Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #16186
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
The TSA agents had no mercy. They took them all out, made sure everyone in the place saw them, cracked a bunch of bad jokes.
I'm sure their dull day was livened ... but ...

04-03-2015, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #16187
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That's news-speak for "We have no idea what's going on, but we're going to report on it anyway.
"Never let the facts get in the way of a good story." ~Mark Twain The quote is commonly (well, by me anyway) referred to as The Journalist's Creed.
The school I worked for, operated by a lay order of the Anglican Church, put out a news magazine called the Alberta Report. We got paid a dollar a day plus room and board; tough to get recruits at that wage. The publisher, Ted, decided to bring in his retired father who had been a reporter for the Toronto Telegram for over 30 years and Ted set him on a story on the Alberta Legislature and the Premier that no one had been able to get. A week later, old Vern was writing it up. Ted read the draft and started querying the facts. Finally, in his gruffest publisher persona, he asked Vern who these 'informed sources' who were alluded to throughout. Vern looked him in the eye and declared, "I am."
04-03-2015, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #16188
Veteran Member

That's like asking for it with those jerks
Like skinny dipping in a piranha tank!!
Hope she had disinfectant after they messed with her stuff!
04-03-2015, 01:11 PM   #16189
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yeah...them too! As for TSA...I get the full pat-down every time due to my prosthetic shoulder. It shows on the scan in much the same place as a shoulder holster.

Steve
Having not been on a commercial airline flight since before 9/11, and having had a total hip revision, I wonder what kind of search I would get?

04-03-2015, 01:21 PM   #16190
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Polyglass spikes it looks like.
Polyglass?

I used to get polyglass tires for my car. They had polyglass belts in them.

Best tires I ever had.
04-03-2015, 01:24 PM - 2 Likes   #16191
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Having not been on a commercial airline flight since before 9/11, and having had a total hip revision, I wonder what kind of search I would get?
People have always said you were totally hip, Racer X, and I misunderstood ... my bad!
04-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #16192
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Polyglass?

I used to get polyglass tires for my car. They had polyglass belts in them.

Best tires I ever had.
They use it now for some surgical implants too. Works well with plastic and the human body because it doesn't cause a whole lot of problems with rejection.

04-04-2015, 02:39 AM   #16193
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I flew west over the Pacific many times on United. Until last year they were STILL using 747s which you needed binoculars to see the screen down the front. They chose to inflict "man vs food" on us while travelling over Vanuatu, where it is always turbulent. Not a good taste choice! I find the idea of eating just to demonstrate how much I can eat to be a rather distasteful activity. Last year I was on one of their last 747 flights. They now use 777 for that route.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My uncle was the lead electrical engineer at Boing until the 727, when he retired. Sad to see they are starting to take his planes out of service. He was so very proud of those planes.
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I flew on 727's quite a few times. Then, of course, many flights on 737's. My favourite airplane is still, and probably always will be the 747. In the days before 9/11 I even managed to fly in the cockpit on a 747, on the jump-seat.
QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Ah, the good old days! You could walk anywhere at the airport. You could stand outside to watch the planes. Unhappy TSA agents with rubber gloves didn't exist! Although they could make a killing offering discount prostate exams while you're checking in now!
I flew on a 747 in 1991 or 1992, can't recall for sure. I got stuck on an aisle seat ( I prefer a window seat, preferably not over a wing ) at the vary back of the plane. Like when one rides a bus there was the door to the toilet across the aisle.

I leaned over the aisle and looked forward, and could see to the front, a long ways, to be sure. As the plane took off and landed, and at times during the flight I could see the floor undulate, like the ripples of water when you throw a pebble in, or like the wire of a clothes like when you pluck it.

It also twisted some, like a floating dock on a lake.

I know they are built to flex and move, but it felt odd to watch something so big move so much.

I read the other day that there are 35 unfilled orders for the 747. The US Air Force is looking to replace the fleet of presidential planes, and Boeing is the only company that responded to the RFP. So that may add a potential for a couple more of the 747 before production ends.

Who knows?

Last edited by Racer X 69; 04-04-2015 at 02:46 AM.
04-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #16194
Pentaxian

Only a couple of years ago I heard of development of a 747-800 for cargo. Surely that would remain available for a while. It remains the only plane its size sold for cargo. I guess that since it is now not fashionable for airlines no-one needs to order far ahead in order to get delivery when they want them. More popular planes often have order books many years long, so you need to get in with your order now to get it in 7 years time. Airlines do not work on 'instant gratification'. Even the car companies that make after order are able to deliver much closer to order time, even including shipping half way around the world.
04-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #16195
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Having not been on a commercial airline flight since before 9/11
As a little kid, I was once permitted to go into the cockpit to see the flight crew at work - a magical experience.
The Lufthansa incident shows how times have changed. :-(
04-05-2015, 02:01 AM   #16196
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
As a little kid, I was once permitted to go into the cockpit to see the flight crew at work - a magical experience.
The Lufthansa incident shows how times have changed. :-(

I went to Alice Springs about the time of the Munich Olympics in a 727 (TAA which changed its name to Australian Airlines and then got combined with Qantas to be the domestic bit of Qantas. Got a chance to go to the front for a bit. Would appreciate it much more now, and I cannot. Later we saw a bug crawling on the window so the hostess took of her shoe and hit the bug on the window to cause the life to go out of the bug. Next day took the mail plane to Ernabella. When I was there I talked to an older man one day. Someone who saw me talk to the man asked later: "do you know who that was?" "No." "Charlie Perkins." It was way back when Charles Perkins was just starting to become famous.
04-05-2015, 02:02 AM   #16197
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Someone who saw me talk to the man asked later: "do you know who that was?" "No." "Charlie Perkins." .
That's pretty cool, Tim!
04-05-2015, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #16198
Veteran Member

Attention Velveeta Lovers: Maybe we should rethink our Velveeta love and try to wean ourselves off this delightful delicacy? I read this on a recent post over in the Lounge, posted by a fierce Velveeta opponent and outspoken critic of the best all around cheesy treat on earth.

Mrs. Parallax is at church for bell choir practice so I was on my own and made one of my favorites. Banquet fried chicken. It's as crispy as Colonel Sanders' with even more grease. Mmmmmm, mmmmm!

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/132-pentaxian-lounge/255363-whats-dinner-...#ixzz3WRbKFmzi

Anyone with this sort of expertise, one that delights in a box of frozen mystery meat wrapped in greasy lard and of unknown origin is surely fit and qualified to knock delicious Velveeta...you think?

Regards!

Note: I did some research on a Banquet box of fried chicken and it said "Main ingredient: Parts of other parts." Who wouldn't call that one of their favorites? Maybe he has a diesel vehicle and uses the grease for fuel?
04-05-2015, 08:22 AM   #16199
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My second favorite would be a lutefisk and pickled herring lefse (with a generous schmeer of Vegemite) wrap.
04-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #16200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
My second favorite would be a lutefisk and pickled herring lefse (with a generous schmeer of Vegemite) wrap.
Well, that pretty much sealed the deal! Who could question you as the Official Gourmet Food Critic of this thread? We can take your word as gold with a palate like that!

Regards!