Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2020, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #81496
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have a black powder rifle, and from what a local gunsmith told me, it was made in the 1840's.
That's awesome!

10-31-2020, 03:45 PM - 10 Likes   #81497
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sankon Quote
I hesitate to post this, not least because this thread lost it's original (funny, useful) purpose long ago. But after three moderator posts in a row, all continuing the offtopic chat, it seems now or forever hold my peace: why is this thread allowed (and by the moderators' own contributions, encouraged) to become a general chat thing, whereas other threads equally harmless are firmly shutdown, often by those same moderators, for "going off topic"?

I own a K3, and come to this forum to see what if anything is new and interesting. This thread is always bubbling at the top with inanity about cars, crocodiles and other stuff. Perhaps it could be renamed or moved somewhere less specific to the K3? The activity means it pops up in Google when searching for the K3, and it makes neither a good impression on the model, Pentax, Pentaxians and dare I say, this forum.

I imagine this will be my last post.
Something just occurred to me.

There is a mention of moderators posting here, multiple times, in a row, off topic even. Yes, I, and others, responded, but looking at this again I get an additional takeaway.

Apparently moderators aren’t seen as members first, moderators second. Indeed, all of us are members of this community, drawn together by the common thread of photography, and Pentax cameras and lenses.

And every moderator was a member before volunteering to help moderate this awesome community. So is it not OK to mingle and socialize with other members, by virtue of having moderator status?

If it isn’t, then I should ask Adam to terminate my moderator status, as I enjoy participating in discussions on this forum, and for some reason I cannot discern, this discussion more than any other. Perhaps it is the free form nature of the conversation here. I’ve gotten to know most of the regular posters here quite well, and consider them my friends. If I am ever in their neighborhood, I will message them and try to coordinate a meetup for a beer or coffee.

There are thousands of discussions here, but I doubt many that are as close as this one.

It is an anomaly, for sure. And to those who stumble upon it, expecting the regimented, stay on topic nature of most discussions may be given to pause, be put off balance by it.

I can’t explain it.

I just accept it.

So join in if you like, get to know the regulars. Who knows, you might make some new friends.

cheesy

Last edited by Racer X 69; 11-18-2020 at 04:53 PM.
10-31-2020, 03:48 PM - 4 Likes   #81498
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So join in if you like, get to know the regulars. Who knows, you might mak some new friends.
Nah, all the guys posting in here are unsociable gits, not likely friends
10-31-2020, 04:03 PM - 3 Likes   #81499
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not knowledgeable on firearms, but a camera buddy of mine (Canon guy) a few years ago got into target shooting ..:
Target shooting with a cannon sounds like fun; what range and what kind of targets? People would like to know!

10-31-2020, 04:25 PM - 4 Likes   #81500
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Nah, all the guys posting in here are unsociable gits, not likely friends
Ah, there's the lad.

Now give us a tune onthe pipes for Sir Sean.
10-31-2020, 04:56 PM - 2 Likes   #81501
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I thought Berties pipes were burnt and drowned in the great boating/ canoe fire.

Dave
10-31-2020, 05:50 PM - 6 Likes   #81502
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Target shooting with a cannon sounds like fun; what range and what kind of targets? People would like to know!
The Cannon he shot with was a 400 mm. He would set it at 5.6 for maximum range. He liked shooting birds and he was pretty good at it. Not much left of the birds after shooting them with a Cannon, though.

10-31-2020, 08:57 PM   #81503
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
When driving big trucks I got used to sleeping while the truck idled all night. I then found it difficult to sleep at home, in a quiet room. Talking about it with my dispatcher, a former truck driver himself, and he suggested I start the lawnmower and place it outside the bedroom window.
Why did you have truck idle all night? Could you not turn it off for a reason?
10-31-2020, 09:13 PM - 4 Likes   #81504
Pentaxian

Whether it is Sankon’s last post or not, this thread is indeed a special, free wheeling conversation about anything, everything, and nothing - all at the same time. You moderators are, like Racer said, members first and cat-herders second. The decisions to keep the thread active made long ago and after you guys all hashed it out. So my vote is to let it stay, and maybe see if Sankon can accept that, jump in, and indulge in the inanity like the rest of us. Being inane sometimes can be like finding an oasis in the Sahara!

