Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2020, 02:19 PM - 3 Likes   #82906
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
And when word got back home, there might have been a follow-up! (And I don't mean parents running off to school to abuse the teacher!)
My dad used to say..." If you get in trouble at school, you're getting twice as bad when you get back here." As far as I know of the 5-10 times I experienced corporal punishment, he never found out about any of them.

12-09-2020, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #82907
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I remembered a Mad Magazine spoof of Then Came Bronson. 1970, so I was 23, married, became a dad that year, and still getting Mad.
Sometimes it blows my mind what can be found on the internet.

Bronson MAD Magazine June 1970
Mad magazine, Alfred E. Neuman.

I used to read it too and also the British humorous magazine , Punch. Punch is gone now, but I'm not sure if Mad is still around.
12-09-2020, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #82908
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My dad used to say..." If you get in trouble at school, you're getting twice as bad when you get back here." As far as I know of the 5-10 times I experienced corporal punishment, he never found out about any of them.
Mine too, and my dad never found out about any corporal punishment I received either.
12-09-2020, 02:27 PM - 3 Likes   #82909
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Mad magazine, Alfred E. Neuman.

I used to read it too and also the British humorous magazine , Punch. Punch is gone now, but I'm not sure if Mad is still around.
Punch mag may be gone, but "Private Eye" mag is still here!

12-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #82910
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Punch mag may be gone, but "Private Eye" mag is still here!
Thx for the link. I'll check it out.
12-09-2020, 02:33 PM   #82911
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Because it is fun.
Cold cannot be fun. It is against the law. People who purposely stay in the cold probably don't like bacon.
12-09-2020, 02:35 PM   #82912
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mine too, and my dad never found out about any corporal punishment I received either.
Mine certainly did

12-09-2020, 02:45 PM   #82913
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Mine certainly did
Did you tell your father ? Did you rat out on yourself ?
12-09-2020, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #82914
Pentaxian

Did you tell your father ? Did you rat out on yourself ?
Avoiding politics as much as possible, Have to say. I experienced corporal punishment maybe twice grades 1-6 in the U.S, and probably 6-8 time in Canada, grades 7- 12. I'm not even sure where to put that. Everyone always seems to think Canadians are so nice. I don't know, maybe I just went though a rebellious stage. But I'm sure I was punished for things in Canada I wouldn't have been in the states. This is even neglecting to count my grade 7 science teacher who struck me at least 5 times with a ruler for having messy handwriting. He also used to loudly slap the back of my and other students necks on the way by for no apparent reason. My time in teacher training taught me, this is not an effective strategy, and my hand writing is still messy. It didn't do me any good. I think it was therapy for him.
12-09-2020, 04:03 PM - 3 Likes   #82915
Pentaxian

Avoiding politics as much as possible, Have to say. I experienced corporal punishment maybe twice grades 1-6 in the U.S, and probably 6-8 time in Canada, grades 7- 12. I'm not even sure where to put that. Everyone always seems to think Canadians are so nice. I don't know, maybe I just went though a rebellious stage. But I'm sure I was punished for things in Canada I wouldn't have been in the states. This is even neglecting to count my grade 7 science teacher who struck me at least 5 times with a ruler for having messy handwriting. He also used to loudly slap the back of my and other students necks on the way by for no apparent reason. My time in teacher training taught me, this is not an effective strategy, and my hand writing is still messy. It didn't do me any good. I think it was therapy for him.
In grade one, the lefties and me...a rightie, but I hold my pen in a weird way, used to get out knuckles rapped when we learning how to hold a pen, print, write, etc. In grade eight in a shops class, I got the strap, along with another guy for talking in class. Things were different then. Most of us go through a rebellious phase when we're younger teenagers

When I was first driving from 16 to about 19, I was pulled over by the police a lot. Think it had something to do with speeding, rolling through stop signs, etc.

Funny thing is, in the past 40 years I've only been pulled over once by the police and that was by the RCMP. A buddy and I were coming in from a National Park and I was driving my car. Speed limit on the road was 100 kph, I was doing 130 kph. The Mountie pulled me over, asked me if I knew how fast I was going and I said no, I didn't. He told me, and I was surprised.

But I was going at a good clip. Traffic wasn't heavy, my friend who I've known for over 50 years and I were talking about the good, old days and I had forgotten to put the car on cruise control, which I always do, Except this time. Speed crept up, unbeknownst to me or my buddy as were too busy yakking away.

The Mountie checked my license and driving record on his computer, saw that it was 100 % clean in the past 40 odd years and just gave me a warning. Which was fair.
12-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #82916
Forum Member

I still love my two Pentax cameras and my collection of Pentax and compatible lenses. I tried some medium class Canon and Nikon DSLRs and I did not like them a bit. I am not too happy about the Ricoh branding but it is a big company nevertheless. I might cover the letters though ;-)
12-09-2020, 04:25 PM - 4 Likes   #82917
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I sauntered across the road in some Candian prairie town / city, cannot remember which, when I heard a Police siren and a cop car pulled to a sudden screeching stop next to me.

The cop, who must have been having a bad day, yelled at me: "Why did you cross the road here?"
I replied: (Slowly, like someone speaking to a deranged person) "To...get...to...the...other...side."

I've never seen someone go so red, so quickly. (Other than perhaps the teacher with the cane who I mentioned earlier.)

I did not get a ticket. I think he realised, from the accent, that I was not from round there.
12-09-2020, 04:27 PM - 4 Likes   #82918
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by q_crack Quote
I still love my two Pentax cameras and my collection of Pentax and compatible lenses. I tried some medium class Canon and Nikon DSLRs and I did not like them a bit. I am not too happy about the Ricoh branding but it is a big company nevertheless. I might cover the letters though ;-)
What on earth does that have to do with bacon?

(This is the satire thread, in case you did not notice.)
12-09-2020, 04:32 PM - 6 Likes   #82919
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
or when trying to sneak back in the house late at night.
Quite!

Completely unrelated but...

A friend of mine woke up one morning with his dad walking into his room and asking him if he had a bit too much to drink the night before. Said friend replied that he only had a few drinks (which was of course absolute bull - he was almost blind drunk). To which his dad replied: "Yeah right". He still had his motorbike helmet on.
12-09-2020, 04:42 PM - 2 Likes   #82920
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
he never found out about any of them.
My dad went to a small rural school where (until my mum and family moved into the district) everyone was either a sibling or cousin.
Word apparently always reached home very quickly.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »