Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2017, 09:53 PM   #33631
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The worst? Nope, that would be when I was helping my Grandad put sheet metal back on a barn where a windstorm had blown it off. I was handing him the sheets spread out across the grassy field. I noticed little swirls in the grass under a sheet, got me a stick and started probing. "

"Boy, I wouldn't be doing that." So what did he know? When they started coming out they all came out.....Bumblebees...and they stung me all over. Worse than the snake, much worse. Egg size knots all over my legs, arms and back. Lucky it didn't kill me.
I got stung bad like that twice as a boy. Once was a bumblebee nest similar to what you got into, the other was a nest of those steel blue wasps with the skinny waist. Hundreds of stings both times. Even happened in the same summer, when we lived in Norfolk, Virginia.

I think I was 8 or 9.

03-02-2017, 12:11 AM   #33632
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I got stung bad like that twice as a boy. Once was a bumblebee nest similar to what you got into, the other was a nest of those steel blue wasps with the skinny waist. Hundreds of stings both times. Even happened in the same summer, when we lived in Norfolk, Virginia.

I think I was 8 or 9.
On a family hike when i was maybe five or six, my sister (four years older) went to relieve herself, and unknowingly squatted over a wasp nest. That was a sight to see...
03-02-2017, 01:17 AM   #33633
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
On a family hike when i was maybe five or six, my sister (four years older) went to relieve herself, and unknowingly squatted over a wasp nest. That was a sight to see...
Ow!

My little sister went on a camping trip with her Girl Scout troop. No one told them about nettles.

Several of the girls found out the hard way when they went into the bushes to pee. Not as bad as wasp stings, but I bet some of them thought they were getting attacked by invisible bees.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 03-02-2017 at 02:16 AM.
03-02-2017, 01:25 AM   #33634
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Ow!

My little sister went on a camping trip with her Girl Scout troop. No one told them about nettles.

Several of the girls found out the hard way when they went into the bushes to pee. Not as bad as wasp stings, but I bet some of them though they were getting attacked by invisible bees.
I vividly remember an event from my childhood... I was maybe four or five years old. My friend and I were playing on top of a rusted old Rover 80 (yes, I even remember the model of car). I was wearing shorts, sandals and thin tee-shirt. I slipped and fell from the top of the car into a huge thicket of nettles that stung my feet, legs, hands, arms, neck and face. I actually couldn't move... my friend ran to get my Dad, and he had to come and haul me out of there. Some of the nettle stings had got through my tee-shirt, too. but mostly it was the exposed areas that were affected. I didn't react well - my Mum used up a couple of big bottles of calamine lotion trying to sooth the stinging...

There's a lot of things I don't remember from when I was so young, but I definitely remember that.

03-02-2017, 02:27 AM   #33635
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
. . . . . . . . but mostly it was the exposed areas that were affected.
Nettles only affect skin that has hair follicles, did you know that? The palms of our hands and bottoms of our feet have no follicles so do not react to the oils in nettles that cause the stinging.

And nettles are great boiled with a pinch of salt.
03-02-2017, 02:48 AM   #33636
Veteran Member

Nettles only affect skin that has hair follicles, did you know that? The palms of our hands and bottoms of our feet have no follicles so do not react to the oils in nettles that cause the stinging.

Not quite true. My dog once licked some nettles, spent the rest of the day with a swollen red tongue hanging out of his mouth. Also a pretty funny sight to see. At least after the vet explained what had happened. Before that it was a little scary.
03-02-2017, 02:56 AM   #33637
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
I bet!

I have had several wasp stings and bee stings, but never anything that bad. Worse was a bee sting on my tongue. (I was running and the poor bee flew into my mouth.)

More notable for me were the near misses: I narrowly escaped a bite from a boomslang (tree snake). Highly venomous snake, but they don't bite often. And, several near misses with puffadders, the snake that kills more people in sub-Saharan Africa than any other. I've been stung by scorpions multiple times but luckily never a very venomous one.

03-02-2017, 03:31 AM   #33638
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I have had several wasp stings and bee stings, but never anything that bad. Worse was a bee sting on my tongue. (I was running and the poor bee flew into my mouth.)
On your tongue? Oh my...

I'm been lucky... Never once been stung by a bee or a wasp in 47 years. I've had a few other stings and bites, though. The worst was from fire ants, while on vacation in Florida seven or eight years ago... I was taking a photo of some pelicans near the waterfront, and as I moved slowly forward, I didn't realise that I'd stood on an ant nest. The little blighters swarmed all over my feet and lower legs and bit me mercilessly. I still have some dark blotchy scars from the necrosis. The bites were bad enough, but it was the itching that ensued afterwards that was the really uncomfortable bit...
03-02-2017, 04:49 AM   #33639
Veteran Member

I think I was 8 or 9.

I'm allergic I head in the opposite direction when I see them, wasn't always but I developed it (my sister did as well, must be a family thing, she's worse off she has to carry an epic pen , I just swell locally
03-02-2017, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #33640
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On the subject of nettle, we always called it stinging nettle, there is a quick cure, jewelweed juice.
Jewelweed usually grows near areas of nettle and I've used its juice several times in the past.
I did not know that it's supposed to be good for poison ivy too.
Jewelweed, Poison Ivy Treatment from Nature, About Jewelweed plant

03-02-2017, 06:38 AM   #33641
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Nettles also produce nuts that are delicious...if you can pick them without getting stung. A distinct flavor between a pecan and an almond.

I have a strange natural immunity to scorpion bites. First discovered it when I was around 5 and we found a scorpion den, I picked one up and so did the other kids. We all got bit and everyone was running and squealing...but me. Got bit many times afterward, never with any result. As kids do, I turned it in my favor and started carrying them in my shirt pocket for defense....or to threaten my sisters in later years. Frogs and small snakes in my pocket worked well too.
Other stingers still affected me...in particular those big fat Bumblebees. I seldonm see them around here nowadays, but when I do....I'm outta there!

Regards!
03-02-2017, 07:36 AM   #33642
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
On the subject of nettle, we always called it stinging nettle, there is a quick cure, jewelweed juice.
Jewelweed usually grows near areas of nettle and I've used its juice several times in the past.
I did not know that it's supposed to be good for poison ivy too.
Jewelweed, Poison Ivy Treatment from Nature, About Jewelweed plant
it actually works...I didn't know about the nettle thing though

a river valley west of here grows poison ivy and yellow jackets
for years ivy wasn't an issue but apparently you can become sensitized with repeated exposure

was working at a farm
started itching and swelling
the woman of the house went into the ditch pulled up a plant
plucked the flowers and rubbed them on my hands and forearms
by the end of day I was ok

generally if you find jewelweed there will be poison ivy nearby...and hummingbirds
the hummers seem to like the nectar in the little flower cups
worth a stop in august and September if you know where some grows
03-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #33643
Veteran Member

Jewelweed is a touch-me-not and the seed pods pop open when pressed.

03-02-2017, 08:35 AM   #33644
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Aldis breakfast....came across this recipe and made them for dinner last night...not half bad! I don't generally like salmon, but love salmon patties!
Might be even better if Bob grilled them?
Southern Fried Salmon Patties Recipe - Food.com

Makes a good breakfast too! Can of salmon (Aldis $2.99) Big flaky biscuits (Aldis .89 cents) Aldis American cheese ($2.99- 50 pack) Aldis milk ($1.39 a gallon)
A little hot sauce and you are set to go!
Name:  DSCF0648-800.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  327.2 KB

Regards!
03-02-2017, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #33645
Veteran Member

BAGPIPES!!!