Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2016, 01:25 AM   #30406
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I don't know why there's such a culture of violence around football here in the UK. It's specific to that particular sport... you never see it at rugby matches, for instance (well, I never have).

Some years ago I went to a Millwall home game with one of my friends, who is a devout Millwall fan. Before-hand, we went for a couple of beers at a pub near the stadium. Despite having been in a few "situations" over the years, I have never before or since known such an atmosphere of aggression - it constantly felt like everything was about to kick off. At the match, there were three or four isolated fights of maybe 20 - 30 people in total, all of which had the potential to spiral out of control were it not for the many mounted police in body armour (both the officers and horses). The game was OK, but at the end of the match I was relieved to come home.
Blood sport.

Brings out the best in us.

I prefer this sport.

Aggression expressed in a much different way.

And fun!

{Tip: The audio on this is very good. Earbuds, headphones, or a really good hi-fi system is a must!}

10-30-2016, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #30407
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is another. The whole video follows the run of just one car, what looks like a former Formula 1 car.

Yee haw!
10-30-2016, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #30408
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Racer, there are only three things wrong with your sport;
1. the noise
2. the smell of fumes
3. I can't remember the third.
10-30-2016, 02:01 AM   #30409
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I *love* the smell of motorsport. When I was a kid, my Dad took me to a few speedway races (a variant of what I believe is called "flat track racing" in the US)... the bikes had - if I remember correctly - single cylinder two-stroke (I think) engines of around 500cc... The aroma of burning vegetable oil has stuck in my memory to this day. It's a wonderful smell

10-30-2016, 02:09 AM   #30410
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I *love* the smell of motorsport. When I was a kid, my Dad took me to a few speedway races (a variant of what I believe is called "flat track racing" in the US)... the bikes had - if I remember correctly - single cylinder two-stroke (I think) engines of around 500cc... The aroma of burning vegetable oil has stuck in my memory to this day. It's a wonderful smell
Castor oil.
10-30-2016, 02:20 AM   #30411
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

A nice run in a BMW.

Watch closely, the guy is cornering on 3 wheels in places.

10-30-2016, 02:29 AM   #30412
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice

Those 2002's were great - weird accelerator pedal, though (that's a "gas pedal" for you folks in the colonies )...

10-30-2016, 02:35 AM   #30413
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Racer, there are only three things wrong with your sport;
1. the noise
2. the smell of fumes
3. I can't remember the third.
But the noises and the smells are part of the experience.

Don't forget well weathered leather, hot metal and oil.

Sunlight on chrome, the blur of the landscape.

And the scent of country air.

10-30-2016, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #30414
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice

Those 2002's were great - weird accelerator pedal, though (that's a "gas pedal" for you folks in the colonies )...
I call it the loud pedal.
10-30-2016, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #30415
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Don't forget well weathered leather, hot metal and oil
Are we still on motorsport, Racer, or is this one of your fantasies?
10-30-2016, 03:19 AM   #30416
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Are we still on motorsport, Racer, or is this one of your fantasies?
I'm always on motorsport.

Yep.

I admit it.

I'm a gearhead.

Cut me and I bleed oil.
10-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #30417
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Castor oil.
As a fuel. It was the lubricant in early aero engines because it did not burn. So one of the comedians last week was saying that the scarves of WWI aviators were to try to keep castor oil spatter out of their mouths and once it had gone in, to assist them in cleaning up after the afters.

---------- Post added 10-31-16 at 05:07 AM ----------

I don't know why there's such a culture of violence around football here in the UK. It's specific to that particular sport... you never see it at rugby matches, for instance (well, I never have).

Some years ago I went to a Millwall home game with one of my friends, who is a devout Millwall fan. Before-hand, we went for a couple of beers at a pub near the stadium. Despite having been in a few "situations" over the years, I have never before or since known such an atmosphere of aggression - it constantly felt like everything was about to kick off. At the match, there were three or four isolated fights of maybe 20 - 30 people in total, all of which had the potential to spiral out of control were it not for the many mounted police in body armour (both the officers and horses). The game was OK, but at the end of the match I was relieved to come home.
I thought the solution to that is obvious. One notes that only soccer crowds suffer such violence. So change the rules of the game so there is more blood on the field so their desire to see blood, gore and injuries is satisfied by the employees of the soccer businesses that meet together at the fields. And secondly, to stop the eruption of violence over the scoring of a goal, change the goal posts to be about 2 metres extra on each side and at the top, making normal scores for games about 10 goals for each side, so that the result of a game does not depend on the umpire helping one side to score just one goal, or some other such perceived abuse.

And the umpires should not give free kicks to players who fall over because they got distracted when an opponent ran a bit near them.

Get real gladiators like either of the brands of rugby, very rarely violence amongst their crowds, or cricketers, who even dress like gladiators when they go out to bat.

There is a statue that makes me think of cricket at the door to the readers' entrance to the Bodleian Library. The man, in about 17th century armour, looks rather over dressed for cricket. I cannot help but think of that when I go by it. Nice library if you get a chance to use it.

Libraries with funny entrance rules: the Huntingdon in California. One of my students asked me to write a reference for him to use it, and he received a readers' ticket. But when he took me to the Huntingdon gardens, around the library, very nice place to visit, I was not allowed to go in. I was good enough to write a reference for someone else to use it but could not enter to see it for myself. I do like good libraries, the kind that have millions of volumes.
10-30-2016, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #30418
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blood sport.

Brings out the best in us.

I prefer this sport.

Bergmonster Bergrennen Mickhausen 2016 // Pure Amazing Hillclimb Sound // Risse V8 SLK 340 Opel DTM - YouTube

Aggression expressed in a much different way.

And fun

{Tip: The audio on this is very good. Earbuds, headphones, or a really good hi-fi system is a must!}
Very nice! A wannabe group B Audi Quarto. But still nice.
10-31-2016, 02:12 AM   #30419
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

In stock car racing they change 4 tires and dump in 24 gallons of fuel during a pit stop that lasts 12 to 13 seconds.

Pretty quick.

Indy cars get it done in around 6 seconds.

Time is money you know.

Formula One is faster yet. Usually around 3 seconds for 4 tires and fuel.

But today, at the F1 GP of Mexico, Lewis Hamilton got the in and out quick fuel and 4 tires deal in 2.1 seconds. That's smokin'!

Try and do anything in 2.1 seconds.

I dare you.

Well, except making exposures with a camera. That doesn't count.
10-31-2016, 04:02 AM   #30420
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I call it the loud pedal.
Ha! That's funny. I've long called it "the loud spoon".