And RIP Sir Connery. Damn you 2020!!!
10-31-2020, 09:49 PM - 2 Likes   #81505
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Probably because it runs the in truck cab heater. But I'm guessing.

I know up here, particularly in the northern part of our province it gets extremely cold at night in winter.....also during the day and there is a legitimate fear if the truck's engine is turned off at night, you may not get it going again in the middle of nowhere. If the outside temp is consistently around -35 to -40 it is hard to believe for those who haven't experienced this bitter cold how cold it is. In my case I've experienced it.

Years ago our outside metal storm door (we have 2 doors at each outside doorway), broke off at the metal hinges because of the extreme cold.

The door had been made in Idaho, which gets pretty cold and their winters are long and hard. The factory guy had trouble believing me when I told him, and he said it gets cold down here too...exactly how cold was it when your door hinges broke. I said it went down to -41 that night.

He replied...oh...we'll send you a new outside door.
10-31-2020, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #81506
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdude Quote
I have been waiting for the announcement of the k3 for some time.Now that the camera is out and seeing the pics and seeing "ricoh on the back of the screen turns me off.Only a matter of time before we see Ricoh on the front of the camera.I think ricoh just shot themselves in the foot.My reasoning behind this is I make a living in photography.I shoot lots of weddings and It seems more people ask on what camera I'am using.I have had quite a few people turn me down because I shoot with pentax.They just know canon and nikon.I l was turned down on other major sporting events because I shoot with Pentax.This all happened a few years back and I will admit that some people are starting to recognize that pentax can keep up with the big guys.If Ricoh puts their name in front of the camera I feel it will throw them back to the dark ages..I'am quite happy with my k5s and all my pentax glass and will continue to shoot pentax,but hesitating to by new equiptment because of this matter.I do also own nikon and canon slr's but I'am a pentaxian and as long as it says Pentax on the front of the camera I'am happy.

Mod disclaimer: this thread has turned into a humorous discussion and it no longer reflects facts about the Pentax K-3 DSLR. Enter and post at your own risk, and have fun!
This is a new security feature. Thieves will not want to steal a camera with an unknown Logo on it. Let them steal the Nikons, Canons, and Sonys. We will be safe with the Ricoh anti-theft Logo.

Last edited by mithrandir; 10-31-2020 at 09:59 PM. Reason: spelling
10-31-2020, 10:52 PM - 2 Likes   #81507
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Probably because it runs the in truck cab heater. But I'm guessing.

I know up here, particularly in the northern part of our province it gets extremely cold at night in winter.....also during the day and there is a legitimate fear if the truck's engine is turned off at night, you may not get it going again in the middle of nowhere. If the outside temp is consistently around -35 to -40 it is hard to believe for those who haven't experienced this bitter cold how cold it is. In my case I've experienced it.

Years ago our outside metal storm door (we have 2 doors at each outside doorway), broke off at the metal hinges because of the extreme cold.

The door had been made in Idaho, which gets pretty cold and their winters are long and hard. The factory guy had trouble believing me when I told him, and he said it gets cold down here too...exactly how cold was it when your door hinges broke. I said it went down to -41 that night.

He replied...oh...we'll send you a new outside door.
I figured as much Les. Must be because of the cold. You're near Winnipeg, correct? I've been there. It's what we safas would describe as "leeu koud"
10-31-2020, 11:01 PM   #81508
Pentaxian

I figured as much Les. Must be because of the cold. You're near Winnipeg, correct? I've been there. It's what we safas would describe as "leeu koud"
I'm in the south area of Winnipeg, but unfortunately being in the south area of the 'Peg....never translates to tropical temps. Not sure what 'leeu koud' means Mark, but I have a feeling it is in my favour.
10-31-2020, 11:26 PM - 1 Like   #81509
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in the south area of Winnipeg, but unfortunately being in the south area of the 'Peg....never translates to tropical temps. Not sure what 'leeu koud' means Mark, but I have a feeling it is in my favour.
Leeu = Lion. Koud = Cold. A lion has a mane of hair around it's head. When it's that cold, all you see is a head and mane, nothing else.
11-01-2020, 01:18 AM - 2 Likes   #81510
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In the southern sun belt states they also do it to run the air conditioner, TV, microwave etc. It also provides white noise to drown noise from other rigs stopping and starting. Some states do not permit it. Some big rigs have an auxiliary power unit.