Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2020, 04:16 AM - 2 Likes   #83131
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It's spread world wide! I have the same problem! Maybe it's in the water.
Could be that the water is nothing more than recycled dinosaur urine.

12-16-2020, 04:32 AM - 2 Likes   #83132
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Could be that the water is nothing more than recycled dinosaur urine.
Maybe we can blame "climate change".
12-16-2020, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #83133
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Of bicycles, e bicycles and small Honda motorcycles.

A Cycle World article written by one of my favourite writers, Peter Egan. A pleasant, entertaining journey with an E- Bike and a modern Honda 50 scooter, ut now powered by a 125cc engine and surprisingly economical.

Honda 125 Super Cub vs. Aventon Level Ebike | Cycle World

I bet some will be thinking about getting a small Honda or an E bike, after they read this article.
No need. I already have an E bike His description of riding one is spot on.

QuoteQuote:
Besides giving you the illusion of soaring just above the ground under your own power, the bike lures you into a kind of euphoria of sustained speed. You tend to pedal harder than usual, just because it feels so good to go fast.
12-16-2020, 05:17 AM - 4 Likes   #83134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe we can blame "climate change".
Why not?
Every thing else is blamed on climate change: hotter, colder, wetter, dryer, more wind, less wind, wind from a different direction...

12-16-2020, 05:32 AM - 2 Likes   #83135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Why not?
Every thing else is blamed on climate change: hotter, colder, wetter, dryer, more wind, less wind, wind from a different direction...
It's almost like thermodynamics messes everything up when the weather gets knocked out of whack
12-16-2020, 06:16 AM - 7 Likes   #83136
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I called out to Mrs. P one morning "There's some old goat staring in our bathroom window!"
She said "we don't have a window in the bathroom. Now finish shaving or you'll be late".
12-16-2020, 07:15 AM - 5 Likes   #83137
Veteran Member

Be like me you old farts.
Forever young if you block your face with a xatneP.

12-16-2020, 07:22 AM - 5 Likes   #83138
Veteran Member

I think my mirror has a fault then... never see any old geezers in it - just a handsome young fella!
12-16-2020, 08:11 AM - 3 Likes   #83139
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Be like me you old farts.
Forever young if you block your face with a xatneP.

xatneP.

Is that a Russian camera?
12-16-2020, 08:13 AM - 2 Likes   #83140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
xatneP.

Is that a Russian camera?
It's pronounced "Hatper"

Last edited by Serkevan; 12-16-2020 at 11:34 AM.
12-16-2020, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #83141
Pentaxian

It's spread world wide! I have the same problem! Maybe it's in the water.
If it's in the water and in North America and New Zealand....the 'water' has to be the Pacific Ocean.
12-16-2020, 10:35 AM - 2 Likes   #83142
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
No need. I already have an E bike His description of riding one is spot on.

Peter Egan is a wonderful writer and consistently captures experiences with machinery that others can relate .

I have several of his books. They are mostly anecdotal collections of his columns and stories about his experiences, travels and the cars and motorcycles he had had/or ridden and interactions with people he has met. He wrote for Road & Track and Cycle World magazines.

Peter Egan (columnist) - Wikipedia
12-16-2020, 11:40 AM - 9 Likes   #83143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I think my mirror has a fault then... never see any old geezers in it - just a handsome young fella!
Bert,

I think the problem is, that your mirrors maybe of too recent manufacture. Mirrors, like good wine and fine steaks....need to age...before they will reach their full potential.

Keep those mirrors for a few years....say some decades and you will eventually start seeing an old geezer. Hopefully it won't be too shocked at the transformation.

There was actually a book written and a movie made about this change.

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Wikipedia

12-16-2020, 03:21 PM - 4 Likes   #83144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
#1,

You're getting some great pix of motorcycles and I enjoy them. That makes one of us, eh !

I have been to a number of motorcycle ice races over the years. In North America, bikes that are ice raced are generally motocross and enduro bikes, with small studs inserted in their knobby tires. They work well and the racing often is very competitive and exciting.

Years ago, back in the '70's my BIL (also a motorcyclist) and I went to a motorcycle ice race in my province. There were the usual bikes.... the motocross/ enduros and the racers were from my province and some neighbouring provinces and states.

The race happened to be on the race calendar as a place that racers could earn national points for the ice racing Canadian championship, so there was one guy from Quebec who was in attendance and had come quite a distance in an effort to score some national points.

He had a Czechoslovakian made Jawa 500cc, pure race bike. It weighed about 165-180 pounds, had spikes about 3 inches long on the tires and the Jawa racers were the motorcycles that regularly clean up world championship speedway and ice racing titles in Europe. This was an exceedingly serious piece of racing equipment....from another planet compared to what the other guys were running.

There were a couple of races , where the Jawa was entered.

It was no contest, like a Ferrari vs Kia sedans. The bike launched like a fuel dragster from the start and then just started lapping the other motorcycles. It was overkill, but at the same time, I had never before, nor have I seen after, such an incredible display of riding prowess or such an overwhelming racing machine in my time.

These Jawa 500 racers are as mentioned, both in speedway and ice racing form. The one linked is a speedway model, but really there is little difference, except for spikes and protective fenders that the ice racers have to avoid inflicting damage on fallen riders.

There are some youtube ice and speedway videos out there, that I haven't linked.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEw...07457563780834
Years ago, I had a 1981 Suzuki RM125 but no snow machine. I live in Canada in case you have not figured that out yet. Not wanting to be left out "in the cold" so to speak, I inserted machine screws into the the knobbies of my motocross bike. Well wow, what a blast. Sideways blasting out ice shards, wheeling on ice, 8- - 100 kph on a frozen snowmobile trail. It was a lot of fun.
12-16-2020, 03:23 PM - 2 Likes   #83145
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Why would you race on ice? Why would you do anything on ice?
I think I just answered that