a bit.
Did you need therapy after?
06-03-2023, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #100854
Pentaxian

Did you need therapy after?
Actually, no.

Just content that memory is fading.

Not like Tucker who wrote a book call While Memory Serves.
06-05-2023, 07:46 AM - 2 Likes   #100855
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Today is Western Australia Day.

Western Australia Day

For all you Eastern Australians, you’ll need to get your own day.
06-05-2023, 09:01 PM - 3 Likes   #100856
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

My motorbike helmet is a Bell and so is my bicycle helmet. My wife's just bought a Bell bicycle helmet too. Bell makes a good product.
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
They are good, no doubt. Years ago, back in the '70's a friend of mine had a 175cc (2 stroke single) motorcycle enduro. He was hit by a car, and went sliding on the road, headfirst into a curb.

He had a Bell helmet...the helmet absorbed the impact and he is still with us to this day. Hale and hearty.

He had asked me, just before this accident about what helmet to buy and wear. I had suggested a Bell helmet, as it was both DOT and Snell approved, and I wore one.

Best advice I've ever given.

As promised, here are some shots of the helmet.

The good side.

The busted side.

The inside.

06-05-2023, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #100857
Pentaxian

As promised, here are some shots of the helmet.

The good side.

The busted side.

The inside.

It really is true...it's better to be safe that sorry. That Bell Magnum did its job.

BTW, I have a Bell Magnum helmet. Mine is silver in colour , with a black eye shade.
06-06-2023, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #100858
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Still, I'll have a bigger pile of cash at the end of the year, and that is a win.
The question is, where will you stash the cash?
06-06-2023, 12:06 PM - 2 Likes   #100859
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Bacon ...... Bacon ....... Bacon
Ahhhh, a voice of reason
06-06-2023, 12:56 PM - 3 Likes   #100860
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
The question is, where will you stash the cash?
Well I’m thinking that I can do the “catch up contributions” into an IRA, of which The Big Shed guys will match a portion of, and I have a couple of Z cars that are holes in the shop floor that I like to pour money into.

Then there is my desire to add one of these to my fleet:

Or this: